Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright il get my water tested for a more accurate reading Its just
I never read anemones dying from Cal/Mag..

Heres what I think you two are missing an what Reeferdood understood..
ALL OTHER CREATURES ARE FINE! SPS especially..The reef itself Is fine.

Im not a new doofus that never owned a BTA or LTA an decided to wing it with a Haddoni.

I been In the hobby for a while the tank Is 7 months old, plenty of other happy anemones/coral/fish/inverts.

I will get everything tested. I appreciate all three of yalls help..

You think I got overcharged ? Seemed like a fair price for what It Is..(was)

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a better way to get this point across without sounding like this...
It is obvious this is bothering him and I am sure he will learn from it.
Forums are not here to bash people but to try to offer advice.

That is not bashing him! Maybe my english personality doesnt come across in a postive way to you guys!

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not bashing him! Maybe my english personality doesnt come across in a postive way to you guys!
Its all good, context is often misinterpreted over forums or texts. I just try to sound encouraging when fellow reefers are down on their luck..

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use baytril all the time at work, as well as cipro for anemones can work wonders. If you really want to treat it with cirpo you can, but it's extremely stressed already.

Also I do think you were overcharged. On import around 120 from Indo, another 100 for trans ship and inbound costs CITES etc. Even if we want to add more and round WAY up we can say cost was 300. Even doubling up on price it's still half what they charged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baytril & Cipro ? I have heard of these before..
Will these antibiotics help ? you mentioned hes stressed already I dont want the poor thing to melt..

Tomorrow I will be taking the day off work to get some Salifert test kits, and have my LFS test to be double sure on whats going on here..

Biggest reef disaster of my life, this must be what a tank crash feels like.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baytril & Cipro ? I have heard of these before..
Will these antibiotics help ? you mentioned hes stressed already I dont want the poor thing to melt..

Tomorrow I will be taking the day off work to get some Salifert test kits, and have my LFS test to be double sure on whats going on here..

Biggest reef disaster of my life, this must be what a tank crash feels like.
They are the same antibiotic. It's just two different names for the same chemical. That was what I was laughing about above. When I had my anemone issues I was trying to find a local fish store with Cipro that I could get to before they closed. Ironically I had Baytril right there because I use it for my birds.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have time to get through this whole thing until tomorrow, for the time being turn your lights back down to like 30% and put the nem on the sandbed as far away from them as possible. Until then @davocean can probably give you solid advicee until I can get to this tomorrow.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for the record Baytril and Cipro are NOT the same thing. They are in the same family but are not the same.
Okay, then Fisherman's Chemical has a misleading description. Can they be used the same in the aquarium?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is your tank? Anemone is as sensitive as acropora. If your tank is less than a year then it too early to keep an anemone.

doctormark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definitely start with changing water. Use good products and a high quality salt. You need to change a high percentage of water. Being that he was in the LFS for so long, this is not the typical bacterial issue effecting these guys. I have several of these guys, PM for any questions.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I noticed is it's up on your rockwork, and hadonni is a sand dwellar, not sure what's up there.

If it had a bacterial infection, it would not have lasted 4mo at LFS, so something happened from that point if LFS is being straight w/ you.

I don't know what the issue is from here, it sounds like you put a bit of faith in LFS to test for you, not the best idea usually, not sure what or how accurate their tests are.

People that get sensitive anemone's should be testing w/ quality kits on their own, and I would never get a sensitive anemone w/out having cipro on hand, and all nems really should be qt'd and observed before placing in display, infections can pass to other nems, and it's least invasive to treat right away when in QT

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I noticed is it's up on your rockwork, and hadonni is a sand dwellar, not sure what's up there.

If it had a bacterial infection, it would not have lasted 4mo at LFS, so something happened from that point if LFS is being straight w/ you.

I don't know what the issue is from here, it sounds like you put a bit of faith in LFS to test for you, not the best idea usually, not sure what or how accurate their tests are.

People that get sensitive anemone's should be testing w/ quality kits on their own, and I would never get a sensitive anemone w/out having cipro on hand, and all nems really should be qt'd and observed before placing in display, infections can pass to other nems, and it's least invasive to treat right away when in QT
This is pretty much my conclusion after my experience. Down to the don't have the lfs do the testing.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, then Fisherman's Chemical has a misleading description. Can they be used the same in the aquarium?

In my testing no.

In humans and pets they break down differently and even have different excretion methods. Just being the same class of medicine doesn't mean they can be used interchangeably. I did have some success in my testing with different fluoroquinolones, but nothing with the same efficacy as Cipro.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my testing no.

In humans and pets they break down differently and even have different excretion methods. Just being the same class of medicine doesn't mean they can be used interchangeably. I did have some success in my testing with different fluoroquinolones, but nothing with the same efficacy as Cipro.
Darn, I guess baytril is suboptimal then.

@Don Capalchey how is the anemone today?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back