Redux here from Wisconsin

Marks38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 years ago I was at my limit with a 265g, a 150g, a 92g corner and a 50g which were all reef. The 92 corner was my pride and joy of them all back then. Now I am back at it with a converted 14g biocube and a 38g peninsula. The 14g will now be a quarantine tank. It got hit pretty hard with the Tropic Marin salt issue and some pretty high nitrate rock I got at a LFS while trying to go ULM system. The 38g is up and coming with lots of support.

I sure am surprised at what has all changed in 10 years. I am rethinking and relearning a lot of ways to go about it. It almost seemed easier back then. My goal will be a mixed reef in the 38G and maybe see what might survive a hospital tank while dosing meds for when in the time in need (hopefully not of course).

Currently;
38 G Fiji AIO Peninsula: Ice Cap K1 skimmer, Radion XR15 G5 Pro, Fiji hang on refugium with Brightwell NO3 brick, Jebao SOW 3 wave maker, Reef Breeder Prism ATO, 18W Pentair UV coming.
14G Biocube: Ice Cap neo skimmer, AI Prime 16HD, Jebao SOW 3 wave maker, Reef Breeder Prism ATO

Mark
SE Wisconsin

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby!! :)

Your the second person that I have read about the salt issue, sorry.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 years ago I was at my limit with a 265g, a 150g, a 92g corner and a 50g which were all reef. The 92 corner was my pride and joy of them all back then. Now I am back at it with a converted 14g biocube and a 38g peninsula. The 14g will now be a quarantine tank. It got hit pretty hard with the Tropic Marin salt issue and some pretty high nitrate rock I got at a LFS while trying to go ULM system. The 38g is up and coming with lots of support.

I sure am surprised at what has all changed in 10 years. I am rethinking and relearning a lot of ways to go about it. It almost seemed easier back then. My goal will be a mixed reef in the 38G and maybe see what might survive a hospital tank while dosing meds for when in the time in need (hopefully not of course).

Currently;
38 G Fiji AIO Peninsula: Ice Cap K1 skimmer, Radion XR15 G5 Pro, Fiji hang on refugium with Brightwell NO3 brick, Jebao SOW 3 wave maker, Reef Breeder Prism ATO, 18W Pentair UV coming.
14G Biocube: Ice Cap neo skimmer, AI Prime 16HD, Jebao SOW 3 wave maker, Reef Breeder Prism ATO

Mark
SE Wisconsin

Welcome Mark and welcome back to hobby! Glad you joined. Everything you knew before still applies, and will help you be more successful.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Entirely up to you, but you might do a thread for each tank (esp if you leave QT setup)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bien venidos y'all - and family home in Viroqua
don't think you are alone in the complexity - but there are lots of folks having success with no intervention - Have a 15 peninsula that get a 1 gallon water change a week, and a pinch KW in that gallon, and its thriving

but welcome, stay close and great to have you...

100.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back