Red Sea REEFER 250 ALL Pre-Conditioned and most CAPTIVE-BRED Fish, SPS, Zoanthids. Slow Poke Reef. WE HAVE WATER!! start page 61.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got engaged on my lunch break a couple hours ago. Fiancé is in the avatar.

image.jpg

Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to buy one of these Reefer skimmers when they first come out. But cash is tight so depending on when they come out, I'll be doing an unboxing video as soon as I can afford one. But in the mean time, I signed up for the, "Notify Me" at Marine Depot.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the REEFER skimmer pre-ordered from Aqua Dreams over in Massachusetts. Their website says there will be a wait before they ship and a different website says REEFER skimmers won't be at distributors til mid-December.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrsBugmaster I don't know about the reefer 170 but I have a 250 and I follow a lot of 250 build threads. The Nyos 120 is very popular with 250 owners, the most popular in fact. I feel that skimmer is over priced at $399 and is a little more difficult to take apart and clean than the $299 Reef Octo eSsence S-130. The skimmer I was going to get was the R. Octo until I remeasured my custom Synergy Reef sump. The R.O. S-130 doesn't fit. Well funny you ask this question today because today I pushed the button on a Red Sea REEFER Protein Skimmer RSK-300. It's an original feature loaded line of skimmer that hasn't even started shipping yet. I shelled out $299 for a pre-order at Aqua Dreams online. Here's that link: I'm very hopeful I'll be pleased as pie.
https://aqua-dreams.com/products/red-sea-reefer-skimmer

Last edited:

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrsBugmaster I don't know about the reefer 170 but I have a 250 and I follow a lot of 250 build threads. The Nyos 120 is very popular with 250 owners, the most popular in fact. I feel that skimmer is over priced at $399 and is a little more difficult to take apart and clean than the $299 Reef Octo eSsence S-130. The skimmer I was going to get was the R. Octo until I remeasured my custom Synergy Reef sump. The R.O. S-130 doesn't fit. Well funny you ask this question today because today I pushed the button on a Red Sea REEFER Protein Skimmer RSK-300. It's an original feature loaded line of skimmer that hasn't even started shipping yet. I shelled out $299 for a pre-order at Aqua Dreams online. Here's that link: I'm very hopeful I'll be pleased as pie.
https://aqua-dreams.com/products/red-sea-reefer-skimmer

Yeah, I was looking at that one and it is on my short list. I was hoping for a dc pump cause I need it to be silent (to satisfy my husband). Don't know how long it will be before it is available either. Also looking at the new smaller Deltec 400i coming out soon too. But wanted to see what others are using and how happy they are with it before I purchase anything.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrsBugmaster Deltec makes some really good skimmers. The thing I don't like about some Deltec's they don't have a bubble diffuser chamber to spread the bubbles evenly, does the 400i have one? Nowadays some of the AC pumps are as quiet as DC, see this video: Completely Dead Silent Skimmer Recommendation. I'm curious as to how much the 400i will cost. I didn't even know they were coming along due to start manufacturing or they'd been on my short list too. What is on your list BTW?

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a sound comparison I've been doing some research on the reefer skimmers to find out how noisy they'll be and the Primier line of Eshopps skimmers have the same model line of skimmer pumps (Sicce PSK's) as the Reefers. The sound in the video in post #68, page 4 in the thread above will give you an idea of how the Reefers should sound.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 My short list of skimmers:
bubble king double cone 130
red sea RSK300
Deltec 400i
Reef Octopus Classic 110

I am not so much concerned about price as I am it being silent and works great without a bunch of fine tuning all the time. Currently have a Simplicity 120 and I hate it s much I have removed it and am skimmer less now! Waste of money.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrsBugmaster If you're reluctant to get the Red Sea because lack of reviews and don't mind an AC pump, I would go for the R. Octo eSsence S-130. As quiet as R. Octo's DC pumped skimmers or quieter, having some very ingenious one-of-a-kind features found no where else, the eSsence is what I highly recommend. They've been in production for a little over a year now and have raving reviews. Just do a YouTube video search on them and you'll be amazed. I almost drilled a hole in my sump so the R.O. skimmer's volute had room to take in water as it was too tight of a fit. I decided to wait a few months to see if a new decent skimmer that fit would come out or I would drill the hole. Well I shouldn't have to now as the Red Sea should fit with 0.4 of and inch to spare.

As far as the rest of the skimmers on your list, the Bubble King is a Cadillac but expensive, the Deltec doesn't have any reviews either, and the Classic 110 could be underpowered. I will send you a PM about if you decide to sell your Simplicity.

Last edited:

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 Well, my tank is only 34 gallons with 9 gal sump, so I think all these skimmers are a little over sized. I looked at the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 is rated for 75 to 160 gal, too big for my little tank. I've been told the BK would probably not perform well cause my tank is too small(it does not have a dc pump). The BK says it is rated "up to 80 gal" Not sure what that means, what is the minimum tank size it will work on? It is confusing cause some people say it would work and other say it is way too big for my tank. I know every tank is different and it depends on a lot of different things.

As far as the Simplicity goes, I don't think you would want it. Every 3 to 4 weeks the pumps stops and I have to remove the skimmer and break it down completely and clean it. It is a real pain. And then, when reassembling it, you have to get the bubble plate in just right or it touches the sides of the skimmer body and rattles like crazy and is very noisy. It is a very tight fit and is like putting a puzzle together. I once had to take it apart again 5 times to get it right so it was quiet again. And you don't know it until you put it back in the sump and start it up. It's not good!

Why can't they make a skimmer with dc pump for a small tank that works. It would be great to have a Reef Octopus with varsio pump on the classic 110 size skimmer! I have the RO 200 elite int skimmer (DC varsio pump)on my 180 gallon tank and love it. I also have the a Red Dragon 3 return pump on my 180 gallon and love that thing!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrsBugmaster Yeah I guess those skimmers would be a little big. I was going mostly by the list in your post above. Just off the top of my head SCA, Icecap, Skimz, and I think Bubble Magus make smaller non-nano skimmers. When I had a 30 gallon tank I was looking at in-sump skimmers by those makers. By the sounds of your ordeal with the Simplicity I would definitely not want it LOL. Well I wish you luck in finding a skimmer for your Reefer 170. B-)#

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 Well, my tank is only 34 gallons with 9 gal sump, so I think all these skimmers are a little over sized. I looked at the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 is rated for 75 to 160 gal, too big for my little tank. I've been told the BK would probably not perform well cause my tank is too small(it does not have a dc pump). The BK says it is rated "up to 80 gal" Not sure what that means, what is the minimum tank size it will work on? It is confusing cause some people say it would work and other say it is way too big for my tank. I know every tank is different and it depends on a lot of different things.

As far as the Simplicity goes, I don't think you would want it. Every 3 to 4 weeks the pumps stops and I have to remove the skimmer and break it down completely and clean it. It is a real pain. And then, when reassembling it, you have to get the bubble plate in just right or it touches the sides of the skimmer body and rattles like crazy and is very noisy. It is a very tight fit and is like putting a puzzle together. I once had to take it apart again 5 times to get it right so it was quiet again. And you don't know it until you put it back in the sump and start it up. It's not good!

Why can't they make a skimmer with dc pump for a small tank that works. It would be great to have a Reef Octopus with varsio pump on the classic 110 size skimmer! I have the RO 200 elite int skimmer (DC varsio pump)on my 180 gallon tank and love it. I also have the a Red Dragon 3 return pump on my 180 gallon and love that thing!!

I have the Reef Octo Regal 150SSS in my reefer 250 (previously had a Classic RO 110 which was a little noisy). It's big, but I fit it and some Chaeto in the standard Reefer 250 sump main chamber no problem. It's been worry free for 6 months. Super silent and so easy to adjust. It's been running for a few months without touching the adjustments and puts out an even level of consistent brown muck. Never had a run-away overflow and if it did, it would shut itself off anyway, and the auto shut-off along with my Apex low power alarm on the skimmer outlet tells me when it's time to empty the cup (about every 2 weeks). Expensive, but by far the best skimmer I've owned.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Krejci you mention your skimmer is big but still fits your Reefer 250 sump, is super silent and easy to adjust, and has been worry free for you for all of the six months that you've owned it. But I would have to disagree about your Regal skimmer as being expensive especially when you take into account how many extra and unique features it has. The DC VarioS pump is one awesome pump and the only DC skimmer pump with the Apex Ready+ designation other than Bubble Kings with their Red Dragon pumps. The ease of reaction chamber disassemble is a really big feature. And as far as I can recall the collection cup float switch tied in with the Reef Octo Regal 150sss auto shut-off at the pump controller is very unique to skimmers in the class that fit in Reefer 250 sumps. When you take into consideration the extra and unique features of this $499 skimmer that you don't get in cheaper skimmers of the same skimming capacity/rating, it's a really good buy. Rick I'm really curious if the water output valve knob is underwater or not?

Last edited:

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Krejci you mention your skimmer is big but still fits your Reefer 250 sump, is super silent and easy to adjust, and has been worry free for you for all of the six months that you've owned it. But I would have to disagree about your Regal skimmer as being expensive especially when you take into account how many extra and unique features it has. The DC VarioS pump is one awesome pump and the only DC skimmer pump with the Apex Ready+ designation other than Bubble Kings with their Red Dragon pumps. The ease of reaction chamber disassemble is a really big feature. And as far as I can recall the collection cup float switch tied in with the Reef Octo Regal 150sss auto shut-off at the pump controller is very unique to skimmers in the class that fit in Reefer 250 sumps. When you take into consideration the extra and unique features of this $499 skimmer that you don't get in cheaper skimmers of the same skimming capacity/rating, it's a really good buy. Rick I'm really curious if the water output valve knob is underwater or not?

I agree with you, but some don't want to spend that much on a skimmer regardless of its quality. I have a varios 6 return and have loved it, so the varios on the RO Regal sold me. And, yes, the shut-off is directly tied to the Varios controller. I don't speed control with Apex (although I could) since it's a set and forget skimmer. I do control the power outlet and shut off when the return is off to prevent overflows. I also monitor the power so than when the shut-off kick in, my Apex alerts me. It has a drain line from the cup if that's your thing, but I like the safety and simplicity of just the cup and should probably be cleaned every few weeks anyway.

The water output adjustment valve knob is a few inches above the water. I just have the skimmer setting directly on the sump floor. I have the varios set fairly low (about 3/5) since the skimmer is overrated for the tank. Seems to be my sweet spot. My whole tank is nearly silent, and this skimmer just adds a dull rumble in the background

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Krejci very true a lot of people wouldn't buy this skimmer regardless of how good of a buy it is because the price is comparatively high.

I've thought about buying a float switch for my Red Sea skimmer's collection cup when I get it going. Coral Vue sells them as replacement parts for the Reef Octo skimmers. It would add a lot of peace of mind especially during and shortly after break-in when skimmers notoriously overflow so easily. An alternative to the float switch would be drain in the collection cup going to a skimmer waste collector like just a simple inexpensive container or something acrylic with a carbon-filled exhaust port and shut-off float switch rigged to an Apex Break out Box. Those two options for containers are extremes in cost and plug-and-play ability.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back