OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now have ORP and pump and skimmer voltage and amp usage on alarm so hopefully I never have a repeat of this problem. The tank itself looks great. I’ve been restocking it. Man, the biota mandarin Dragonets come super tiny! I hope they make it. I just added some additional algae barn Galaxy pods and I think I’ll start hatching some baby brine shrimp as well to make sure they have stuff they can eat. My last one was doing so great until the Great hypoxia disaster.

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
hows the tank?
i am having a battle with red cyano after all this time.
Hope yours is going well.
I move the tank 1100 miles in 3 months so I will have some fun I am sure..
joe

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
hows the tank?
i am having a battle with red cyano after all this time.
Hope yours is going well.
I move the tank 1100 miles in 3 months so I will have some fun I am sure..
joe
Doing good again. I have it mostly restocked and everyone is doing well. I haven’t had time to get it looking picture ready…hopefully I’ll post some more soon. I hate moves, and that was before having a reef tank…I don’t envy you

0utrageousfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I drove up to WI to purchase an E170 from a fellow R2R member last weekend. Lots of great ideas here, thanks for taking the time to document your journey.

bubbafenton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the InTank media rack and replaced the standard rack. So much better built. I’m using the activated carbon, matrix bio media, purigen, and a filter floss pad
When installing the inTank media rack, you place the black side against the false wall facing the water column, right? Blue part of the sponge is facing the return pump area (white floss part toward the purigen and protein skimmer)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When installing the inTank media rack, you place the black side against the false wall facing the water column, right? Blue part of the sponge is facing the return pump area (white floss part toward the purigen and protein skimmer)?
Yes, that’s correct

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great - been having some sps loss and my alkalinity has been low so I’ve been upping the all for Reef dosing. Got some new Hanna alkalinity reagent today. Same water sample left 8.1, I was happy I finally got to the target after a month of adjusting. Check with new agent 20+ above range. Both from the same water at the same time using the same technique. Time to go pick up a new kit from a different company and see which is right. I had a good explanation for why my sps was unhappy a month ago when I thought it was rather low at 5.1 (after not checking for awhile), I will have an even better explanation if it’s really that crazy high. I wish I knew how old the old reagent was, I don’t, but I think it’s probably less than a year.

Attachments

• D8E1A202-4171-4762-8C30-D72CD3F5FBB5.jpeg
    D8E1A202-4171-4762-8C30-D72CD3F5FBB5.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dKh is really greater than 20 then I’m amazed things don’t look worse. You can see the bleached skeletons of a few corals I lost over the last month, but others, including the clams, alveopora, RBA look great. I also was wondering why my pH had gotten easier to get keep in a good range (8.2-8.3). Now I know . I’m most bummed out that I lost my nice large pkating montipora and my absolutely banger torch coral
DA128FBC-FACE-41BC-AEFD-488B0ECDE6CB.jpeg

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got salifert kh ready and it measured greater than 15.6 (max of test), got api and it was 20-21 dKh. Now I know why I had issues with sps and why I lost my nice torch. I’m surprised everything else looks ok. I can’t believe there was a 12 point difference between the old and new reagent (8 vs 20+). Will stop dosing all for Reef and balance and test every few days. Ridiculous

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powers been out for 24 hours, managed to find a portable generator still for sale today, put it together and got it set up. Had wrapped the tank in blankets to keep in heat and had the mp10s on the back up battery and added some battery powered aerators. Got down to 68 by the time I got the heater and main pumps powered back on. I didn’t see anything that looked irreversible harmed when I last checked.

Hopefully the coral and fish will survive their cold snap before I got power going again

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the effort and money was worth it. All the fish and coral doing great despite 48 hr total with no power. House got down to 48f. Planning to invest in a standby generator this year.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the effort and money was worth it. All the fish and coral doing great despite 48 hr total with no power. House got down to 48f. Planning to invest in a standby generator this year.
Glad to see all your livestock is doing great!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back