Reef & Coral Safe CUC

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Expert,

New to reefing and was wondering if anyone came across any good list of CUC to avoid in a Mixed and Coral dominant reef tank?

Sharing my personal experience:
1. A few months ago my son bought 2 beautiful sea stars (a Red Knob and a Chocolate Chip) after confirming with the LSF that it is reef safe -- we should have done our research also. To our horror both were caught eating corals after a few weeks in the tank... fortunately, we could transfer them to our other fish dominant tank.
Star.jpg

2. Cowrie snails are cool looking.. so bought a big brown (believe is the arabian cowrie) and 2 small greyish brown (not able to id yet), as usual we checked with LSF and he said only tiger cowrie is not reef safe -- again, should have done my research first. After a few months in the tank i saw it munching on a RFA (by the time I noticed it ate almost 70% of RFA). Now he is in my sump. Been monitoring the 2 smaller cowries and looks like they are more interested on the algae (at least for not)... not sure if I should trow them into the sump as well?
Cowrie.jpg

InkedCowrie S_LI.jpg

Based on some reading came to know that nudis could possibly be harmful to corals so, I am staying away from adding them in to thank.

Are there other CUC that know to be not coral safe?

Thanks.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there is a lot of them. I have cerithiums, neriths, trochus snails, strombus snails, nassarius snails, bumblebee snails, hermits crabs and brittlestars and have had no negative experiences with them. All of them seem to be really hardworkers keeping my rocks and sand clean. Red knob stars are definitely not reef safe, but if you want a starfish, I suggest you to take a look at fromia stars. These might be OK (but no my personal experiences).

————-

Edit: sorry, now I see you are asking for NOT reef safe CUC. :) As mentioned above, I only have bad experiences with red knobs.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there is a lot of them. I have cerithiums, neriths, trochus snails, strombus snails, nassarius snails, bumblebee snails, hermits crabs and brittlestars and have had no negative experiences with them. All of them seem to be really hardworkers keeping my rocks and sand clean. Red knob stars are definitely not reef safe, but if you want a starfish, I suggest you to take a look at fromia stars. These might be OK (but no my personal experiences).

————-

Edit: sorry, now I see you are asking for NOT reef safe CUC. :) As mentioned above, I only have bad experiences with red knobs.
I love your signature.

Back