OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt get the barb for the Ecotech Marine Vectra S2 return pump in time, actually I couldnt even find it in stock anywhere. I also wanted to upgrade to the M2 but couldnt get it here in time also, let alone the ludicrous missing barb adapter...why dont they just put it in the box with the pump? Its a 5 bucks piece of plastic for a 375 product. Other products include a bunch of unnecessary parts just so it works no matter what kind of setup you have. How can they expect you to have a PVC pipe of the correct diameter and glue laying around? Specially now that the V3 sump comes with a tube.

Anyway, I went on a mission and ended up upgrading to a Neptune COR 20 2000GPH return pump. Although I also had to go to the local hardware store and find a barb for it. Couldnt find the exact dimensions but was able to figure out something that looks perfect, adding as little adapters as possible as not to reduce the inner diameter for the best flow. I forgot to take a picture but will do so when its time to clean.

I feel like I ended up with a better equipment since I'm installing the APEX anyway.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you on expensive items not having all required parts!

I mean look at kessils lights and I’m sure many others. You need to buy a controller to help easily set up schedules which is bonkers for the amount of money you need to shell out for the item in the first place.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference you can adapt direct to the pumps with PVC pipe. Just glue it and done. No need for the fancy barb from Ecotech.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Finished installing and setting up all the equipment (for now...)

Made my own cable management panel. Got a wood panel, cut it to size, measured and drilled the holes, sanded, primed and painted. Attached the equipment and ran the cables. Best thing is thats its detachable, it hangs on the back of the cabinet by two strong magnets. This way I can remove to clean, adjust, replace and add anything. I also didnt drill the entire cabinets full of holes, just two on the upper part. This is also good so I can read all the settings in a straight view rather than having it hanging sideways. Also makes room to store the everyday maintenance equipment.
Awesome.

I also finished setting up the entire Apex package. Just waiting for the ATO reservoir to finish so I can move it out of the way to put the UV sterilizer in the sump and close the cabinet.

IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3015.jpg
IMG_3018.jpg

Got pods coming in this week to populate the refugium and some chaeto that I got from a user in this forum.

Still want the TUNZE Eco Chic refugium light 8831. Seems by far the best design, waterproof and magnet held. Cant even find a used one...have sent TUNZE in Germany an email asking when the heck they're going to put it back in the market.

Dont want to have a light sticking out, specially with a clumsy gooseneck. Was thinking about the IM Chaeto light but dont want to stick it on the glass and cover up the view into the refugium, I want to be able to check on the pod population and possibly have a couple of seahorses in there. Until then I might just use a cheap light just to keep the algae alive.

At this point I want to add more bio-load.

Would like to get suggestion from you guys on what fish I should add! Just as long as its a peaceful community...

Thanks

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you like?

I feel tank stocking is such personal preference and you’ll get many different answers. Here’s what I would stock if I did a reefer 350.

2 black snow clowns
One tang (yellow eye kole or tomini)
group of azure/pink smith damsels (4-5?)
Midas blenny
Mandarin (once tank had good pod population)
Long nose hawk (if compatible)
Sexy shrimp (I love these guys and will try them in all my tanks)

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the comment above. I have a pair of black snowflake clowns, 4 green chromis, a yellow tang, and 4 lyretail anthias for now. I want to add a leopard wrasse and maybe one other fish.

Total personal preference. I wanted color and movement in my tank. Obviously, bigger “show” fish are attractive but not practical for our tank size.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Yesterday I added to my refugium

AlgaGenPods™ Tisbe​

Zoo-Plasm™ PODS​

and fed them with

Phyto-Plasm™ Phyto Green​

they were happy to take residence in the MarinePure Biofilter Plate.

Tomorrow a cheap refugium light should arrive to temporarily substitute the TUNZE EcoChic refugium light I'm waiting to get back in stock. I got a reply from TUNZE in Germany saying they got 200 units popping up anytime now.

Friday some chaeto should arrive.

This will finish my refugium setup and hopefully soon populate my tank with pods for fish.

1015648281.jpg
894635502.jpg
894635379.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Today I received the next fish addition to my tank, a beautiful Tanaka's Pygmy Possum Wrasse from Live Aquaria's Divers Den I purchased two days ago.

The only problem is that it arrived DEAD! :eek:

Now I got a corpse, a store credit (which is no good) and no fish in sight. Will have to sit and wait till god knows how long to get another.

I really want this fish because when I had my nano (aka saltwater bucket) it was the only fish small enough to add besides all the gobies and the pair of clowns. It took me almost a full year to get one as they were rarely available and when I finally got one I had to move in less than a month and had to give it to another reefer. It barely had time to acclimate.

Recently there has been a huge amount of them available in the divers den but just a week short of my tank setup, so I missed them all...

IMG_3029.jpg IMG_3033.jpg IMG_3035.jpg IMG_3036.jpg

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man that sucks! They are beautiful fish!

I was going to try one in my nano but I don’t order online and after waiting two months for lfs trying to get one I gave up and am getting a captive bred mandarin instead.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the next day after claiming arrive alive guarantee two tanakai popped on divers den and I couldn’t resist getting one using the store credit. Should come in next Tuesday. I REALLY hope it arrives alive this time, I also feel responsible for killing them. If this one doesn’t make it I’ll try to get one locally. I wish LiveAquaria would still ship them with overnight till 10:30am like they used to instead of till noon.

Fingers crossed.

Other than that the news is that I got a royal gramma and a Midas blenny. The gramma is shy but pretty much settled in. The Midas is pretty weird, he just looks scared and stays still. Never had one and perhaps this is normal, think he’ll loosen up with time.

I’ve added a bunch of snails and three shrimps.

Also introduced my first corals and I’m super glad they are doing so well for such a young tank. Check em out:

3441E05D-CF54-4607-9BDB-BB06B886AE07.jpeg
454C27AA-9A7D-46E6-AC92-8870C2F1D780.jpeg
76E07562-6EB0-4F88-8A37-FC34E33EB82D.jpeg
3E344552-BDD8-4663-AD98-3D9E8F15A169.jpeg
A91DFAE1-C508-45DD-8BF9-FA418675DACC.jpeg
796E861F-4079-4253-B20C-3D17C2399862.jpeg
5C145925-96CD-4EF0-B8BE-676F681D61C2.jpeg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things

My skimmer was overflowing like crazy until I figured out the water line was too high. Researched for a stand to purchase but I find these acrylic contraptions (frag racks, fish traps, breeding boxes, skimmer stands, etc) set at an unreasonable price tag. $55 for a cut sheet of acrylic you can get at Home Depot for $8 is extravagant. I just needed to raise it a couple of inches, that’s it.

went to the dollar store and got me a kitchen thing for a buck! It’s the perfect size and height, lets water flow through it and it’s even the same color as the skimmer. Talk about low tech solutions. Check it out.
49FA4EC2-51B4-4647-A63D-45CAA8FDCBC9.jpeg

Some new additions:
856D3A1B-2FDD-4273-94E3-A7920835BE9E.jpeg

This guy is amazing, can’t wait to see it under the lights tomorrow. I’ll post a picture.

DFDF0E68-24E4-4E68-9882-7D683885A52F.jpeg

These corals are awesome, I’ll also update the pictures tomorrow.

This guy now is feeling alright:
D083E3BA-129F-4689-AF6B-EC8459A47AE1.jpeg

I also added more rocks and two arches.

Besides, I received some chaeto in the mail from a R2R member and it still looks good even after one week out of the water in a small flat rate box. I couldn’t get the Tunze light for it but instead got this cheap light $14.99 which is surprisingly bright and in the correct spectrum, I’m sure it will work fine:
B1F4ADCD-F196-46C3-A7E6-E66BF6FFB7B2.jpeg

3EA51286-B414-4652-8952-02D28894AD30.jpeg

Now the tisbe pods are in for a treat, can’t wait to see them grow.

Next step is waiting for the bta to settle where it wants so I can arrange the corals I have and start getting a few more. I want to add just colorful contrasting neon corals. We’ll see.

Fishwise I got my eyes on a yellow eye kole tang and would also like to add a wrasse.

That’s it for now, thanks for reading.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back