Redbug treatment details

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

This has been covered I'm sure but i thought i'd add my experience so far with getting rid of these little turds.

If you're not familiar with what these guys look like here is a video i shot before treatment. they are TINY! this video is shot with a macro lens and extension tubes. the frame shows about 1/2" of this acro frag.

Treatment for redbugs is done with a dog heartworm medication called interceptor, now called interceptor plus. I went to my vet and they had no problem selling me a single pill of it so i could treat my tank.

After researching i decided on a dosage of 0.025g per 10 gal, which in my small 32 gal tank i measured out 0.09g of material.

The major drawback of this treatment is it will kill all your crustaceans. Thats hermits, crabs, shrimp, and pods.

I removed my hermits to go live in a friend of mines tank, i've got no crabs or shrimp since i dont trust them so that wasnt an issue.

First treatment was a total of about 9 hours. it took around 8 for the redbugs to appear to all be dead. there were a few that were attached by a filament to the the coral body but appeared to be dead.

After 9 hours i performed a 25% wc and put in a healthy amount of carbon to help get the residual medication out. i noticed no negative effects on coral or fish during the treatment.

I took video and still shots between 30 and 60 minutes apart during treatment. here is the footage.

The next week i did another treatment which i left in for over 12 hours with no negative effects on inhabitants. one more treatment to go then i will reintroduce hermits and pods back into the system.

The only downside that i have run into with this treatment is algae growth, which i assume is because of pod die off and possibly slightly overfeeding due to my CUC not being complete right now. i've cut feeding amouts to 50%, doing a midweek 25% wc, and replacing phosguard to help beat the nutrient levels down.

Hopefully this helps someone who is wanting to eradicate these little guys from your tank.

Thanks and happy reefing!

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the 3rd treatment today. did a 50% WC and changed out carbon and phosguard media.

Conclusion:

This treatment was very effective in eliminating the redbugs. It also decimated my pod population which resulted in some unwanted algae growth. Overall it was fairly painless except for a slight disruption to my system which i'm guessing will stabilize back out here soon.

Pic several hours after WC
20170217_143041.jpg

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ... the added ingredient of "praziquantel" in the Interceptor PLUS" had no ill affect on fish or corals?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back