Reef Brite XHO Power Supply Question

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've been able to establish that while my unit is still working the power supply needs to be replaced.

The unit is 72" and so should run on the 120v unit. I'm not splitting it nor dimming it, can I use a back up 48" (90v) unit I have on hand? My options seem to be limited and another 120v unit I tried on Amazon doesn't have the right sized connector. When I try the 90v power supply the light fires right up. Naturally I don't want to do any long term damage to the light.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt, but that's what I'm trying ascertain. I'm not an electrical engineer, just looking for a stop gap measure with something I have on hand until a reputable dealer has the 120v back in stock.
Well, it will probably work until it doesn't. If you're running the light <75% you should be ok (not an electrical engineer either, so take that with a grain of salt).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt, but that's what I'm trying ascertain. I'm not an electrical engineer, just looking for a stop gap measure with something I have on hand until a reputable dealer has the 120v back in stock.
What exactly does it say on the power supply?

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My question is moot, I was able to find an exact replacement from the good folks of Premium Aquatics in Indiana.

If there is an electrical engineer in the audience I’m curious about the effects of different wattage power supply on units generally.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is moot, I was able to find an exact replacement from the good folks of Premium Aquatics in Indiana.

If there is an electrical engineer in the audience I’m curious about the effects of different wattage power supply on units generally.
Kind of the wrong question depending on how the leds are driven.
Anyways if the leds are driven at constant voltage only thing you need to be concerned with is too little current
AND the wrong voltage.

Then they usually aren't as bright as designed.
If driven at constant current..well speaks for itself.

Don't need an electrical engineer really.. :)
Well not for the simple stuff.

For posterity, what does it say on the power supply for "output"?

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@oreo54

Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 2.5A
Output: 24V = 5A

I've been reading around on some relevant r2r links. I know you can both daisy chain lights and add inline dimmers. For the daisy chain applications it seems you need a bigger power source to run several smaller lights... that'd make sense. For the inline dimmer it's just plug and play.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oreo54

Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 2.5A
Output: 24V = 5A

I've been reading around on some relevant r2r links. I know you can both daisy chain lights and add inline dimmers. For the daisy chain applications it seems you need a bigger power source to run several smaller lights... that'd make sense. For the inline dimmer it's just plug and play.
Thanks.
As well as in line dimmers one can do fun stuff like add Alexa..

6a per channel but max 15a.
360 watts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back