OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I noticed is it's up on your rockwork, and hadonni is a sand dwellar, not sure what's up there.

If it had a bacterial infection, it would not have lasted 4mo at LFS, so something happened from that point if LFS is being straight w/ you.

I don't know what the issue is from here, it sounds like you put a bit of faith in LFS to test for you, not the best idea usually, not sure what or how accurate their tests are.

People that get sensitive anemone's should be testing w/ quality kits on their own, and I would never get a sensitive anemone w/out having cipro on hand, and all nems really should be qt'd and observed before placing in display, infections can pass to other nems, and it's least invasive to treat right away when in QT

No, Its actually pure sand, look closer..
Was In sand as deep as the rock work, one point was footed on the glass on the very bottom.
Now on the lower sand-bed In between a glass pane center brace for light diffusion.

Hello, fellow reefers.. The plot thickens!

Went to the LFS today to get a Sailfert Test kit/had them test my water to:

LFS: Sailfert
Calcium: 420
Mag-1400
Alk 8.0
Salanity 1.024
Nitrate 0.1
Phosphate 0.1

Me: Sailfert
Calcium 420
Mag 1400
Alk 8.0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

So water quality Is obviously not the issue, well, not entirely..
My LFS thinks the tank could be to clean, never let anyone tell you to get a skimmer to have a clean system.

Their LED where at 100% power with 4 blue pluss t5 bulbs..Only Blue spectrums.

Mine was at 50% power 15% white 10% red 20% green 100% blue 70% UV Viloet 100% Royal 50%
Now my lights are at about 80% power, but the anemone Is much lower and between the lights instead of under them.

The new light recipe Is: 75% UV 80% Violet Royal 90% Blue 90% 0% green 0% red 0% white..
I also bought two blue plus bulbs.

My hydra lights start at 1 ramp up to full at 4, then start to ramp down at 7, to turn off completely by 10pm.
The blue plus will turn on between 4-7

I attached a picture of the anemone In the tank this morning before lights come-on..

thumbnail_IMG_8306.jpg

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
............sec

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% UV 80% Violet Royal 90% Blue 90% 0% green 0% red 0% white

Try:

UV: 70
Royal Blue: 90
Blue: 90
Green: 20
Red: 15
White: 20

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second picture you posted, is that where you initially put the nem when you first placed it into the tank, or did it walk up there ?

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current spectrum recipe I use is in conjunction with what my LFS had the specimen at in their tank. Including the addition of Blue plus Bulbs.

Before today, my recipe looked almost exactly like the what you recommended.
With no T5 support. Yes picture two was the original spot I placed it in, was directly under one of the Hydra’s which was at 50% power. Both my hydras where at 50% power. With 1hr ramp timing. I now switched over to 4 hr ramp timing at roughly 40% power with the T5 turning on in the peak 3hr interval.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, just can't see any possible issues from here, what a bummer, such a pricey nem, wish I could say or do more.
Sure hope it turns around.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Its actually pure sand, look closer..
Was In sand as deep as the rock work, one point was footed on the glass on the very bottom.
Now on the lower sand-bed In between a glass pane center brace for light diffusion.

Hello, fellow reefers.. The plot thickens!

Went to the LFS today to get a Sailfert Test kit/had them test my water to:

LFS: Sailfert
Calcium: 420
Mag-1400
Alk 8.0
Salanity 1.024
Nitrate 0.1
Phosphate 0.1

Me: Sailfert
Calcium 420
Mag 1400
Alk 8.0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

So water quality Is obviously not the issue, well, not entirely..
My LFS thinks the tank could be to clean, never let anyone tell you to get a skimmer to have a clean system.

Their LED where at 100% power with 4 blue pluss t5 bulbs..Only Blue spectrums.

Mine was at 50% power 15% white 10% red 20% green 100% blue 70% UV Viloet 100% Royal 50%
Now my lights are at about 80% power, but the anemone Is much lower and between the lights instead of under them.

The new light recipe Is: 75% UV 80% Violet Royal 90% Blue 90% 0% green 0% red 0% white..
I also bought two blue plus bulbs.

My hydra lights start at 1 ramp up to full at 4, then start to ramp down at 7, to turn off completely by 10pm.
The blue plus will turn on between 4-7

I attached a picture of the anemone In the tank this morning before lights come-on..

thumbnail_IMG_8306.jpg
Phosphate at 0.1 seems high. Most people strive for less than 0.05 at the max, ideally in the 0.03 range. Im not too familiar with nems though so I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o.01! thats why when I tested alone, It was zero...

When I tested the water at the LFS they where shocked, told me that my nutrients where lower In my system then the system they kept him In at the shop,
Thats why they thought maybe my tanks to clean for a carpet..?

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other corals/inverts in your system, how long have you had them and do you ever lose any mysteriously? I've heard some anecdotes about black sand sometimes having high amounts of hard metals. I'd definitely pick up a poly-filter and throw some carbon in, I have to assume a water quality issue if the LFS is telling the truth (something you're not testing for). Also I don't see any powerheads in your photos, do you have any flow? Haddoni's don't need to be blasted with flow, but if you have very low flow that could be adding to the stress.

Last edited:

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, was the foot potentially damaged when they removed it for you? If so that could be the reason for sure. If it were damaged, QT with cipro is probably your best bet at getting it healthy again, damaged feet can be really hard to overcome.

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other corals/inverts in your system, how long have you had them and do you ever lose any mysteriously? I've heard some anecdotes about black sand sometimes having high amounts of hard metals. I'd definitely pick up a poly-filter and throw some carbon in, I have to assume a water quality issue if the LFS is telling the truth (something you're not testing for). Also I don't see any powerheads in your photos, do you have any flow? Haddoni's don't need to be blasted with flow, but if you have very low flow that could be adding to the stress.

The foot has no signs of damage, last night he moved again. Now he Is up on a sand bed trying to dig his foot into the sand, he seems to be having trouble doing that..
Its about a 6in deep sand-bed underneath him, no rocks just glass under him.

I haven't lost any coral/invert I had a ich problem two months ago, lost a powder blue. My other 9 fish all survived..

Yellow watchman goby (first fish I ever bought, been with me for 4 years)
3 Pink Skunk clownfish
Dartfish (2)
Virgilate Rabbitfish
Lawnmower Blenny
Very large blue spot goby
2 pistol shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
8 peppermint shrimp

Tube Anemone
Orange-Ball-Pseudocorynactis
Amber gorgonian
Nirvana paly(s)
Jubilee Paly(s)
Rasta Zoa(s)
Green agave Paly(s)
Red zoa(s)
Purple death Paly(s)
Captain America Paly(s)
Blue bounce mushroom (2)
Ricordia Yuma (1)
Pssamaocra Yellow Yutz
Policopra
Bubble coral
Cynaria
Rock flower
Mini Maxi-Dark heart
Purple Blasto

Red Haddoni !

I have a gyre pump Its been off since his addition, more then enough flow as Is.
An dont want him getting sucked into a shredder..

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your water matches closely to the lfs.
But my question is, how long did it take you to acclimate the carpet when you got it home?
I hope your honest answer is more than an hour. They are very delicate as you now see.
Good luck with it. I hope it recovers.

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your water matches closely to the lfs.
But my question is, how long did it take you to acclimate the carpet when you got it home?
I hope your honest answer is more than an hour. They are very delicate as you now see.
Good luck with it. I hope it recovers.

I never drip acclimate In a separate container, say what you will but to me thats more stress on both me and the creature.

I turned off the tank lights so he wouldn't fry up right on the light while I let him float for 30min,
then I untied the bag and mixed my tank water In the bag and put him In the tank.

Whole process was an hour, day one he still looked good immediately footed on a rock under the sand..
By the end of day 2 he was curling up, not sure If It was away, or towards the light. Day 3 he wanted to move an unfooted himself..

My lights haven't turned on yet but he looks strange right now..
His foot Is In the down direction, some sand had been pushed In but hes Is kinda just laying his foot on the sand like he wants to drill In..
This Is the new spot he moved to last night,

Again 6in sandbed, no rocks as of now under him, only glass.

Should I dig him In or leave him be ?

Thanks for your support.

thumbnail_IMG_8306.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not good. Have a spare tank lying around for a hospital? Move him to that with main tank water and a mini light. Or bring it back to the lfs and see if they can save it.
Everywhere I read about nems they say slow acclimation cuz they are so delicate. Sorry you are having troubles with this one.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the gyre off is fair since it's still unattached.

You can definitely help it along, it might help, a happy/healthy specimen should be able to on its own though. Have you seen any deflation at all? If not, we might be able to rule out treatment (for now), it may just be stressed.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if maybe it just doesn't like the black sand, which is why it won't dig itself in. You could try a large enough tupperware container to put regular sand into and see if it'll attach in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not good. Have a spare tank lying around for a hospital? Move him to that with main tank water and a mini light. Or bring it back to the lfs and see if they can save it.
Everywhere I read about nems they say slow acclimation cuz they are so delicate. Sorry you are having troubles with this one.

I feel like at this point Its better off here,
especially If my environment Is less nutrient dense.
Moving It out of the tank will only hurt It more I feel like..

No deflation at all, the mouth goes from open to closed though..

If he doesn't dig himself In when lights come on,
will try digging the hole around him to help him settle In,
maybe the sand-bed Is to deep ??

Last edited:

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is it? Highly doubt that's the issue. Try getting it as close to the glass as you can, if it's really deep you could always put a flat piece of rock or something down for it to attach to in the sand.

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is it? Highly doubt that's the issue. Try getting it as close to the glass as you can, if it's really deep you could always put a flat piece of rock or something down for it to attach to in the sand.

6 Inches, he seems to have half-attached to his new spot..
He Is still fairly sticky.

Back