Reed Mariculture Compact ulture System for copepods?

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on getting things spooled up to start a breeding program. I'm just about to the point where I am significantly scaling up my copepod production (currently Tigriopus, but Parvo or Tisbe next).

I was debating on using the @Reef Nutrition Compact Culture System (CCS) for the copepods and was curious if anybody was doing this. I would likely be running two black food grade three gallon buckets (shorter 5 gallon bucket) on a rotating basis and harvesting a couple times a week, keeping a portion reserved and fed to dose the larval tanks. This seems more managable with my morning schedule. I don't believe the life copepod cycle is fast enough that the copepod nauplii will be too big in three 2-3 days to feed, but I could be mistaken. Also, with the slower reproduction rate, I am not sure if the additional losses to the filter floss will be a hindrance.

Or would I be better off running a scaled down version of the IFAS harvester and Reed Mariculture Apocyclops protocol? [I like the product description for the culture vessel "...Bucket for Horse and Copepods, 70 Quart ..."]

I see the CCS potentially running cleaner, stronger, and more consistent. I don't have the space to run enough cultures (size and quantity) to harvest daily and deal with the batch rotations, even if it was shorter, more frequent harvests. I should have the space to ramp up a third batch once every 3-6 months to start a fresh culture if I am developing ciliates or detrimental cross contamination issues between the strains or feel the need to attempt to maintain the purity of a culture.

OP
OP
S

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit slow.

I've had a Nanno and Tet cultures going, harvesting weekly.
I've been scaling up a Tigriopus culture.

I need to reach out to Reed Maricuture tomorrow to see if I can get an order that falls outside of their stay at home packs with free shipping, or discounted, so I can get the remainder of what I need to get the rotifers started. Otherwise I'm going to have to wait until I can leave the house again and see if I can coordinate an order with one of the LFS's orders so I don't get killed with shipping.

I haven't decided if I'll split off a small sub-culture of copepods to trial the rotifer floss with them, or just run it in the main culture to see how things go. I think the P. fridmani are getting close to breeding size. I don't quite have the need for feeding yet, so I can still play around a bit.

You would think that I'd have been able to make more progress working mostly from home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back