Red Sea Reefer 170

MyStiC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I am a new hobbyist!

3 weeks ago I set up my Red Sea Reefer 170 its a 34/35 gallon tank but the entire system is around 45 gallon with the sump.

I originally started with a 10g nano and read so much about crazy spikes happening that I decided to buy a larger Aquarium.

Ive started with an AI Prime HD (the powerhouse) as my light.

I started my base with Aragonite sand and 25 lbs of cured Indonesian Live Rock. To this I filled with system using RO water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals in the mix. Ive spent about $3000 on my system and like I said I am on my third week of cycle. I have an in sump protein skimmer and have added crushed corals to my one filter sock.

I am very very new to this hobby and have been researching/talking to LFS/ and observing my cycle with the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit and a ATC Refractometer.

I am open to any advice or questions about my system and am looking to learn more about this hobby.

I am attaching some photos I turned my light on just for these as it is off for the cycle.

My test results most recently are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 2
Nitrite: 0
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023
20170219_141416.jpg

20170219_142929.jpg 20170219_142517.jpg 20170219_141344.jpg
It seems I have coralline algae growing and the rock is growing all kinds of random things.

I am a little unsure of what else to look for in the cycle. Growth is deffinitely happening but the lack of spikes concerns me. Any advice would be much appreciated!

- MyStiC
Brandon

mailman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I am a new hobbyist!

3 weeks ago I set up my Red Sea Reefer 170 its a 34/35 gallon tank but the entire system is around 45 gallon with the sump.

I originally started with a 10g nano and read so much about crazy spikes happening that I decided to buy a larger Aquarium.

Ive started with an AI Prime HD (the powerhouse) as my light.

I started my base with Aragonite sand and 25 lbs of cured Indonesian Live Rock. To this I filled with system using RO water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals in the mix. Ive spent about $3000 on my system and like I said I am on my third week of cycle. I have an in sump protein skimmer and have added crushed corals to my one filter sock.

I am very very new to this hobby and have been researching/talking to LFS/ and observing my cycle with the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit and a ATC Refractometer.

I am open to any advice or questions about my system and am looking to learn more about this hobby.

I am attaching some photos I turned my light on just for these as it is off for the cycle.

My test results most recently are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 2
Nitrite: 0
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023
20170219_141416.jpg

20170219_142929.jpg 20170219_142517.jpg 20170219_141344.jpg
It seems I have coralline algae growing and the rock is growing all kinds of random things.

I am a little unsure of what else to look for in the cycle. Growth is deffinitely happening but the lack of spikes concerns me. Any advice would be much appreciated!

- MyStiC
Brandon
Welcome. Very nice tank. Go slow. There is a lifetime of knowledge in these forums. Read, learn, and enjoy. I'm starting up again in the hobby. Learning a lot of info from the forums. Best of luck to you.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+following along.

I am currently interested in sm red see reefer and considering that same one versus the nano just because I prefer a non-cube tank.

What return pump, circulation pump sand skimmer had you settled on for the setup?

OP
OP
MyStiC

MyStiC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+following along.

I am currently interested in sm red see reefer and considering that same one versus the nano just because I prefer a non-cube tank.

What return pump, circulation pump sand skimmer had you settled on for the setup?

Hey I am currently using a JNS Cones Co-1 Skimmer, with an Eflux DC flow 1050 pump and im using 2 hydor koralia power heads one large and one small.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Nice to meet you @MyStiC !* Your new system looks sweet.Not sure what to tell you about the lack of spikes.You have a lot of rocks and a nice looking skimmer though.Perhaps you will be ready to add a critter or two soon.Best of luck!

1490478007603.jpg

OP
OP
MyStiC

MyStiC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Nice to meet you @MyStiC !* Your new system looks sweet.Not sure what to tell you about the lack of spikes.You have a lot of rocks and a nice looking skimmer though.Perhaps you will be ready to add a critter or two soon.Best of luck!

1490478007603.jpg

My tank has come along way so far!! Have a Xenia , Kenya Tree, Green Star Polyps, Zoanthids , Paly Zoanthids

Hermit crabs, Emerald Crab, 2 Clown Fish, 2 Banggai Cardinals, Sandsifter Goby, Lawnmower Blenny lots of snails and a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back