RedSea Reefer 250/ Recommendations for Skimmer and Return Pump

FelipeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, My name is Felipe, I´m new into the Hobby and I just bought a RedSea Reefer 250, But i want to know what Skimmer and Return pump would fit and work perfectly with this Aquarium.

P.S. I'm looking for a Quiet Return Pump

Greetings!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quietest return pump I've found: Reef Octopus VarioS. For your tank, I would get either a VarioS-4 or VarioS-6. I tested the decibels, no increase from ambient at about 80% power.

I've tried: Eheim, Sicce, Skimz, and Reef Octopus. I haven't tried the EcoTech, but I think those are pretty good too. The nice thing about VarioS (I didn't think I'd ever care for, but ended up really liking) was the ability to control it with an Apex VDM to my Apex Jr., and the float sensor for shutting off the pump for when the water level drops too low.

For a skimmer, I would recommend a NYOS Quantum 120. Pretty quiet and works great for a Reefer 250. I bet there are quieter ones, but I've only been able to try the Simplicity 120 and Quantum 120 head to head. Quantum wins on sound and performance for me.

I've had a bubble king mini 160 in the past, I think that one is comparable of not quieter. Might be a bit overkill for even a 250.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sithrico @pelphrey @Broadfield any advice to my friend? I finally convinced him to get into the hobby!
Thanks in advance guys!
If you can go bigger with a tank do it. I wish I would have gone with a bigger reefer. It is what it is though. Plan your equipment list out. Don't rush anything to buy because "______ uses this" Get what you want.Do your homework on the equiment. You know what you want to stock and how you want your tank to look. Don't waste money on something you need, and buy what you can afford. Example, I have bought 2 different refuge lights and going to buy another. I went cheapest, then cheap, now going to get what I should have gotten. I should have just waited and saved for the best and not wasted money on the other crap. Study, study, and study. You're never going to know everything. Someone else doesn't know everything. We all know what we know by research. Your tank is different than mine. Your water where you are is different. Different salt, atmosphere. Even the tanks. Just because we bought the same brand doesn't mean they used the same materials to make them. Try different things. Just cause it works for me may not work for you. You have to remember this hobby is basicly a science experiment that is long-term and beautiful. The outcome is all up to what your willing to put into the experiment.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to be running an Apex, then you would be hard pressed to beat the Neptune COR 15 for the price, ease of installation, functionality with the Apex and quietness. It's not released yet, but should be very soon.

As for skimmer, Nyos 120 for sure!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Nyos 120 skimmer, great skimmer.

I ran the VarioS 6 on my tank for nearly a year, I am running the Neptune COR20 now. No different in pump size, both are silent.

I've got an entire playlist of videos covering my journey with the Reefer 250 on YouTube.

richwonton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Nyos 120 skimmer, great skimmer.

I ran the VarioS 6 on my tank for nearly a year, I am running the Neptune COR20 now. No different in pump size, both are silent.

I've got an entire playlist of videos covering my journey with the Reefer 250 on YouTube.
What’s your YouTube channel?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back