nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elos held up 10 years no issue, it was because I had to move that I sold the elos (set up new tank, aquaforest oceanguard, at new place first, moved fish and corals over).

I know what my next tank will be, either an elos or acrylic, nothing beats peace of mind.
Is it possible to get an Elos tank? these days BTW I’m eyeing the new eshopps mariner tanks because of the use of bottom brace, seam protection and full support at bottom of tank. And cabinet is solid plywood

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I haven’t heard about tank failures with the red sea max -s 400,500,650 series. Maybe I missed it or the MAX S 400,500,650 are much higher quality? That series uses aluminum stands instead of ply or mdf.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I haven’t heard about tank failures with the red sea max -s 400,500,650 series. Maybe I missed it or the MAX S 400,500,650 are much higher quality? That series uses aluminum stands instead of ply or mdf.
Personally I do not think the stand is at fault, at least the construction of it. The DESIGN of the stand is the issue. The entire front pane is suspended by nothing but silicone. Its always the front pane the blows out. Yeah i know its the largest side with rhe most pressure, but the back is also the same size pane amd ahould have equal pressure but never blows out. Always the front, and it is unsupported on most of their tanks. I think the newest generation or whatever they are calling them has a thin piece of metal angle that is screwed into the top of the stand to allow that "flush door to glass" look but also actually support the front pane, instead of leaving it hanging.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do not think the stand is at fault, at least the construction of it. The DESIGN of the stand is the issue. The entire front pane is suspended by nothing but silicone. Its always the front pane the blows out. Yeah i know its the largest side with rhe most pressure, but the back is also the same size pane amd ahould have equal pressure but never blows out. Always the front, and it is unsupported on most of their tanks. I think the newest generation or whatever they are calling them has a thin piece of metal angle that is screwed into the top of the stand to allow that "flush door to glass" look but also actually support the front pane, instead of leaving it hanging.
yeah I don't understand why they make a hanging front glass panel. It doesn't even look that nice. They should have made the stand with a solid plywood/composite-top panel. Also don't get the rimless look, so much light spill and evaporation, why not make it with a slim hood with the option on adding fans/vents.
Now since I have not heard of any back panel of redsea tanks failing, I think if I buy a redsea tank, I will just put a proper waterproofed 3/8 inch thick panel on the stand and reinforce with an anodised thick aluminum angle over entire span of the tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good call. out of about 100+ reported breaks, not one was in the rear lower seam. sides and front for 100% of them.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rather insiduous thought crossed my mind. Maybe they engineered it with the front panel to have a calculated amount of bending shear that will break or show signs of wear just after warranty..evil evil thought.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea tanks are a disaster. They scrub all discourse on the matter both here, facebook, and even their stupid twitter page. Every single G1 user should have sued. Yet, people still buy them. There are better systems too. However I shouldn't talk. I use their doser and their ATO. Both solid equipment with great features. Like temp monitoring and such. But those tanks!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea tanks are a disaster. They scrub all discourse on the matter both here, facebook, and even their stupid twitter page. Every single G1 user should have sued. Yet, people still buy them. There are better systems too. However I shouldn't talk. I use their doser and their ATO. Both solid equipment with great features. Like temp monitoring and such. But those tanks!
Inwas banned from the Red Sea group on Facebook for my same comment above about the unsupported front pane. Even the Peninsula tanks blow out of the door side, which is the floating pane. "There is no war in Ba Sing Se."

I have a Red Sea tank myself. Its a xxl750 V2, with a vertical support in the middle of the sump, and a horizontal piece of angle that screws into the stand and supports the front pane. It just had its second birthday. If it goes, I'd probably have to leave the hobby, or scale back TREMENDOUSLY. I have no way of replacing a tank of that size anymore.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ready made tanks with armored seams out there? I am interested. Only other i heard of is the eshopps

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inwas banned from the Red Sea group on Facebook for my same comment above about the unsupported front pane. Even the Peninsula tanks blow out of the door side, which is the floating pane. "There is no war in Ba Sing Se."

I have a Red Sea tank myself. Its a xxl750 V2, with a vertical support in the middle of the sump, and a horizontal piece of angle that screws into the stand and supports the front pane. It just had its second birthday. If it goes, I'd probably have to leave the hobby, or scale back TREMENDOUSLY. I have no way of replacing a tank of that size anymore.
Even the Peninsula tanks blow out of the door side, which is the floating pane. "There is no war in Ba Sing Se." - another evidence of problem with the floating panel design

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ready on market tanks with armored seams out there? I am interested. Only other i heard of is the eshopps
Yeah lots. Custom, crystal, waterbox, JBJ, reef savvy, I know I am missing some. These are considered add ons for their custom made products. I don't feel they are necessary for most tanks. But if I had a TALL anything hell yeah I'd slap those babies on there.

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ready made tanks with armored seams out there? I am interested. Only other i heard of is the eshopps
I have a Red Sea Reefer S-850. It has eurobracing on the top and armored seams. It also sits on an aluminum stand as opposed to the wood / compressed particle board ones. I know there's a lot of dislike towards the old Red Sea Reefers, but I really like my S-850 :)

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer S-850. It has eurobracing on the top and armored seams. It also sits on an aluminum stand as opposed to the wood / compressed particle board ones. I know there's a lot of dislike towards the old Red Sea Reefers, but I really like my S-850 :)
That sump seems really cramped. Is it?

EasternShoreman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of any Commercially available tanks (non custom if possible) with Eurobracing and armored seams in the 100 gallon range? trying to appease the admiral.

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump seems really cramped. Is it?
Hmm it's a good question. I think in a perfect situation it wouldn't wrap around in a circle from a compartment standpoint. So yes, getting to the return section can be a bit of a pain, which I don't like. Having said that, I love the sump extender tank on the right. I turned it into a frag tank, which is awesome.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back