Red Sea’s all-new ReefLED™ smart reef lighting!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS said these things are pretty ugly and that was one of the reasons they wanted to carry Waterboxes as Red Sea will stop shipping AI products with their tanks. I kind of agree with them, bulky and boxy.
Waterbox does not have an aio and red sea the reefer you can put what ever lights you want. The new lights are 4.7x4.7x2 inches. So what do they find ugly about them. The reason to sell waterbox is another line they can carry is you LFS going to stop carrying red sea? I think they are both good choices. The water box is a couple inches deeper but I was pricing out and red sea is a bit less and then also free freight makes red sea even that much better.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sucks about it as I can't find much info. I know it is not the easiest to clean but everything I have read says once you get it adjusted it works well. I really want to know what people have to say. I have been thinking about the E-260 so I have all the room in the stand for ATO and other stuff. Supposedly they have changed pump. With bad back I hate doing maintenance in the stand. When I was price comparing was looking at the reefer
What sucks is the amount of adjusting you have to do to it almost daily. Microbubbles galore. I had a ghost skimmer on my old system. Never once had an issue.

Tom Kats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, show me where Red Sea has innovated anything? They take well known products and slap their own branding on it and call it "Reef Spec".

Take their new line of skimmers, Bubble Magus knockoffs. They look exactly like a BM and now that BM has a sicce pump, thier basically the same thing. Same goes for this light, it's a kessil knockoff with their own branding.

Sorry I'm not buying into the Red Sea koolaid. They do make some solid products, but I see no innovations here, or anything else they make and market.

No doubt it looks like a copy of the kessil. But I like the arm and the size of the cover.

What have always been worrying me is the way these lights blinds my eye when I am standing or sitting in front of tank. There must be a study on eye damage from living with aquarium lights.

Seem to me they made a large enough housing and a holder low enough to prevent the light to leek away outside of the tank surface.

It’s about time there’s a company that have the same approach as Apple. Not be the first but be the best at creating a product that just works and remove the need to figuring ourself how to make it work.

I get the pleasure of hobbyist/DIY approach for me I think the general public needs the RedSea approach. It’s good for us hobbyist to have more people into reef keeping.

Tom Kats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sucks about it as I can't find much info. I know it is not the easiest to clean but everything I have read says once you get it adjusted it works well. I really want to know what people have to say. I have been thinking about the E-260 so I have all the room in the stand for ATO and other stuff. Supposedly they have changed pump. With bad back I hate doing maintenance in the stand. When I was price comparing was looking at the reefer

Agree! Why you say it sucks??

There much to say on what the best result from a skimmer efficiency. Is it the air intake the size of the chamber in relation to the tank size and load, Ect...

You got to be more specific when you say it sucks.

Tom Kats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super excited to see another player on the market. However, I’m still trying to get over red sea’s poor tank quality and my leak ordeal.

It’s like an ex girlfriend who cheated on you but you really had a good thing going....I want to trust you but there’s always that lingering bad taste and doubt and anticipation of being screwed over again.

But how about those shinny lights and beautiful curve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Kats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some Orlando palooza sneak peak of these RedSea lights.

8af2e36f58840836d256aea457d84bf4.jpg

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS said these things are pretty ugly and that was one of the reasons they wanted to carry Waterboxes as Red Sea will stop shipping AI products with their tanks. I kind of agree with them, bulky and boxy.

I'm interested in these, but not thrilled with the look either. I exchanged some emails with Red Sea and found that you *must* use their mounts. One thing I like about Kessils is that you can mount them to about anything (that little key ring is great). No way to do this with the Red Sea lights. :( I already have a mount in place that I'd like to use. Instead, I would have to spend $130 on two arms to use the lights. Grr...
--Kyle

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the idea coverage area is for the lights? I have a 125 gallon and will be upgrading my lighting at some point. If 3 cover the tank, for sps, that would be impressive.

They responded in the YouTube comments and said the recommended coverage is 24" x 24"

So it should be competitive with Kessil and the Radion 15s

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Youtube comment from Steve Halls:

"They will be released in the next month! Happy days. Due in most major markets during May."

Soon! Hopefully they have a decent stock of inventory available....

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and found that you *must* use their mounts.

oh... well nm. That's an instant non-buy for me. :( Its bad enough these companies cant play nice with 3rd part controllers. Instead favoring the growing tend of keeping people locked within their own software ecosystem... but proprietary mounting hardware!? That's ridiculous.

I guess I go elsewhere... disappointing for sure.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh... well nm. That's an instant non-buy for me. :( Its bad enough these companies cant play nice with 3rd part controllers. Instead favoring the growing tend of keeping people locked within their own software ecosystem... but proprietary mounting hardware!? That's ridiculous.

I guess I go elsewhere... disappointing for sure.

That's exactly what I thought. I told them that was kind of a deal breaker for me - and probably a lot of other people who may have fixture mounts already on their walls (or tanks).

On a related note, my LFS told me that Red Sea demoed them to him. He's really into lighting and wasn't impressed. His issue was that ALL the blues/purples are on a single channel (not individually controllable) and the whites separate. Which sounds about like the black boxes and such. He said for a bit more you can get the Radion XR15 and have full control.

At any rate, I'm starting to consider those Noopsyche lights or maye Reef Breeders Photon 48 v2+. But I don't feel like there's enough good info on the Noopsyche lights yet and I'd prefer to go with something more proven... Cheers,
--Kyle

MattL87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will there be a package deal with these lights on the reefer systems?

Thinking about ordering a reefer 250 deluxe, wouldn’t mind waiting a month if they are going to be offered in a package that cuts the light pricing down a bit.

RinTinTin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sucks is the amount of adjusting you have to do to it almost daily. Microbubbles galore. I had a ghost skimmer on my old system. Never once had an issue.

I had the same issues ... but honestly ended up being that the pump was not pushed in all the way to the skimmer body. Easy fix... and great skimmer for the Max e170. Hopefully this helps with the fix.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back