Reef Brite halide system users.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by A. grandis, Nov 17, 2017.

1. A. grandis

A. grandis Well-Known Member

84"L X 24"W X 30"T, Marineland 265 gal. tank!
    All Radium bulbs: 2 X 400W and 4 X 250W!

Grandis.

2. DSC reef

DSC reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'm really leaning towards the reef brite system over the hamilton. Tough decisions.

3. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

T5 goes so well with halide though... you can always add reefbrites to the hamilton

DSC reef likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

My thoughts exactly!

5. Breadman03

Breadman03 Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member

I might be doing just that.

6. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

I’d also recommend skipping the reefbrites and going with something cheap let like the reefbreeder lumenbars or the sb bars

DSC reef likes this.
  7. tgbaby

tgbaby Member

Well I’ve almost convinced myself to go back the MH. Currently running a 10 x 39w ATI Powermodule over a 48 x 30 x 20 SPS dominant tank. While I can’t complain about growth or color, I find the look somewhat lifeless. I was originally going to get a 48” Spectra but this thread has me leaning toward the Reefbrite hybrid.

My question is which fixture(s) should I run, 2x15” or 1x36”?

8. mlb7225

mlb7225 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I just went to pull they trigger and they are sold out now. Did you end up getting it?

9. wattson

wattson Well-Known Member

Curious what are opinions on a. Ballast that is one wattage verses a ballast that is has multiple wattage settings like the Luxcore selectable wattage ballast

10. wattson

wattson Well-Known Member

Curious to know opinions on getting a ballast that is a fixed wattage verses a ballast like the Luxcore selectable wattage ballast ...what's the pros and cons of each ..
    Also,what is better bulb ,,mogul verses double end bulbs ?

11. A. grandis

I was really suffering with all those questions in my mind and I was hoping Reef Brite would come to answer more questions to all of us before the black friday! My decision was mainly based on the heat of my living room and also because I still have some of my old halide systems, like pendants and PFO ballast, in case I don't like the Reef Brites.
    Like I've said before, I didn't go with the LEDs but got the T5 retros and will use them for the dusk. My canopy will be very open and will fix them on the wood with a home made disconnector. The halides will be hanged from the ceiling with their hanging kits. I can aways change my T5s and have the way I want accordingly to the halides. That's a must for me too!
    I'm glad I got them. Hope it is really what they say it is.
    I might get 2 of those Luxcore 250 also in case I don't like the Reef Brites and want to use my old awesome fixtures from back in the day.
    Grandis.

12. A. grandis

Depends... if you go with the Reef Brite for the cool operation and the microprocessor/ dimmer feature you'll most likely have to get their fixture because of the wire fittings. I think we need to appreciate the fact that there is a MH system that actually have all that technology. If it can be used with Radiums, I'm in!

The Luxcore can be used with most of the other fixture available today and will have multiple bulb wattage options at the same time. It's an electronic ballast as well and should run cool.

I like mogul bulbs. The DE bulbs are more fragile to handle, brake their ends easily when installing them, and need more attention while handling/ operating. The Giesemann Infinity (DE) will be a great fixture in regards to their bulb fittings and less probability of braking it when installing, I heard. Giesemann is probably the best fixture ever IMO, but they get hot and are more expensive! If I had air conditioner 24/7 or didn't have to worry about the heat during summer time here I would get a Spectra. Would be so great to have a Reef Brite 48" with 4 T5s!!!! I think that would be a dream fixture!
    Up to you...
    Anyone else with nice tips/ pics of their Reef Brite halide tanks?
    Some times I forget this is supposed to be the Reef Brite thread. :)
    Grandis.

13. A. grandis

I would get 2 pendants for it's flexibility.
    Grandis.

14. Breadman03

Breadman03 Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member

I would also go with two. That would make it easy to grab a third for an upgrade, sell one if you go smaller, and open up your market if you decide to sell them off.

A. grandis likes this.
  15. Waboss

Waboss Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I ended up not trying. haha! I figured the coverage wouldn't be what I needed. So I'm back to seeing what will work right on a 36" tank.

16. mlb7225

I am looking for a light for 36" as well. Spoke to BRS and they said the 15" RB with 250w MH would be good. I have been trying to find a pic of someone doing this already.

17. KJoFan

KJoFan Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

This is mine on a 32" tank. Not the 36" you're seeking a pic of but maybe it has some value to you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mlb7225

Awesome, exactly what I am looking for. I'm looking at the Reefer 250 which is 35.5" How are you liking the light? Is that a 250w MH?

A. grandis and DSC reef like this.
  19. KJoFan

KJoFan Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

I love it. You can see I had sps to the edges of the tank and they were getting plenty of light. I don't know your tank/coral goals but I think you'd be able to grow anything even in a 36" tank.

It is the 250w MH w/ the RB led strips and I really couldn't be happier. I wanted a "set it and forget it" light fixture and that's what I got. You can't go wrong, IMO.

Unfortunately, I can't comment long term on sps growth/health as I mostly had frags for several months until AEFW kind of wiped them out. But, they were doing fantastic up until then for several months. Now, since I'm in the re-building phase regarding corals, I'm upgrading to a 150g 5' tank. I picked up a second 15" fixture from BRS for it and have zero concerns it will be adequate.

DSC reef and mlb7225 like this.
  20. mlb7225

Awesome, your response and reviews on the RB fixture, I am sold! Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted