red planet light requirement

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red planet frag is current green with a hint of red. I have seen some amazing all red red planets and was wondering how high or low lighting do they need to get that coloration?

I currently have leds that are only running at 100% for 3 hrs of the day with the remainder ramping up from sunrise and down to sunset. Its placed mid level of a 21" deep tank with leds sitting about 5" above water surface.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine about 4" under the water directly under 8 T5's.

ymemu8a9.jpg

mytybupu.jpg

Sent from tapatalk

Clearwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice colony Jedi master. I have mine 4 inches under he surface and have great plating. Just waiting for it to blow up. Patience

OP
OP
icemountain

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a huge clam I see in there??? That is a nice looking colony.

I'm going to try moving it up higher and see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
icemountain

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved it about 4" higher. Its now about 4" from water surface. Lets see if that helps with the color.

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nutrients should be talked about as well.. because I have mine about 8" from the water level and about 4" from 6 T5s and mine is nice and red with NO green.

I have .00ppm Phosphate (hanna) and .00 NO3 (API) I would like to see if the red and green has something to do with nutrients.

IMG_1179.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nutrients should be talked about as well.. because I have mine about 8" from the water level and about 4" from 6 T5s and mine is nice and red with NO green.

I have .00ppm Phosphate (hanna) and .00 NO3 (API) I would like to see if the red and green has something to do with nutrients.

You bring up a very valid point. I'm interested in what others have to say about this. I just got a red planet 2 weeks ago and it seems to be filling in with more red.

tst400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before a major tank crash i kept mine un high light and high flow and it was dark red with long polyps

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first you guys need to know what your par levels are , because to much light will turn a red planet pink. I like the 250 par range for a red planet because you get that nice green base and bright red polyps if you get it in a 350 to 400 par you will get all red no green base . anything higher will give you loose of red and that pink look. Now some one said slow growth . Well you need to look into your parameter's . If there not stable at all you will get very slow growth . Stability is key for growth in SPS.

Back