OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You corals are absolutely awesome , I need to stabilized my tank it has never been like this, no clue exactly what happen and still trying to ping pong what happen, where has I fail after couple years , ughhh
Thanks - every tank has their ups and downs.

U

User1

View Badges
Um... @MnFish1 how is it I never saw your build thread (maybe because I'm a big dummy and didn't follow the links in your sig?)???

Nice angels and tank. Really digging the aquascape and rockwork. I get a really good sense of depth. Can't believe I never caught it before. Feel like a dork but thanks for the PM which drew my attention to it.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any new updates?
Here are a couple pictures from yesterday - again - the tank divided into thirds. Because of a couple doses of 'a popular supplement designed to remove algae (It did) - I had a major die off of SPS - the large GSP did not open for at least 3 months - now things are coming back - including things that had not been seen for years (a leather coral, multiple SPS, and unfortunately some aiptasia (which I have never had before)

IMG_3357.jpeg IMG_3358.jpeg IMG_3359.jpeg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Tank Shot - with lights on more fully:

IMG_3366 copy.jpeg
It looks like everything is recovering nicely! Looks better than my tank! ;Shamefullyembarrased

Last edited:
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update video: (Note - R2R videos do not work on SAFARI on the MAC - you can see the video using Chrome or Firefox) - depending on your security settings

Last edited:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!

For some reason, I had in my head that a harlequin tusk is not reef safe, obviously that is incorrect. I wonder wy I thought that! Such a pretty fish!

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

For some reason, I had in my head that a harlequin tusk is not reef safe, obviously that is incorrect. I wonder wy I thought that! Such a pretty fish!
He seems to enjoy cleaning up the 'clean-up crew'.... But - frankly - I havent noticed any difference in 'cleanliness'

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You corals are absolutely awesome , I need to stabilized my tank it has never been like this, no clue exactly what happen and still trying to ping pong what happen, where has I fail after couple years , ughhh
I think rather than look at whats there - pretend to look at what didn't make it - what tends to survive in these 'perfect tanks' - tends to be (IME) - what survives in the conditions - and with the organisms in your tank.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one tank w/ dead rock from BRS b/c I wanted to be enviromentally friendly. Earlier in my hobby I had live rock flown in for another tank. I personally think the live rock is 100% better and ended up swapping between the 2 tanks to add depth to the dead rock system. I found the DR to be very light? Have you worked with both? Ever notice any differences?
Yes - I've worked with both. When I first started reefing - the 'standard' was to buy 'base rock' - which basically was formerly 'live rock' that was left in buckets until 99 percent of the stuff died off. THEN - you could buy pieces of 'live rock' - direct from the reef - to put on top of the 'base'. I know this will be considered 'heresy' - but - in 6 weeks to 6 months 'dead rock' is 'live rock'. Adding fish, corals, inverts earlier rather than later speeds up this process. I think the 'uglies' stages relate to a large amount of real estate - where (insert your ugly here) - will take over.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back