Red Sea Max Nano Thoughts

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not ask this question before you ordered it? My thought is its an overpriced, nice looking tank of questionable quality due to being made in China. RS recently had a major defect issue with their stand causing their largest tanks panel to blow out. Can you imagine a couple hundred gallons of water and thousands of dollars worth of livestock gone? Good luck. Make sure it's completely level and watch for any bubbles in the silicone seams. I would personally never buy a RS nano, because you can get a 40 breeder from Petco with a nice stand for $200 and have a bigger budget for the important things like corals and fish.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not ask this question before you ordered it? My thought is its an overpriced, nice looking tank of questionable quality due to being made in China. RS recently had a major defect issue with their stand causing their largest tanks panel to blow out. Can you imagine a couple hundred gallons of water and thousands of dollars worth of livestock gone? Good luck. Make sure it's completely level and watch for any bubbles in the silicone seams. I would personally never buy a RS nano, because you can get a 40 breeder from Petco with a nice stand for $200 and have a bigger budget for the important things like corals and fish.

Before I begin, I’d like to say that I really tried not to be like this, but your response just isn't what I was looking for at all.
Why not ask before I bought it? I guess it doesn’t really matter as I wasn’t asking for anyone’s criticism. Yes, Red Sea recently had an issue with their stands. Particularly on the XXL750. Not the Max Nano. The Max Nano doesn’t have hundreds of gallons of water. It has 20 and there have been no defects like that for the Max nano. What’s “important” is in the mind of the one with the tank. You build your tank and I’ll build mine. Thank you for your opinion (which I never asked for), but I was looking for thoughts on the actual tank I’m getting from people who have actual experience with it. Take your negativity somewhere else. Maybe go harass the people who want to keep hippo tangs in 10g tanks?

Reefelite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one set up for an year. The skimmer is annoyingly loud but the rest of the kit is nice. Better to go skimmerless unless you are running a full SPS tank.
6CA51A5C-B544-458D-94D9-C1762EF8C2B9.jpeg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine..... It really looks great. Only issue, is that I use it as an anemone tank, and I wish it were wall-to-wall bright coral, because it is really a clean/classy looking tank

Edit. I can’t hear my skimmer on it.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one set up for an year. The skimmer is annoyingly loud but the rest of the kit is nice. Better to go skimmerless unless you are running a full SPS tank.
6CA51A5C-B544-458D-94D9-C1762EF8C2B9.jpeg
Looks great! What made you change tanks? Besides the pair of clowns I see, what did you have it stocked with? I assume going skimmerless, water changes weekly will do it just fine? How did the ATO do?

I love mine..... It really looks great. Only issue, is that I use it as an anemone tank, and I wish it were wall-to-wall bright coral, because it is really a clean/classy looking tank

Edit. I can’t hear my skimmer on it.

Odd.....I hear mixed reviews on the skimmer. The classy look is a huge reason I got it!

Reefelite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! What made you change tanks? Besides the pair of clowns I see, what did you have it stocked with? I assume going skimmerless, water changes weekly will do it just fine? How did the ATO do?

Odd.....I hear mixed reviews on the skimmer. The classy look is a huge reason I got it!

Corals were outgrowing the tank so I transferred it to my 425xl that I was using as a fowlr. I had the clowns, a 4 line wrasse for pest control and a 3-4 turbo snails. ATO only lasts about a day or 2 so I upgraded to a Tunze 3155 as sometimes I travel. If you plan to do any upgrades wait for Black Friday sales.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals were outgrowing the tank so I transferred it to my 425xl that I was using as a fowlr. I had the clowns, a 4 line wrasse for pest control and a 3-4 turbo snails. ATO only lasts about a day or 2 so I upgraded to a Tunze 3155 as sometimes I travel. If you plan to do any upgrades wait for Black Friday sales.
I guess that’s a good reason! I plan on a pair of clowns, a pair of harlequin shrimp and a possum wrasse and mostly soft corals. Maybe a few SPS. The only upgrade I’ll probably make is the ATO.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone should make a tall/wider replacement ATO container for this tank to use for extended vacations etc. Wouldn’t look good, but would be a nice swap-out option

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RS 170, it’s been OK. I put the ATO container,5g, next to the stand by wall so you can’t see it. I went with this one so I could use my skimmer if choice, etc. in the sump. 34g

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Max nano. It’s a very well thought out tank and looks beautiful in our home. Skimmer and pump are super quiet after break in(week) Pictures speak louder than words, so here are a few below. You will love the tank!

F1143339-C1EB-411F-AB72-5571B09C496D.jpeg
DF818DAD-1CEF-4691-855D-1D6FFD375B4B.jpeg

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Max nano. It’s a very well thought out tank and looks beautiful in our home. Skimmer and pump are super quiet after break in(week) Pictures speak louder than words, so here are a few below. You will love the tank!

F1143339-C1EB-411F-AB72-5571B09C496D.jpeg
DF818DAD-1CEF-4691-855D-1D6FFD375B4B.jpeg
Looks awesome! What kind of ATO are you using? Did you find the provided flow wasn’t enough?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I use the Icecap ATO which fits perfectly in return pump section. I’m SPS dominant, so the flow was inadequate.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Max nano. Up for over 2 years. My only complaint is if you run the stock pump wide open, the water overflows the weir channel and flows to the skimmer chamber, bypassing the filter sock. That and if the skimmer overflows it goes down the back of the tank onto the floor.

Wish mine looked as nice as naturalreefs above.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Max nano. Up for over 2 years. My only complaint is if you run the stock pump wide open, the water overflows the weir channel and flows to the skimmer chamber, bypassing the filter sock. That and if the skimmer overflows it goes down the back of the tank onto the floor.

Thank you Jeeperz, I really appreciate that!

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgive me for the dumb question, but I have run mine for 4-5 months or so.... How do you adjust the return pump? I thought it was a straight on/off fixed pump

My skimmer overflows towards the sock.... just gotta set the lid so the “gap” allows overflow to come out

Jamestown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Max 170, so it's just a bit bigger than the nano but it's the same idea. I love mine. People can complain that it's overpriced but have you seen one in person? The glass quality is phenomenal along with how clean the total package looks as a whole. I hope you like it and it works out for you.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pull the pump out, there's a cover over the suction side. Under the cover is a dial of sorts that turns to close off the 3 suction ports.

If my skimmer goes nuts that port towards the filter sock isn't enough and it pushes lid off, then floods.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back