Reef Brite halide system users.

JoeKelley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does RB make a 48" hybrid fixture? 2 15" makes sense mounted perpendicular for my tank but 36" seems too short for the reefbrites.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the flexibility of the pendants. If you change your setup or upgrade you can play with them.
The 36" fixture maybe would have more area for reflexion (?).
Grandis.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I have a question for all you Reef Brite users out there. Do you think a single 15" hybrid pendant would be enough coverage for a 36" long shallow tank (like a 40 breeder or similar)? I know the far sides would be darker, but that might be nice for lower light corals.

**Hope I'm not thread jacking....just figured since this thread was about Reef Brites, I would ask here. I can move and create a new thread if the OP wants. :)

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the flexibility of the pendants. If you change your setup or upgrade you can play with them.
The 36" fixture maybe would have more area for reflexion (?).
Grandis.
I think the 36 inch version is just two of the 15 inch pendants with an attachment in the middle. At least that is what it looks like at my LFS. I am planing on upgrading to a 36 inch wide tank in the near future. But buying only one pendant now I can use it on my bio cube and then when I get the larger tank I can add another one.

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question for all you Reef Brite users out there. Do you think a single 15" hybrid pendant would be enough coverage for a 36" long shallow tank (like a 40 breeder or similar)? I know the far sides would be darker, but that might be nice for lower light corals.

**Hope I'm not thread jacking....just figured since this thread was about Reef Brites, I would ask here. I can move and create a new thread if the OP wants. :)
Not thread jacking at all. I honestly don't know and that's something that I'm trying to decide myself. I have 3 options. Go with one 1 175 watt unit and try and make it cover the whole tank. Second I could try to keep one pendant but upgrade it to a 250 watt to get more punch and raise the fixture up to get larger coverage. Thirdly I could run 2 pendants with a 175 watt each and that is probably what I'm going to end up doing. even if my tank doesn't have a center brace that would make a single fixture an issue, I think the large reflectors would give me much less shadowing with two pendants. Much better fill. But your question is something I'm considering as well.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 36 inch version is just two of the 15 inch pendants with an attachment in the middle. At least that is what it looks like at my LFS. I am planing on upgrading to a 36 inch wide tank in the near future. But buying only one pendant now I can use it on my bio cube and then when I get the larger tank I can add another one.
I have one of the 15" pendants currently over my 66g, which is 32" long. Coverage is certainly adequate. I'm looking at upgrading to a 5' 150g. I figure adding a second 15" pendant makes more sense than the single 36" fixture. Plus, I already have the one 15" fixture.

Anyone disagree/think the 36" is the better way to go?

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not thread jacking at all. I honestly don't know and that's something that I'm trying to decide myself. I have 3 options. Go with one 1 175 watt unit and try and make it cover the whole tank. Second I could try to keep one pendant but upgrade it to a 250 watt to get more punch and raise the fixture up to get larger coverage. Thirdly I could run 2 pendants with a 175 watt each and that is probably what I'm going to end up doing. even if my tank doesn't have a center brace that would make a single fixture an issue, I think the large reflectors would give me much less shadowing with two pendants. Much better fill. But your question is something I'm considering as well.

That's cool. Seems we're both considering similar options.

I'm leaning towards getting a single 250W and just raise it up a bit.

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I'm seriously considering that as well especially since my new tank won't have a center brace. The other question is to dual temp or not. My twin-arc wants to start in 20k every morning so I have it sent to flip twice during the day. So I start at 20k for two hours, then switch to 10k for two hours, then drop back to 20k for the last 3 hours before the halide's go off. I've heard that 10k will give better growth but I don't like the super green yellow look. So I'm tempted to switch to bulbs that only have one color temp.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah I'm seriously considering that as well especially since my new tank won't have a center brace. The other question is to dual temp or not. My twin-arc wants to start in 20k every morning so I have it sent to flip twice during the day. So I start at 20k for two hours, then switch to 10k for two hours, then drop back to 20k for the last 3 hours before the halide's go off. I've heard that 10k will give better growth but I don't like the super green yellow look. So I'm tempted to switch to bulbs that only have one color temp.
I'm with you on not liking the whole yellow/green look. I'm probably going to run the LED's for about 12 hours and the MH for 4-6 @ 20K. At least that's my current plan if I pick one up.

Was just thinking, maybe @Reefbrite might chime in on this. :D

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you on not liking the whole yellow/green look. I'm probably going to run the LED's for about 12 hours and the MH for 4-6 @ 20K. At least that's my current plan if I pick one up.

I did get a reply but it was in email and not for me to post and unique to my setup. I'd email them and they'll probably write you back with exact advise for your setup. Also something very very interesting article but if you want the gist jump to the last two paragraphs.

http://www.reefbrite.com/the-color-of-light/

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No worries about thread jacking at all. Please go ahead... :D
I can already say that you kinda answered your own question.
Darker ends and low light corals.
BUT... I keep only zoas and like my tank all taken by the light. If I had a 36" long I would like a 36" long fixture or 2 pendants.
Low light corals will have to do with the wattage for the ballast/bulbs, not much with the fixture IMO.
If you would like to keep the rocks and corals in one side or in the middle of the tank, one pendant would be great. And you still could put some of the less light loving corals around.
You could also go with a higher wattage and bring the pendant higher from the surface to spread without absolutely any problems.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's why I mentioned the more reflection area. The larger extra reflector area in the middle).
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry I didn't see all the posts ... Yeah, that's it man!!
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to like the 10K look and had 6500K back in the day. My taste is changing and I just love the 20K bulbs now.
I still like the 10Ks with actinic blue T5s though. Halide is a dream!!
+1 for ReefBrite to show up. This is their thread!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Have a blessed time with your families and friends.
Aloha,
Grandis.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving!

Reefbrite pendants have been selling.... I purchased three this morning! Ballasts went on sale as well, a nice added bonus!

This will be my first attempt with MH lighting. I need to decide on bulbs now.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving!

Reefbrite pendants have been selling.... I purchased three this morning! Ballasts went on sale as well, a nice added bonus!

This will be my first attempt with MH lighting. I need to decide on bulbs now.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
What wattage did you get?
Radiums for 250W or 400W, I would use...
I heard many good things about the Giesemann bulbs too.
Or... maybe the Reef Brite 20K?
Enjoy halides! :D
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's why I mentioned the more reflection area. The larger extra reflector area in the middle).
Grandis.
I was in a hurry posting yesterday and apologize.
My bad!
I was thinking of Hamilton Cebu.
Cebu%20Sun%20System-600x600.jpg

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=277

There is no extra reflector area on the ReefBrite 36".
210604_reefbrite_mh_mogul_pendant_250w_36-ps.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/36-250w-se-metal-halide-pendant-reef-brite.html

Today is the day to decide what to get! ;Wideyed
Spectra, Cebu, or Reef Brite?
And...
Forget what the doctor said!
Today we can eat anything we want! Haha!!!
Enjoy your good food!!
Grandis.

Last edited:

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
What wattage did you get?
Radiums for 250W or 400W, I would use...
I heard many good things about the Giesemann bulbs too.
Or... maybe the Reef Brite 20K?
Enjoy halides! :D
Grandis.

I have a standard 180 so I purchased 3 SE pendants with their 250 ballasts... I'm thinking that the 14k twinarc bulbs will compliment the blue xho's nicely. I would seriously consider the Reefbrites. I spoke with Joy yesterday and the fixtures/ballasts/twinarcs use less electricity and run cooler than anything out there currently. I guess we'll see if those claims are true soon enough :)

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180 so I purchased 3 SE pendants with their 250 ballasts... I'm thinking that the 14k twinarc bulbs will compliment the blue xho's nicely. I would seriously consider the Reefbrites. I spoke with Joy yesterday and the fixtures/ballasts/twinarcs use less electricity and run cooler than anything out there currently. I guess we'll see if those claims are true soon enough :)
If I had to get a halide fixture today I would be choosing the Giesemann Spectra, Hamilton Cebu, or the Reef Brite 15" pendants with T5 retros.

I just got 2 of their Supra Slim Line Single:
210972-reefbrite-supra-slimline-24-a.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/supra-slim-line-single-t5-retrofit-fixture-reef-brite.html

I've got old halide pendants and would use these T5 as a supplementation for the dusk in the future.
They look really neat and well built. They can also be hang from the ceiling, if we want.

Yesterday I got my old 250W PFO MH ballast from the attic, cleaned and tried out with some old bulbs.
I'm seriously thinking of setting up a new system some time next year.
I need more room in the house! LOL!
Grandis.

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can speak a bit to that. I have one SE RB pendant with the XHOs 12 inches above my biocube. Granted that's with the 175 watt setup but it doesn't raise my tank temperature or room temp at all. Several days I've laughed right after the halides go off and I look at the temperature and ask myself what's all the hub ub about heat and chillers about.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back