Red bug

Williamthegr88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed I have red bug on my acropora a couple of days ago, I read from a few articles about interceptor a treatment typically for dogs. I am thinking about treating my whole tank and read about taking crabs, snails and shrimp out. My question is would I have to take out anemones? If anyone has any experience with this treatment your input would be appreciated thankyou.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove shrimp and crabs. Everything else will be fine. I did 4 full tank treatments. 4 weeks consecutively, at double strength, and even didn’t do a water or carbon change on the final two and my
Bubbletip anemones, snails, and urchins all had zero response. Acted normal and continue to act normal. Zero losses.

OP
OP
Williamthegr88

Williamthegr88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know I have hitch hikers in there brittle starfish I'll try but there really small and hard to find

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr G's Coral dip from Dr. Foster and Smith. It has the same ingredient as Interceptor and is easily found online.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you still treat your whole tank with the dr g coral dip?
I would not use coral dip in the display tank. That stuff is meant to be washed off before the coral even goes in the display. Not good long term.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat your entire tank with interceptor but it is not without risks. I’ve done it several times. The downside to it is you will lose any and all copepods and amphipods as well as any shrimp and crabs most likely. All other inverts and fish for me have tolerated the treatment fine. I’ve had urchins, snails, worms, anemones, all corals and fish tolerate tank wide treatments. The problem with dr G’s is that it is so diluted that it’s intended to make one gallon of dip per bottle. And at $20 per bottle it would become comically expensive to use it as an in tank treatment. Interceptor isn’t EASY to get but not impossible. I’ve managed to locate it on multiple occasions from multiple sources. The large dog pills are far more effective as an in tank treatment. Ask yourself what is easier. Replacing your copepods in a month, or pulling mature acros off the rocks, attempting to kill off every shred of encrusted base, fill a whole hospital tank, and dip each colony in dr G’s once a week for 3-4 weeks, and then re-introduce them all....

Dr G’s is awesome and convenient, but as a dip for new arrivals. I couldn’t imagine using it to treat a tank wide infestation

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back