Red Sea Reefer vs Max E Series - Profile Dimensions Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have never seen either a Reefer or Max E in person so I apologize for the stupid question. Can anyone tell me how much higher the back profile is on the Max E versus the Reefer? It looks like on the Max E it extends at least a few inches higher than the rim, whereas on the Reefer it essentially depends on the water line.

Basically I'd like something that has as little of the equipment adding to the profile as possible.

Thanks!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have never seen either a Reefer or Max E in person so I apologize for the stupid question. Can anyone tell me how much high the back profile is on the Max E versus the Reefer? It looks like on the Max E it extends at least a few inches higher than the rim, whereas on the Reefer it essentially depends on the water line.

Basically I'd like something that has as little of the equipment adding to the profile as possible.

Thanks!

On most all in one tanks (AIO) (Red Sea, Innovative Marine, Cad Lights, etc), the rear compartment of the tank is flush. However, once you add equipment like a protein skimmer this extends above the tank. In my opinion, it creates an eyesore, when you see the protein skimmer sticking out of your tank like a pole. The Red Sea Max have a little acrylic cover that extends a few inches and covers all of that. It creates a much prettier visual appearance. The equipment is hidden.

The reason the Reefer has such a low profile is that all the equipment is below the tank in the sump.

The Max is more "plug-and-play" and is one of the best looking AIO, the Reefer is a bit more DIY setup.

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On most all in one tanks (AIO) (Red Sea, Innovative Marine, Cad Lights, etc), the rear compartment of the tank is flush. However, once you add equipment like a protein skimmer this extends above the tank. In my opinion, it creates an eyesore, when you see the protein skimmer sticking out of your tank like a pole. The Red Sea Max have a little acrylic cover that extends a few inches and covers all of that. It creates a much prettier visual appearance. The equipment is hidden.

The reason the Reefer has such a low profile is that all the equipment is below the tank in the sump.

The Max is more "plug-and-play" and is one of the best looking AIO, the Reefer is a bit more DIY setup.

Cheers thanks. The last couple of weeks I was a couple clicks away from a Max E but since have started to lean towards the Reefer. A big part is the profile (even though it's probably not a huge difference). Plus the in-cabinet sump and adding the extras etc.

Jeff Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the red Sea max 170. Excellent AIO setup. Holistic bear nailed it exactly.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers thanks. The last couple of weeks I was a couple clicks away from a Max E but since have started to lean towards the Reefer. A big part is the profile (even though it's probably not a huge difference). Plus the in-cabinet sump and adding the extras etc.

Not sure what model you are considering. To most people, having a sump allows them to pick exactly the equipment they want, have a more efficient tank, and it's easier to work in.

I will mention two downsides. On a small tank (Reefer Nano/170), you are going to struggle to get all the equipment to fit in the cabinet. On the Max, since much of the equipment is in the back, the stand is empty, and you can get everything you want in there. If you need a small Ikea cabinet next to the tank, that might defeat the profile look you're going for.

The other downside is that while choosing your gear and handling plumbing is fun for many, with the Max the equipment isn't bad, and you can immediately focus on learning how to take care of the inhabitants rather than learning gear.

If you look at the profile of an innovative marine tank, the Red Sea AIO are so much cleaner. Nothing like a dirty skimmer cup to ruin the aesthetic you're looking for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - the size considerations are between the Max E 260 or the Reefer 250 Deluxe. I don't know why and maybe I'm going crazy but the acrylic cover on the Max bothers me, but like I said - never even seen one in person and it could be a function of me researching too much!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - the size considerations are between the Max E 260 or the Reefer 250 Deluxe. I don't know why and maybe I'm going crazy but the acrylic cover on the Max bothers me, but like I said - never even seen one in person and it could be a function of me researching too much!

Not sure if you travel, but seeing it in person helps. I don't think your reaction is wrong either, the first time I saw one, I didn't like it at all. There are a few YouTube Videos. Vivid Aquariums has a detailed series on setting up a Reefer 170 and one on Max 170. That might help.

However, after owning a Reefer 170 and living in a small apartment in the city, I've learned to appreciate the Max. If you simply want everything to fit in the cabinet, it's a struggle on the small Reefers. Remember the cabinet below the Max is dry, so it feels safer for electronics. The vast majority of people on R2R pick the reefer. But if I needed to fit everything under the stand, the Max has some appeal.

Besides my sump on my 170 have:
  • ~4 Gallon ATO Container
  • 4 1.5L Dosing Containers
  • Aquarium Controller
  • Doser
  • Beaucoup ******** power bricks + cables
  • Controller for my return pump
  • Controller for my Gyre Pump
  • Controller for my Vortech Pump
As you can see, I needed an Ikea cabinet :) I don't regret my choice, but I can't make it work under a single cabinet.

Last edited:

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple showing the cover you speak of. E260.
c237dbb940bde0f8a2b64b68ea3268a9.jpg
39b1786ea47293aa76f92f6dfb5806ca.jpg

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks! I stayed away from the computer intentionally the last couple of days. Leaning more towards the Reefer tbh now but I'll probably flip back and forth a few dozen times more...

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with Kordon's (Aquarium Systems) L'Aquarium range? I'm based out of Europe so could pick one up fairly easily.

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a black tinted glass piece, not acrylic. It's solid feeling, doesnt flex around, it doesnt feel like a cheap piece of random plastic. It's flush in line with the false rear wall of the tank. I like the look of it personally. It's super easy to rotate down to get to whatever you need in the rear, and hides all wires and everything. You honestly dont even notice it after awhile.
Here is mine

5gee51Bl.jpg

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reefer 250. Nice tank. Only issue is I don't like the pumping and the bulkhead setup. Have to use their parts no way to convert to standard bulkhead. There bulkhead fitting is thin, weak, and cheap.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back