Reef Brite halide system users.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 36" SE MH/LED Reefbrite I also use the 10k/20k Dual arc. I freaking love it. I've used AI Vegas, AI Hydras, T5 supplement,. Then Kessil AP700's. Then last it was the ATI 8 Bulb 48" dimmable with two 48" Reefbrite XHO Actinic strips,. These reefbrite pendants are cooler than my ATI T5 setup. Oh. And yes I use the reefbrite 250w digital dimmable ballasts. Picture was without a lens filter. So wayyyy to blue
d4472e641a2b77dc7028a9cd4620a01e.jpg
5cc1636acca05b79a7d86f083eefba85.jpg
Call my stupid, but with the twin arc bulbs, aren't they built such that 10k turns on one time the bulb fires and the next time 20k? If that's true, do you then get a 10k look one day and a 20k look another? Maybe I'm not understanding the 10/20 bulb correctly...

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're seriously considering 2 of the 36" reefbrites for a reefer 750xxl. Seems like everyone loves them and they run cool. Now the decision of 250 watt or 400 watt, lol. Really like tridacna but the 750 is a large tank so I'm not sure if 250 watts will be enough
@DSC reef I have had the fixture 6 months, I was going to use it on a stand alone system. I decided to give it a shot and other than the little issue I had which turned into a GFCI issue - I am SO GLAD I DID. Its coverage on my 80 is I would say over coverage. I lent out my Par Meter but should have it back on Tuesday, and will post up my Pars for you on the 250w dual arc bulbs.

Also both of my clams are in tanks with ATI T5s on them and they do just fine. MY Squamy is getting about 200 par and thriving.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 10k / 20k bulb alternates. I have it come on first as 10k but then later in the day I power it off with the Apex and then back on a few min later and then it automatically comes on as 20k. The bulb has two arcs or filaments in each bulb.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 10k / 20k bulb alternates. I have it come on first as 10k but then later in the day I power it off with the Apex and then back on a few min later and then it automatically comes on as 20k. The bulb has two arcs or filaments in each bulb.
So I'm not wrong with how it works, you just need an extra on/off cycle in the daily schedule to utilize both. Makes sense.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's right if it is off overnight both circuits in the twin Arc bulb would actually be equal in temperature or resistance so it will always start with the 10K in the morning then if you have a quick off cycle then on it switches to the 20K for the remainder of that day

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the minimum time OFF between the 2 arcs?
Will it always start on 10K when "cold" (long time OFF)?
What is written on the bulb (pic?)?
Thanks.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef I have had the fixture 6 months, I was going to use it on a stand alone system. I decided to give it a shot and other than the little issue I had which turned into a GFCI issue - I am SO GLAD I DID. Its coverage on my 80 is I would say over coverage. I lent out my Par Meter but should have it back on Tuesday, and will post up my Pars for you on the 250w dual arc bulbs.

Also both of my clams are in tanks with ATI T5s on them and they do just fine. MY Squamy is getting about 200 par and thriving.
Maybe you should try to remove the GFCI or get a new one.
It could be that the problem is actually with it's usage or a problem with that particular GFCI.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the minimum time OFF between the 2 arcs?
Will it always start on 10K when "cold" (long time OFF)?
What is written on the bulb (pic?)?
Thanks.
I have read that at minimum a couple minutes. I have mine off for 4 min just to be sure.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should try to remove the GFCI or get a new one.
It could be that the problem is actually with it's usage or a problem with that particular GFCI.
Actually I did replace it and since I replaced it I have not had any other issues

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am liking this light so much I am contemplating swapping lights on my 93 cube. Currently run a 8 bulb ATI with (2) Reefbrite 24" XHO's. Coverage is great - everything is growing and thriving. So why change it lol.

Question - If I was to do a single 15" 400w unit with the included XHO's will that be good coverage, or do I just get the 400W pendant and keep my 24" XHO strips and retro fit a hanger? Im leaning to the cleanness of the fixture with the smaller XHO's - but tank is in my Fishroom and I know the Reefbrite stuff lines up well with 8020 and I have a bunch of it I could easily make a light rack.

OR just leave it alone as it is not broke so dont fix it? Anyone need a 24" ATI set up?? LOL

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - If I was to do a single 15" 400w unit with the included XHO's will that be good coverage, or do I just get the 400W pendant and keep my 24" XHO strips and retro fit a hanger? Im leaning to the cleanness of the fixture with the smaller XHO's - but tank is in my Fishroom and I know the Reefbrite stuff lines up well with 8020 and I have a bunch of it I could easily make a light rack.

Try emailing Reefbrite or Premium Aquatics. They may be able to get you just the MH Reefbrite pendant with the proper endcaps to attach your existing XHOs to. They’ll have you order to through Premium Aquatics as they handle all of Reefbrite custom jobs.

I’ve custom ordered XHO strips before in the aluminum/silver Tech strip housing to color match my with ATI fixture. Premium Aquatics and Reefbrite were very easy to work with.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update. I picked up some more Reefbrites. I am liking the 36" over my frag system so much I am changing them all up. I just picked up another 36" for my 100g display and am building a 400w Reefbrite with the 2x 24" XHO for my 93 cube.

Eventually my 100g DT will upgrade to the 225 and will run 3x RB Halides on that. I already have the 60" XHO's in preparation for that system. Guess I will be selling my ATI 60" 8 Bulb.

JuanGutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased 3 used 400 watt fixtures with the Reef Brite ballasts. My tank is only 24” deep though so will most likely be selling the ballast to buy 250watt versions. Can’t wait to recieve them.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another LED Bashing thread

What are you referring to ??

It doesn’t look like basement reefer has much else to say, best ignore and hopefully the mods pick up on it:

68b33eab27d3d4bdb2bcecec00d7005f.jpg

I would sincerely request all of you not to instigate this topic . If you have anything to contribute meaningful to the topic please do so or create your own thread but DO NOT AND I MEAN SO NOT - engage in confrontation .

We at Reef2reef pride ourselves in being a peaceful forum where everybody is a student to the art of reef keeping and there is no place for hard feelings and feuds .

#reefsquad

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back