Red line on new clownfish

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
022EF4ED-DE48-42F3-BC67-239785319589.jpeg
i got 4 clownfish from my lfs on Yesterday and this morning I noticed this red line near his tail. Is this normal for a new clown? He also has been the only one swimming against the font of glass from side to side. He doesn’t do it all the time. Just everyone and again presses against the glass and goes left to right. Non of the other fish are doing this.?

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the biggest one in the tank. And I give them to much tbh. The 2 black ones eat more than the oranges ones do. The not standard clownfish that’s orange is the smallest.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Length does not equal girth. Seeing that line is a sign it is to skinny.

What are you feeding? How much? And how often?

If it is eating enough and still skinny, it may be a sign of an internal parasite.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the standard orange ones, especially when small, can be a little translucent at times, it might be a product of aquaculture/breeding or something such as stress causing them to not exhibit their full coloration, thus looking pale and having the visible red line that is most likely a blood vessel or lateral line area. I noticed that you have multiple clowns in the same tank and they all appear relatively the same size, are they fighting for dominance or something?

My orange ocellaris is almost 2 years old, eats like a pig and is very healthy but still exhibits this red line when I look at him in the morning when I first turn on the room lights in my living room. He turns pale at night when he is sleeping and so does my other clown but she is a black and white clown and just sort of turns a dark shade of gray.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them on 10/21. And no I haven’t seen any fighting, but I’m at College for 4-5 a day and work 4 days a week. The tank they were in at my lfs had around 20-30 in I think a 120gallon as they just got the shipment on 10/20. I feed pellets every morning at 9:30. And around 25 pellets, but they do not eat all of them. Should I feed 2 times a day and less?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them on 10/21. And no I haven’t seen any fighting, but I’m at College for 4-5 a day and work 4 days a week. The tank they were in at my lfs had around 20-30 in I think a 120gallon as they just got the shipment on 10/20. I feed pellets every morning at 9:30. And around 25 pellets, but they do not eat all of them. Should I feed 2 times a day and less?
I would try a frozen food in addition to a few pellets. Something like rod's food or LRS reef frenzy will do great in the nutrition department and you will see stronger coloration and healthier behaviors as a result. You should only feed what they can eat within 2-5 minutes. Having leftover pellets in the tank is bad for water chemistry.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just feed them slowly. Like put 5 pellets in the water and wait for them to eat and then put like 5 more. And on. Yes I hope the water stays ok. I checked levels last night. Also I will try frozen food. But is it really exspenive?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just feed them slowly. Like put 5 pellets in the water and wait for them to eat and then put like 5 more. And on. Yes I hope the water stays ok. I checked levels last night. Also I will try frozen food. But is it really exspenive?
You're gonna drive yourself crazy by counting them all the time haha I would feed a few at first and then keep adding a little until the fish have a slower response rate to the food or begin to get picky about which pieces they want to eat.

LRS Reef Frenzy Nano is like $10 per pack at my LFS and that lasts 3 months for me with my 20 gallon but I also feed flakes every other feeding. Rods food is a little more expensive and chunkier, it doesn't really fit well in the syringe I use to feed my fish so that's why I use LRS Nano Frenzy.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A syringe?

Yup, helps me feed relatively the same amount each feeding and also lets me squirt it into the tank to spread it out so my shrimp and hermit crabs can get some before the fish hog it all down. It took me a while to figure out how much to feed but once I did the syringe made it much quicker to feed pre-defrosted foods. Frozen foods are easy to feed as a defrosted liquid mixture, or you can take a chunk of still frozen food and let it defrost in the tank. There's no right way to feed a fish and it's a lot about personal preference too.
discardit_web_1.jpg

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
022EF4ED-DE48-42F3-BC67-239785319589.jpeg
i got 4 clownfish from my lfs on Yesterday and this morning I noticed this red line near his tail. Is this normal for a new clown? He also has been the only one swimming against the font of glass from side to side. He doesn’t do it all the time. Just everyone and again presses against the glass and goes left to right. Non of the other fish are doing this.?

Redlines are discount, means you should have got him 30% off.

Sorry - thats annoying - but I couldn’t resist.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redlines are discount, means you should have got him 30% off.

Sorry - thats annoying - but I couldn’t resist.
I thought that was Blue lights?

I agree with @eatbreakfast that the fish is thin. Any white stringy poop?

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No poop that I’ve seen. I’m in class atm. I plan to go to lfs to get some Frozen food after class. And redlines discount?? No problem to talk about it. Just what does that mean though?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red line thing was a joke not related to the condition of your clown. My clowns get a mixed diet of frozen and pellets and they seem to love it. You're really lucky you were able to grab 4 clowns from the same shipment and even more lucky if they stay friends.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93A6A36A-21F0-4BF5-90B9-DB6230460941.jpeg They were not the same shipment. Two (the black one) were at the store for a while in a tank together. But they hadn’t established gender yet. And the orange two cans in a shipment.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a. Lateral line that’s not gonna go away

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back