Red Sea Trace color dosing

jeremybrowntattoos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the trace color ABCD from Red Sea. My question is can I equally mix all four together in a separate bottle and dose it all at once using my Neptune doser? Or do I have to keep them separate and individually dose? Thanks in advance

image.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like that yes. All the good stuff that you paid for will precipitate together and come out of solution. When it does that, it is no longer able to do its job. Basicly wastes the product.

Besides that, if they made them so you could mix them, then they wouldn't be able to sell you 4 head dosers.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jeremybrowntattoos it’s best not to mix them. That’s why they ship in separate bottles and also so you can adjust different dosing amounts after testing them separately. Three of them bottles A, B, and C are: Potassium, Iodide, and Iron are the chief components of each individual bottle and bottle D is a combination of elements. The three I listed above can all be tested for with RS Trace Colors Pro testing kit individually. You should always test for everything you add to your tank !!!!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, we should always test for elements we add, but what about a two part alkalinity/calcium that has trace elements included, do you test for whatever trace elements that are in that two-part dosing system?
@jeremybrowntattoos elements are divided into major, minor, and trace. I believe major should be tested anywhere from daily to weekly. The others per month to monthly with ICP which is expensive but accurate and very helpful.

OP
OP
J

jeremybrowntattoos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jeremybrowntattoos elements are divided into major, minor, and trace. I believe major should be tested anywhere from daily to weekly. The others per month to monthly with ICP which is expensive but accurate and very helpful.
I just got my ICP test, I’m going to send it out today. It’s gonna be my first time doing it. I’m new to reefing so I’m figuring stuff out. Thanks for the reply

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my ICP test, I’m going to send it out today. It’s gonna be my first time doing it. I’m new to reefing so I’m figuring stuff out. Thanks for the reply
IMHO, with the money you spent on these stuff and icp testes, you could've bought a bucket of red sea salt. And with more frequent water changes you don't have to dose these elements and test for them and its a much much safer way to maintain your tank, simpler too (to me at least).

OP
OP
J

jeremybrowntattoos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, with the money you spent on these stuff and icp testes, you could've bought a bucket of red sea salt. And with more frequent water changes you don't have to dose these elements and test for them and its a much much safer way to maintain your tank, simpler too (to me at least).
That’s exactly what I was thinking too, my tank is very clean nutrients are very low, I have very good filtration a very good skimmer, I only do water changes because sometimes my sand bed gets a little dirty. I wanna minimize any testing. Here’s a picture of my tank.

Attachments

• 41181DAB-4C91-42EA-88BA-6F250A286424.jpeg
    41181DAB-4C91-42EA-88BA-6F250A286424.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 45

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back