Reducing live rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter TDG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TDG

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
Virginia, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 90 gallon reef tanks draining into a 100 gallon sump. The 90s are full of rock work and one of the 90s is starting to have algae issues. The tanks are 5 years old.

Would I do more harm than good if I removed some of the live rock, cleaned the algae off and place it in my sump (not back in the 90 gallon tanks)? I would like to free up more room in my 90s. Does live rock need a light source to be beneficial? The sump has no lights on it.

Thanks.
 
You could do that, as long as you didn't kill the bacteria in the rock, you could just give it a scrub down and throw it into the sump. you wouldn't need any light for it. Just do'nt dip it or let it dry out.
Adding a light to the sump and growing macro algae would more than likely keep it out of your main tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new