OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic. I will clean the glass and get a newer one in the next few days. It’s an observation system so I don’t typically keep it in pristine condition.

983AC129-A121-4635-A490-297E5A13B646.jpeg

19E0652D-3163-470C-81B3-61ED642394DE.jpeg

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue was getting the wrasses to eat pellets. I watched a video online and it said to stick to a routine and give an Audible sound that would essentially train them while in QT. Also feeding something they are currently use to eating at the same time.

I would typically feed around 3pm daily and when I would lift the lid to feed, I would almost tap the top of the lid and tank (not to startle him but enough to know Im doing something) then add the pellets and mysis.. eventually he caught on that it’s 3pm and I’m tapping means food..

When I was going thru my search I came across 2 additional things;
1.) don’t feed for 3-4 days the fish will eat anything after that point. (I didn’t do this and did the tap method lol)
2.) once they are outta qt and see another fish eating they will realize almost immediately that it’s food.

good luck

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had much luck with pellets. Always pretty much used frozen foods. But might give that a try again.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anampses first took live black worms and then finely chopped LRS and fresh live clams that was frozen and chopped. The hardest part was chopping it small enough for them to eat.

She now eats anything that hits the water including pellets. Pretty sure she would eat hot pepper flakes if I tossed them in.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick FYI.. I feed a mix of everything pellets flake frozen and been using rods food (blend of everything)

it was important to me that all fish eat pellets because I’m outta town often and an auto feeder takes care of daily feedings during that time..

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop feeding worms if it's not something you can feed in ur tank fuevtonhigh competition or sourcing issues. Only feed them if he hasn't eaten in few days to avoid starving him. If eating the spitting mysis I'd keep trying mysis for few days and most likely he will start swallowing. Once there u can mix pellets with mysis so he slowly eats pellets as well.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tamarin wrasse. My LFS suggested it for me. I was lucky. Mine eats everything that I toss into the tank: four kinds of pellets, brine and mysis. You might get a small peaceful fish to stick in with him. If he sees another fish eating he might get the idea. Also put a small powerhead in. Frozen food moving with the current can look alive and trigger a feeding response.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anampses meleagrides eats pellet food! Once you have them out of QT and eating live food with gusto, I think it is just a matter of time. Once mine was in the DT, he picked at everything on the rocks and within 1-2 weeks was responding to feedings of frozen and pellet just like everyone else. In my experience, the risk with anampses is getting them to eat *something* in the first place. If you get them through QT and eating, it should be smooth sailing.

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop feeding worms if it's not something you can feed in ur tank fuevtonhigh competition or sourcing issues. Only feed them if he hasn't eaten in few days to avoid starving him. If eating the spitting mysis I'd keep trying mysis for few days and most likely he will start swallowing. Once there u can mix pellets with mysis so he slowly eats pellets as well.

I'm trying to wean him off white worms.. I can keep them but I worry about the culture crashing. He seems to like reef caviar at the moment followed by cycops and maybe pe calanus.

My Anampses meleagrides eats pellet food! Once you have them out of QT and eating live food with gusto, I think it is just a matter of time. Once mine was in the DT, he picked at everything on the rocks and within 1-2 weeks was responding to feedings of frozen and pellet just like everyone else. In my experience, the risk with anampses is getting them to eat *something* in the first place. If you get them through QT and eating, it should be smooth sailing.

That is great to hear. I'm hoping now that it decided it likes reef caviar and cylops/pe calanus I will be able to add him to the display tank in the future.

Right now I'm feeding 5x/day to fatten him back up. Comes right the feeding ring every time I get near the tank.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back