Red coloring in rock

Nittro22

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2020
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Location
Myrtle Beach
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to salt water, had my tank setup since April. I Have been getting red “slime” in my rock. It only appears on the rock against the glass and no where else in the tank. Any help on what it is or how to get rid of it.

55 gallon
Crushed coral substrate

F0B8B7C7-DB08-415C-BEDA-4A8D16692332.jpeg
 
That is the part that is exposed to sunlight. I scrape it off when I do water changes but it always comes back.

Yep, diatoms/algae growth. Might want to shield your tank from the light or use UV window treatment. I don't see it harming anything in the short term. As time goes by it will likely blacken as nutrients under the sand fuel the growth. It will 'sludge' up eventually (1+ year down the road). Dr Tim's Waste Away will help with that, but only blocking the light will slow it down.
 
No part should see sunlight.
That spectrum brings the bad algae’s
Only reef spectrum lighting should be employed
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new