Reef 5D - 100 Gallon Shallow Cube

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I have always been passionate about reef tanks but mainly because I used to live abroad and travel a lot for work I never committed to owning own. However, out of the blue, things changed 4 months ago (some might call it fate ;) ). I was at a birthday party having a chat with a friend and to break the ice I made a comment about his t-shirt that had sharks and other tropical fishes. Turns out he has been a reefer for 20 years!! I was blown away by the pictures he showed me of his amazing reef and thus I finally decided it was time to bring a part of the ocean to my living room.

Initially, the plan was to order a smaller rectangular tank but after finding these inspirations pics online I HAD TO find space on my flat (and convice the gf :D via flowers and chocolates) to do something similar, a shallow cube with a corner overflow and 4 viewing sides (I love the depth cubes have).

IMG-1-aquario.jpg
IMG-2-aquario.jpg

Well, that brings us to the present day. Everything I ordered has arrived and the journey of Reef 5D (4 side plus top view, original hein :p) begins.

Hope you enjoy this journey as much as I will and I am open and counting on your guidance!

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHAPTER 1 - SYSTEM

DT dimensions: 90x90x45cm (36x36x18 inches), corner overflow, 4 viewing sides
DT Volume: 360L (95gallons)
Sump: roughly 100L (26gallons) with a big refugium, skimmer chamber and return chamber
Fresh water tank: 100L (26gallons)
Stand: I created a 3D of the metal frame and here is the outcome, one of the bases is 3cm higher to allow for ventilation. I know it is overdesigned but cost of the simpler version was similar so better be safe then sorry. It was treated with zinc to prevent corrosion and a primer was also applied.

3Ds
Strcutre-Stand1.jpg

Sump3.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Reality

IMG-8012.jpg

IMG-8023.jpg

IMG-8024.jpg

IMG-8026.jpg

Next chapters: Aquascape, equipment & plumbing

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHAPTER 2 - Aquascape

Ahh aquascape... no pressure right?

After spending countless hours researching I decided I wanted a minimalistic layout suitable for a mixed reef, lots of negative space for fishes to swim and to potentially have a shoal. I do not like super full tanks or those old school rock walls.

My main challenges were:
1 - Finding a layout that looked good from the 4 sides
2 - Imagining how the corals would look when fully grown

The 3D animations I found on Alfredo Deus` topic here on R2R were a huge inspiration and I finally decided to test 2 layouts:

1 - 3 island layout
(2nd island is 2/3 the size of the big island, 3rd island is 2/3 the size of the 2nd island)

IMG-8068.jpg

IMG-8070.jpg

I did not like the huge gap in front of the overflow so I tried to push the bigger island back and to move to small island to that gap. Even worse...

IMG-8067.jpg

2 - Big peak with small islands creating a circle
Bingo loved it!

IMG-8073.jpg

IMG-8075.jpg
IMG-8077.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After applying glue to all the rocks and waiting 24h it was time to move them to the display tank.

Sand: Aquamedic Bali Sand 0.5-1.2mm
Rock: D-D Aquascape rock

Final layout

IMG-8237.jpg
IMG-8238.jpg

IMG-8241.jpg

IMG-8242.jpg

Next chapters: Equipment & plumbing

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think?

Also any tips on coralscaping (what to use where) are very much appreciated ;)

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

So after a long planning phase and some ups and downs during the process the tank finally has water! Tomorrow I will start the cycle.

And this is the equipment I will be using:

- 2x Hydra 52HD
- Maxspect SK 400 (great reviews so I am eager to turn it on)
- 2x Jebao SLW 20
- Jebao DCP 5000
- 2x 250W Eheim heaters
- D-D Temperature Control
- D-D ATO
- 2x wifi leak detectors
- 2x wifi smart power strips so that I can control everything while I am away (these will work together with a set of cameras I am installing to monitor everything)

One important question: The temperature controller I acquired has 1 outlet for heating and 1 for cooling. Do you connect both heaters to the heating outlet using an adpater so that the controller controls both heaters

or

do you keep 1 heater connected to the controller and the other heater 1ºC below the set temperature acting as a failsafe (if the controller fails, temperature will drop and the second heater when temperature drops 1ºC kicks in).

IMG-8357.jpg
IMG-8361.jpg

IMG-8366.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back