Red montipora dying

Dan8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a red montipora from my friend one week ago. All of the sudden it appears the tissue is falling off. Within eight hours it is halfway gone. All of my water parameters are in line and the only thing I can think of is possibly my lighting may be stronger than my friends. I dialed back my lighting a bit, but not sure if it’s too late. Also I read about rapid tissue necrosis and didn’t know if that was the culprit. Not sure what to do. I am really stumped here, and any advice is greatly appreciated. Here is a photo showing what the montipora looks like.

89F34F0F-86F4-46FF-964F-881EEF508ECA.jpeg

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if your water parameters are all in check then the only thing I could think of is it didnt acclimate to your lights that well or possibly rapid tissue necrosis. How long did you acclimate it to your water as well if I may ask?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your water parameters the same as your friends?
Is the lighting the same?

Much change in these two inputs can lead to deterioration.

OP
OP
D

Dan8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if your water parameters are all in check then the only thing I could think of is it didnt acclimate to your lights that well or possibly rapid tissue necrosis. How long did you acclimate it to your water as well if I may ask?

OP
OP
D

Dan8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe our water parameters are very similar. I acclimated the montipora to my water for over an hour. Not sure about the lights though. My lights may be more intense than his. The par level at the location that I have the montipora at is about 300. Other than looking at it under a microscope, is there a way to tell if it is rapid tissue necrosis?

Peter_in_the_city

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH and NO3?
I noticed issues with my montiporas if NO3 was 0 or when my pH dropped below ~7.8

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe our water parameters are very similar. I acclimated the montipora to my water for over an hour. Not sure about the lights though. My lights may be more intense than his. The par level at the location that I have the montipora at is about 300. Other than looking at it under a microscope, is there a way to tell if it is rapid tissue necrosis?
To me it looks like it’s bleaching which is a sign of too much light.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back