RedSea Reefer S-1000 Build

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I talked with Red Sea. The valve isnt meant to close all the way, and they do recommend on the spec sheet a return pump with higher flow then my existing pump. My plan was to upgrade my return eventually but in the meantime I am going to upgrade the valve to a gate valve so I can dial it in to my existing pump and save on any headaches down the road. I'm honestly not sure when I'll upgrade returns. My Ecotech S2 is 1400gph, thats 4x turnover an hour through the sump which honestly is plenty with the amount of intake flow I have.
You should probably look up a calculator for head loss... that S2 probably isn't putting out 1400 GPH. This is the chart that Ecotech gives on their website for the S2. Estimating about 4.5 feet of vertical difference plus maybe a couple of 90 degree elbows, you're looking at roughly 1000 GPH max. It'll drop quick, too, as the pump gets older and when it builds up with detritus.

S1_Graph.jpg

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably look up a calculator for head loss... that S2 probably isn't putting out 1400 GPH. This is the chart that Ecotech gives on their website for the S2. Estimating about 4.5 feet of vertical difference plus maybe a couple of 90 degree elbows, you're looking at roughly 1000 GPH max. It'll drop quick, too, as the pump gets older and when it builds up with detritus.

S1_Graph.jpg
Even at 1000gph thats just under 4x turnover. Many people are successful running 3-6x. I have not had any issues with not being able to efficiently heat the tank with the current turnover. As I said ultimately I'd like to upgrade it but right now I'm not sure when that will happen and the gate valve is a solid upgrade either way.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that s2 is way too small for that size tank. I run one on my frag tank and it’s only 42g. For your size tank, I’d use the L2.

BTW, amazing build!

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even at 1000gph thats just under 4x turnover. Many people are successful running 3-6x. I have not had any issues with not being able to efficiently heat the tank with the current turnover. As I said ultimately I'd like to upgrade it but right now I'm not sure when that will happen and the gate valve is a solid upgrade either way.
I completely agree with you, I just thought I'd give you a heads up. I personally shoot for 3x-6x turnover as well!

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just throw on a cheap sicce AC return pump since the plumbing can handle 2x return pumps anyway?

that will give you a fail safe and also increase your flow through the system

Knd107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

I didn't make it up to RAP this year but my S-1000 is on its way here. Just waiting on scheduling the delivery from the freight company.

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

I didn't make it up to RAP this year but my S-1000 is on its way here. Just waiting on scheduling the delivery from the freight company.
When did you order yours? I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and i'm still unsure when it will arrive

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you order yours? I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and i'm still unsure when it will arrive
I ordered it April 20th. That was the first day Red Sea made them available to order. When they debuted them, there was an option to sign up for “early access” which basically meant an email alert saying you can buy it. So I ordered it 30 minutes after that email

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on adding another hydra still? Or going to stick with the 4 you have?

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on adding another hydra still? Or going to stick with the 4 you have?
As of right now, I dont have any plans to add more lights. Those PAR values are with the lights at about 80% and getting a range that im very happy with. My LPS seems to be very happy at 200PAR and there are highspots for SPS in the future

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank, you've done an amazing job setting it up. I also really love how nice and tidy you have kept all the wires. I'm not going to lie I'm a little jealous, mine looks like a huge rat's nest. Keep up the great work.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back