Red slime algae?

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am housing my sons 30 gallon tank for him while he is in the process of moving.
We moved the tank to my house about 3 months ago and as expected there was an algae bloom. At the time it was just green hair algae but now that algae is covered by what I believe is red slime algae. This red algae is also covering some of the corals in his tank
He has done water changes and has been dosing it with Algaefix which seems to shrink the algae when dosed (every 3 days) but it seems to gain momentum again after a day.
I just checked the parameters (ammonia is 0.25, Nitrates and Nitrites are both 0). He is using Arctic -T247 lights (I am not sure at what % he has each color set at though)

My questions are:

-Does this look like red slime algae?
-what is the best way to get rid of it as well as the hair algae?

Also, unfortunately we will be moving (not know when we took on the tank) within the next 2 weeks so there will be another stressor on the tank...

Another question:
There is an engineer goby in this tank that I plan to QT and transfer to my tank which is larger. What is the best way to QT it and not bring “junk” into my tank?

Attachments

• IMG_6829.MOV
    45.4 MB

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From color alone it’s hard to tell. But it looks like cyano. The way to test is to use a turkey baster and blow off a section. If it blows off in ribbons, it’s most likely cyano. I recommend using chemiclean. It’s quite easy. Just make sure you have a skimmer connected and know that it will overflow in some cases.

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From color alone it’s hard to tell. But it looks like cyano. The way to test is to use a turkey baster and blow off a section. If it blows off in ribbons, it’s most likely cyano. I recommend using chemiclean. It’s quite easy. Just make sure you have a skimmer connected and know that it will overflow in some cases.
Thanks, I did blow it with a baster and it came off as you described.
Is Chemiclean safe for fish?

Any recommendations on QT’ing the Goby doesn’t doesn’t bring it into my tank?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I did blow it with a baster and it came off as you described.
Is Chemiclean safe for fish?

Any recommendations on QT’ing the Goby doesn’t doesn’t bring it into my tank?
Chemiclean is safe and almost works in the background. Skimmer may fizzle but it’s all good.

For QT, here is a good article.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back