Red Sea Reefer 250 - Used

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have been in contact with someone about purchasing a used Red Sea Reefer 250. The tank is close to 5 years old. I will drop some pictures below of what the tank looks like. It comes with tank, sump, cabinet, skimmer, and two pumps. Want everyone's opinion on this, and if it is a good deal or not. He is asking $500 for everything included, but he said if I bought it today he would do $450. The one caveat is that I would have to buffer out all the minor scratches off of the glass. I have no experience doing this. What do you guys think?

Screenshot 2022-08-10 112330.png Screenshot 2022-08-10 112443.png Screenshot 2022-08-10 112432.png Screenshot 2022-08-10 112354.png Screenshot 2022-08-10 112343.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I'd probably invest the $450-$500 in a new G2 tank. This is a lot more than "minor" scratches, and while I don't have any experience buffing out scratches I suspect you have your work cut out for you (and then some). The biggest thing is that being 5 years old there's zero warranty left from Red Sea, so if you have any issues with seals (etc.) you're pretty much on your own.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Myself, I'd probably invest the $450-$500 in a new G2 tank. This is a lot more than "minor" scratches, and while I don't have any experience buffing out scratches I suspect you have your work cut out for you (and then some). The biggest thing is that being 5 years old there's zero warranty left from Red Sea, so if you have any issues with seals (etc.) you're pretty much on your own.
What he said!!

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning towards me not buying just wanted to hear someone else's opinion! I just do not want to spend that much money on a brand new tank. Been looking forever trying to find a good deal... hopefully soon I guess! Thank you

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where should I keep looking to find used reef tanks? I have been looking for awhile and can’t find anything.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I send that...that is a lot of scratches. Was he using sandpaper to clean the algae?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try Offer Up. I do not now where you live but Saul always as screaming deals at Innovative Marine for slightly cosmetic blems.. But that is SoCal. Also try a good LFS many times they will get a tank in that someone upgraded with.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to keep in mind is that if that glass looks that beat up.. makes me wonder what happened to the seals.. that is a v1 tank so not sure I would feel safe at night knowing someone treated it some sort of way to make it look like that in just 5 years.

Reefguy2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I have bought Red Sea reefer 250 probs now about over 1 year ago I have noticed that the front
image.jpg
glass sealant is wearing away I had. To buy straps today to make sure that it won’t explode one me I have been talking to Red Sea on chat about the tank but when I went to get the serial number the sticker is gone tank is 2nd hand do yous think that the previous owner has claimed the warranty and that’s why the sticker has been removed ?? And what is my other option anyone been in this situation before I would like to hear thanks

Robbie

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back