Red Bugs Question?

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean life cycle? There eggs? If so redbugs do not lay eggs they are livebearers....

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I just quaranteed all my SPS in another tank while dosing interceptor and i was wondering how long will it take them to die off in my display tank, I have heard 5 days but I want to make sure!!

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I just quaranteed all my SPS in another tank while dosing interceptor and i was wondering how long will it take them to die off in my display tank, I have heard 5 days but I want to make sure!!

They should die within the first few hours, people run interceptor in there tanks 12-24 hours which has been plenty...

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why would you want to quarantine all your SPS in another tank while treating your display with Interceptor? If some of your SPS have red bugs on them, you will introduce red bugs back into your display once you put your SPS back.

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry let me re explain! I am dosing the interceptor in my 29 gallon gallon quarantine tank that contains all of my SPS. I was wondering how long I have to wait for the red bugs to die in my display tank that now has no SPS for them to feed on, so I can add my now treated SPS pieces back into it?

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would have dosed the DT but last I read it is best to let the tank go SPS free for 1-3 months.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to dose your main tank for red bugs, and you'll need to do it three weeks in a row. That's the best way to be sure they are eradicated. Once your crabs and shrimp have been removed from the tank, treat the system with the correct dosage. 12 hours later, turn on your skimmer and run carbon actively in a canister filter or Phosban reactor. A week later, repeat. A week later, repeat. Do a decent water change, wait 48 hours, then move your crabs and shrimp back into the system.

Now your tank will be redbug free forever. Provided, of course, that you dose every new arrival in a quarantine tank for 12 hours. I treated my reef years ago, and never got them again. No new frag ever entered my system without an interceptor bath.

Melevsreef.com - Interceptor | Red Bug treatment

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even if there are no SPS in my display tank the red bugs will still survive for weeks? While I have them in quarantine.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you doing this your way? What's the reasoning behind it?

BIGBIRD123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc is correct on his procedure but I did one up. I had heard that their cycle was 5 days, so I dosed my DT 3 times in 15 days. Now, nothing goes in my tank without going thru a 6 hr dip of Levasole and Interceptor.

...and How you doing Marc?

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the tank already set up its a 29 gallon biocube and I have mostly SPS frags so it really only took 15 minutes to transfer them over! I have alot of chalices that I did not want to stress with the death of all my pods. I have no fish yet so there are a ton of them. So what would you suggest. I just treated the Biocube today and it looks like there is not a red bug in site on any of the sps. I am just trying to figure out when i can add them to the DT.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices will be 100% unaffected by the meds, and wouldn't be hurt by pods dying.

If you want to wait a month before putting your SPS back in, go for it. Hopefully your method will work for you, but remember you have to 12-hour dip every new arrival from this day forward. It's easiest to keep your quarantine tank running so it is always ready for a new arrival.

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did not want a spike in ammonia or any other ill affects, anyways do you think a month is long enought to wait to make sure all of the red bugs are dead in the DT since they have no SPS to feed on?

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not have any ill effects. You are way over-thinking this. Just put your corals back in the tank and treat the system. Redbugs have been seen on other corals including and not limited to Frogspawn and Torches. These are tiny fleas, and their death won't be a blip on your system. This is the easiest of all pests to treat for, and I only wish we had the same method for other pests.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back