Redbug treatment details

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This has been covered I'm sure but i thought i'd add my experience so far with getting rid of these little turds.

If you're not familiar with what these guys look like here is a video i shot before treatment. they are TINY! this video is shot with a macro lens and extension tubes. the frame shows about 1/2" of this acro frag.

Treatment for redbugs is done with a dog heartworm medication called interceptor, now called interceptor plus. I went to my vet and they had no problem selling me a single pill of it so i could treat my tank.

After researching i decided on a dosage of 0.025g per 10 gal, which in my small 32 gal tank i measured out 0.09g of material.

The major drawback of this treatment is it will kill all your crustaceans. Thats hermits, crabs, shrimp, and pods.

I removed my hermits to go live in a friend of mines tank, i've got no crabs or shrimp since i dont trust them so that wasnt an issue.

First treatment was a total of about 9 hours. it took around 8 for the redbugs to appear to all be dead. there were a few that were attached by a filament to the the coral body but appeared to be dead.

After 9 hours i performed a 25% wc and put in a healthy amount of carbon to help get the residual medication out. i noticed no negative effects on coral or fish during the treatment.

I took video and still shots between 30 and 60 minutes apart during treatment. here is the footage.

The next week i did another treatment which i left in for over 12 hours with no negative effects on inhabitants. one more treatment to go then i will reintroduce hermits and pods back into the system.

The only downside that i have run into with this treatment is algae growth, which i assume is because of pod die off and possibly slightly overfeeding due to my CUC not being complete right now. i've cut feeding amouts to 50%, doing a midweek 25% wc, and replacing phosguard to help beat the nutrient levels down.

Hopefully this helps someone who is wanting to eradicate these little guys from your tank.

Thanks and happy reefing!

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Finished the 3rd treatment today. did a 50% WC and changed out carbon and phosguard media.

Conclusion:

This treatment was very effective in eliminating the redbugs. It also decimated my pod population which resulted in some unwanted algae growth. Overall it was fairly painless except for a slight disruption to my system which i'm guessing will stabilize back out here soon.

Pic several hours after WC
20170217_143041.jpg

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Where do you go in case of a real reef tank emergency?

• Me, myself and I

Votes: 278 43.2%
  • Local Friend

Votes: 65 10.1%
  • Reef2Reef

Votes: 251 39.0%
  • Other

Votes: 49 7.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors