Reef Dreamin’: What would your dream monster tank look like?

What would your dream monster tank look like?

• It would be really, really big

Votes: 123 28.3%
  • It would be jammed with corals

Votes: 144 33.1%
  • It would be filled with fish

Votes: 104 23.9%
  • I would try to duplicate a slice of a natural reef

Votes: 179 41.1%
  • I’m focused on what my tank looks like no matter the size

Votes: 119 27.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Dreamin’: What would your dream monster tank look like?

In your Christmas dream…you know the one with sugar plum fairies dancing and images of monster reef tanks floating in your head – what does it look like? The reef tank, not the sugar plum fairies. :oops: Would it require scuba gear for maintenance? Would it be a FOWLR tank or wall-to-wall corals? Would it look more like a lagoon or even a full-size swimming pool with a reef? What does that monster tank in your imagination look like? Let us know about your big reef dreams in the thread below!

WWClagoon.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd want the tunnel part from the Atlanta Aquarium. I'm always fascinated every time I see that part of the aquarium
I like the coral reef part that has the water dumping out every few minutes like waves! And then kf course the big part with the whale sharks! (well looks like it's time to go back again to the Georgia aquarium!)

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the coral reef part that has the water dumping out every few minutes like waves! And then kf course the big part with the whale sharks! (well looks like it's time to go back again to the Georgia aquarium!)
The coral reef part was always one of my favorite parts as well. I haven't been in the past couple of years either but I love being able to go to that aquarium any chance I get!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I’ve done the natural reef, drop off tank twice, fish only and even bare bottom
Still like a tank full of fish with coral and once you do big tank, it’s hard to go smaller

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a large room divider drop off. That way I can have a true reef crest, wall, and lagoon. Ideally the back side of the lagoon would go into mangroves as well. My anthias and fairy wrasses would be super pleased with an actual reef wall to hover around over. Would also allow me to appropriately place corals rather than just "finding a suitable spot" like I have to do in my current tank.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much have my dream tank. just need more fish and coral. Oh, dream to find a way to catch the 6 dang Damsels and get them out haha

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After having a "bigger tank" an almost 400g tank, I would have to say that bigger can be overrated. It was for me. But it's like anything in life. You generally want what you don't have. Have a little tank you want a big tank. Have a big tank you want a smaller tank for ease etc.. But in regards to the question at hand, sad to say, I don't want a BIG tank anymore. Although my small tank might be someones bigger tank. So my big tank now looks like a tank around 200g, peninsula, less rock but made with shelves and islands and chalked full of flowing corals. :)

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about this a lot...

The 10 foot tank I had was great and maybe going a few feet longer and two deeper and one taller might have been optimal.

Also, I think it would need to be built in such a way that all the automation and equipment required to be fully self sufficient (top off / auto change water / etc...) had dedicated space and not just in the laundry room.

I think I was at about 70% automated, if I could get to around 90% and really just need to worry about small things I'd be happy and do it again. Just even little things like overflows needing frequent adjustments would drive me nuts.

Maybe why I want to start with a small tank next :p

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral reef part was always one of my favorite parts as well. I haven't been in the past couple of years either but I love being able to go to that aquarium any chance I get!

I wish Santa could bring me 2-3 random pick fish from georgia aquarium lol
I'm far from this segment.. but working in a place like this might be really cool.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it bad when I’m considering a fiberglass tank…..
Nope. stayed away from them for 3 decades and came to find- I waited for nothing- Love them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back