Red Hadoni deteriorating !?

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticky is a good sign, it starting to attach is an even better sign. Fingers crossed it's just simply stressed and it'll settle in for you.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is doomed if you leave it in that tank. I HIGHLY recommend you do something and not sit back and hope for the best. Carpets can be tricky. If that was mine, I would get me a 10 gallon tank, and start a “fake” treatment, change 100% of the water everyday. Make water at the same time the same way everyday, aerated and aged water 24 hours old. It needs an internal water purge. This is the best and surefire way to “reset” an anemone without subjecting them to meds. I had good luck with regular old reef crystals salt, it’s got a good ph to it, usually a bit on the high side in KH.

DON’T FEED IT UNTIL ITS ACCLIMATED. The risk isn’t worth it.

My carpets tend to do great with
Kh 10
Cal 420+
I Don’t test mag, but add once in a while. I rarely change water that’s why I add mag...Sorry on this one.
Nitrates at 0
Phosphate 0
A clean tank... no, they do better when it’s a bit “dirty” but not high levels of nitrates. I tend to get green algae that grows quick, but can’t detect trates or fates

I’m not familiar with black sand, I don’t know what it’s made of. Not sure it would matter, but they’re right, if there’s metals in it, could be leaching.

Sorry to see, just my .02
I hope you can get it to recover, but it will take some dedication and work to get it back. If you aren’t up for it, id take it back to the tank it came from. And when you get it back, light acclimation is a big part too.
Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is doomed if you leave it in that tank. I HIGHLY recommend you do something and not sit back and hope for the best. Carpets can be tricky. If that was mine, I would get me a 10 gallon tank, and start a “fake” treatment, change 100% of the water everyday. Make water at the same time the same way everyday, aerated and aged water 24 hours old. It needs an internal water purge. This is the best and surefire way to “reset” an anemone without subjecting them to meds. I had good luck with regular old reef crystals salt, it’s got a good ph to it, usually a bit on the high side in KH.

DON’T FEED IT UNTIL ITS ACCLIMATED. The risk isn’t worth it.

My carpets tend to do great with
Kh 10
Cal 420+
I Don’t test mag, but add once in a while. I rarely change water that’s why I add mag...Sorry on this one.
Nitrates at 0
Phosphate 0
A clean tank... no, they do better when it’s a bit “dirty” but not high levels of nitrates. I tend to get green algae that grows quick, but can’t detect trates or fates

I’m not familiar with black sand, I don’t know what it’s made of. Not sure it would matter, but they’re right, if there’s metals in it, could be leaching.

Sorry to see, just my .02
I hope you can get it to recover, but it will take some dedication and work to get it back. If you aren’t up for it, id take it back to the tank it came from. And when you get it back, light acclimation is a big part too.
Best of luck to you!

Thank you..

The anemone has actually attached to the side glass, what makes you say he Is doomed ?
Moving him around will only hurt him more.. Interesting method to "purge" my carpet..?
Im not really sure he needs a purging though... More and more I feel like It was light induced.
Im not gonna uproot him If he stays attached, he does not look worse from what I can see..

You mentioned Its gona take work to keep him in my tank, what more can I do to help him In the current situation ?

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning he/she has full attached to the glass, an surrounded him/her
Foot with sand.

thumbnail_IMG_8306.jpg

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching for sticks here...do you run carbon? If not, I might try that as maybe something is creating some allelopathy...

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail_image1 (2).jpg
Hello, here Is another update.

Carpet has not moved from spot, seems cozy.

My only concern at this point Is the mouth likes to stay open.
I fed It zooplankon/Reef roids/Polyop booster a few days ago.
I am not sure If thats a good call. Other then that, outter edge polyps seem to be darkening/extending..

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni been looking good polyps are starting to extend/darken..
For some reason he/she/IT wont eat silver-sides or meaty food..

Reef roids and Zooplankton have been the only things that I can shoot In his mouth..
The silver sides are enjoyed by my blue crab (separate tank) & my NPS coral & anemone, so I know they are not a quality issue.

Seems all the "gurus" had nothing to say nor help as the Grand-Judge-Time has shown.
IT hasn't died as some of y'all had predicted, def been recovering, not wasting away, as some have ignorantly assumed.

If any of the positive posters have any advanced knowledge please dont forget about my beloved carpet!
As for a small few of y'all...Your negative energy did not bring me nor the carpet down :p

PS. Most of y'all where kind, only a small few of the obviously less experienced among us, where negative..

Nonetheless Its been enough to make me wanna just handle this on my own, when this baby makes full recovery I will post all the KNOWLEDGE I learned.
Until then, keep my carpet In your prayers. Post only If you have ADVANCED Carpet anemone knowledge! (My carpet nor I have any patience for wanna-be-gurus).

First thing I can tell you right off the bat from the advanced recovering knowledge I have been obtaining over this month, they dont like quite as much light as some say..
Lowering the led intensity and slowing the ramp time, then reducing t5s to only a couple hours a day has done wonders for both footing itself, poylops darkening & streching, and an expanding diameter.

My LED units both are at 90w combined now, all blue spectrum, whilst the T5 160w only stays on for 2hrs (250w total), this schedule has shown to make both the carpet and other corals/anemones happy..
Keep In mind the carpet Is between the lights, under a algae coated glass divider, so light Is even more diminished..

I can theorize at this time:

These are more like MODERATE LIGHT Anemones !;Cow

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your Nem is recovering! Sorry you had to deal with some harsh criticism along the way.
Forums can be misleading sometimes and feelings can get hurt, mine have on a few occasions.
As for the silverslides, mine never liked them either! :D
Keep with the updates and I am sure everyone that has been following along would like to see a picture of her all colored up again.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely NOT risk feeding silversides to that nem, they have been very problematic for many anemone keepers for one thing, two I would not want to add stress by feeding large foods.
Mysis or similar would be my advice, only a couple times a week.
I would not stress about open mouth at this time, it does appear to be getting better!
Now don't mess w/ it much, let it be, continue to acclimate and recover

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear that it's looking up. And also sad to read the rest of your post on your feelings about others.

I need to say what needs to be said and I feel it will likely just upset you, but that's the way it is sometimes. I'll PM you. I hope it continues to recover, but please be open minded and don't discredit others opinions or other's knowledge based on the limited experience with this anemone.

Keep us updated please.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still looks stressed, but looking much better overall. Good luck with it, I'm glad it seems to just be stress-induced.

OP
OP
Don Capalchey

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely NOT risk feeding silversides to that nem, they have been very problematic for many anemone keepers for one thing, two I would not want to add stress by feeding large foods.
Mysis or similar would be my advice, only a couple times a week.
I would not stress about open mouth at this time, it does appear to be getting better!
Now don't mess w/ it much, let it be, continue to acclimate and recover

Hey, I jus wanted to discuss rarity an pricing facts (an opinions!)
Few posters commented on spending to much..

94de056d5607c011db206335a0c98990.jpg

I post this pic cause your one of the posters on this thread, I randomly stumbled on this lol kinda ironically it’s kinda relatable .. thankfully the Anemone is doing well now..

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1085&cid=74
1400$ for smaller size then mine

http://aquanerd.com/2012/05/rainbow-carpet-anemone.html
This rainbow nem is considered the ultimate rarest, only one was sold.
1200$

https://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/anemone.html
1099$

I found a few forum posts of small specimens going for 200ish..?
Large specimens I can’t find any going for anything under 900$.

Even Than has one, an seems to back up the claim of their rarity & higher price tag..

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I try to be positive on people's posts, but obviously it was not looking good to me at first judging by my post elsewhere...glad that has changed and seems better.
But I still stick strongly w/ my anti silverside advice!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us have probably seen "the one", a rare, beautiful specimen that we.must.have at any cost. My achillles heel was a rare, beautiful, deep water, red elegance coral for $500. I knew that cataphyllia was extremely challenging to keep in captivity, even the more common green ones. Keeping them alive for more than a year was the exception, not the rule. Predictably, it lived for only 3 months.

I didn't miss the money, I missed looking at my gorgeous coral. At least I have my pics (sigh). Good luck with the carpet and be sure to take lots of pictures!
;Cat

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone fair cost is what ever some one are willing to pay for it.

Regarding the OP tank and anemone, it seem stressed and not totally healthy. If it is totally healthy in the LFS for 4 months, he may be been injured when they removed him. I often buy the anemone with what ever they attached too, if they are attache to the smooth surface like glass, it is easy to remove without injury. If it is attach to rock, there will be some injury with removal, either more or less severe. Larger the anemone, more damage done to them with moving, removal from attachment.
How new is the tank? I did not have a really good look at the tank, but the water is cloudy and not much coralline growth which point to a newer tank. Possible not stable enough for an anemone. Adding Good bacterial is like adding snake oil. You just need to get the tank cycle, and the bacterial population will establish as needed. Cycling of the tank, stabilization of the tank is a lot more than the nitrogen cycle. Over the first year after a tank is established, there are various cycles, only the first of which is the Nitrogen cycle. As one observe a new tank, one can see the cycles of various algae and fauna come and go. It is likely that the tank is not stable enough for an anemone.

Good luck with your anemone. I hope he survive. I would not spend 1200 on that red Haddoni, but we spend what we spend.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back