Red Monti Cap is there such a thing?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the ones I see called red are actually orange, which I have a couple of already. Is there such a thing as a red monti cap or even pink? I came across the listing shown below but have no experience with the vendor and have little confidence that images shown online have not been manipulated in post processing. Notice the frag plug has a pink tint which is a giveaway to me the color is not accurate. Not meaning bashing the vendor I just wonder if there is such a thing because if so I would like one.
red monti.jpg

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most red monti caps are red in my opinion but in lower nutrients can turn slightly orange. WWC Starburst is a nice red with orange polyps if the red monti cap isn't red enough for you.
Interesting, they all look orange to me, even the ones in threads here that are called red monti. The WWC Starburst looks orange to me also , be it a very bright orange but still looks orange. I even view them on my PC with a color calibrated monitor to rule out my phone manipulating the color and yep, still orange :thinking-face:

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red definitely exists. I’ve seen them under white lights.
Hard to judge any picture online.
Lighting in person also matters.
Interestingly, if you cut your finger when working on your aquarium under blue light, your blood looks neon green.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red definitely exists. I’ve seen them under white lights.
Hard to judge any picture online.
Lighting in person also matters.
Interestingly, if you cut your finger when working on your aquarium under blue light, your blood looks neon green.
This I have to check out. I'm always cutting myself but never looked at the blood under the blue lights.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pinktails tail looks white under blue lights and pink when I turn up the whites. Different hues are going to give the appearance of different colors, it's really simple.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I have to check out. I'm always cutting myself but never looked at the blood under the blue lights.
Freaked me the hell out the first time it happened. Ran to the bathroom and it was red, back to the tank and it was neon green.
You don’t need to cut yourself, it works on blood-red colored clothing as well.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just so everyone knows, I really would like a red one to add to my collection. I'm not just being a jerk I have just never seen a "red" one that wasn't orange regardless of lighting. They are either orange or brown, never red. At least none that I have seen online and in person.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just so everyone knows, I really would like a red one to add to my collection. I'm not just being a jerk I have just never seen a "red" one that wasn't orange regardless of lighting. They are either orange or brown, never red. At least none that I have seen online and in person.
They’ll all be varying shades of red to orange. You can only compare them in person and keep picking the redder one vs the oranger one.

Not sure you’ll find one that’s rgb 255 0 0. That’s tough for any coral, let alone an sps coral.

You can potentially adjust spectrum and intensity to get the red you want, but it will affect other corals and tank colors.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped a quick picture of one of the TSA Nuclear Fusion monti caps here at the farm, which is grafted with red monti and the Tyree toxic monti. The Red monti part does have a slight hint of orange but if you compare it to the orange polyps on the JF Aquaman below it you can tell a big different in the orange and the red. No coral is going to have the glossy red of your plumbing.

BN5A5457.jpg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there is not really such thing as a red monti cap, as (almost) all of the 'monti caps' in the aquarium trade are not actually from the species montipora capricornis, but from other plating species, such as m. florida and m. foliosa. True montipora capricornis are dull purple, don't have any tuberculae or papillae (but still has a rough coenosteum), and have a wavy texture on the plates.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped a quick picture of one of the TSA Nuclear Fusion monti caps here at the farm, which is grafted with red monti and the Tyree toxic monti. The Red monti part does have a slight hint of orange but if you compare it to the orange polyps on the JF Aquaman below it you can tell a big different in the orange and the red. No coral is going to have the glossy red of your plumbing.

BN5A5457.jpg
I get that I'm not going to find one glossy red. But red is red and orange is orange. I have "red" monti that are orange and no light manipulation can make them red. I can make anything any color on screen.

I'll admit your grafted one looks more red than most I have seen but the colors in the image also look overly saturated.
Edit: If I could find one that looks as red as the red in your grafted one in person I would buy it for sure

Last edited:

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, it’s always compared to something else. Red isn’t red and orange isn’t orange. That image technically isn’t red, but almost everyone would agree it is. (It’s 255, 1, 0)

Start with 255, 0, 0 and move toward 255, 165, 0. At what point is it no longer red? At what point orange? What if i add a tiny bit of blue?
And these combinations are still just a limited amount of colors.

Compare bubbaque’s monti to 255, 0, 0 and it clearly looks orange.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back