Reef energy dosing location

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious about the dosing location for red seas reef energy. I was planning on building an automated dosing setup for the additives.
Using a small refrigerator to keep the liquid cold and a Dos pump to dose the liquid and then reverse to remove any remaining liquids in the tubing.
My question is can I dose the liquids to the sump or do they have to be directly dosed into the Display tank.
My return pump splits at a manifold so water returns to the tank as well as feeds my reactors. I was concerned if I dose in the sump the reef energy would be filtered out by my carbon reactor. Any recommendations?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allegedly, you're supposed to turn off the skimmer and dose the the main tank. This should maximize absorption by the animals in the tank.

If you dose right new the return pump suction, it would pump the additives into the main tank.

I'm sure the carbon probably removes some of the aminos and carbohydrates (as does my skimmer). However, I don't dose daily but rather 2-3 times per week directly to the display tank. It appears that the animals are benefiting from manual addition to the main tank.

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allegedly, you're supposed to turn off the skimmer and dose the the main tank. This should maximize absorption by the animals in the tank.

If you dose right new the return pump suction, it would pump the additives into the main tank.

I'm sure the carbon probably removes some of the aminos and carbohydrates (as does my skimmer). However, I don't dose daily but rather 2-3 times per week directly to the display tank. It appears that the animals are benefiting from manual addition to the main tank.

The skimmer is not an issue I can just code the apex to turn it off for a few hours when the DOS runs via apex. My return is Tee’d so some water will go into the reactor lines for sure. It will also feed my frag tank.

Vyzq8WM.jpg

If the additives must be added to the DT then I’ll have to design a smaller fridge to fit in the DT cabinet since my entire sump is in the basement.

I Would love to dose manually however the way my work schedule is I wouldn’t be able to keep up consistency

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is not an issue I can just code the apex to turn it off for a few hours when the DOS runs via apex. My return is Tee’d so some water will go into the reactor lines for sure. It will also feed my frag tank.

Vyzq8WM.jpg

If the additives must be added to the DT then I’ll have to design a smaller fridge to fit in the DT cabinet since my entire sump is in the basement.
I'll also admit that I'm a bit naughty...I have never refrigerated my Reef Energy A/B bottles ;Nailbiting

I hear there is a new formulation coming out that doesn't require refrigeration. Maybe you should consider that?

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also admit that I'm a bit naughty...I have never refrigerated my Reef Energy A/B bottles ;Nailbiting

I hear there is a new formulation coming out that doesn't require refrigeration. Maybe you should consider that?

haha I’ve heard plenty of people not refrigerating. I had one bottle not refrigerated years ago and when I opened it, the smell of pure death came out. So I figured that wouldn’t be good for the tank

If they removed the refrigeration part that would def make my life easier and cheaper.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I’ve heard plenty of people not refrigerating. I had one bottle not refrigerated years ago and when I opened it, the smell of pure death came out. So I figured that wouldn’t be good for the tank

If they removed the refrigeration part that would def make my life easier and cheaper.
Another option might be to try a product like Quantum Bio-Enhance. It provides both carbohydrates and aminos without the refrigeration requirement.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally add it to the last section in my sump with my return pump. This way as it goes through the return nozzles it gets broadcast fed/blasted throughout the entire tank especially as my powerhead picks it up and helps. I have a 3100gph return pump I run at 75 percent in my 120 so it really goes everywhere. My tank ends up looking like phytoplankton water, not that green, but it gets everywhere.

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option might be to try a product like Quantum Bio-Enhance. It provides both carbohydrates and aminos without the refrigeration requirement.

Yeah I was reading about other products. Acropower was one of them, however, I am running an entire Red Sea dosing line up. So I wanted to keep it in the same company.

I personally add it to the last section in my sump with my return pump. This way as it goes through the return nozzles it gets broadcast fed/blasted throughout the entire tank especially as my powerhead picks it up and helps. I have a 3100gph return pump I run at 75 percent in my 120 so it really goes everywhere. My tank ends up looking like phytoplankton water, not that green, but it gets everywhere.

Is your return pump feeding any filter media reactors?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually considering a trial of Quantum Bio-Enhance product once my Reef Energy A/B supplements run out. I like the all-in-one approach that would allow me to dose that product plus the coral colors supplements with only one more dosing pump (and no refrigeration).

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was reading about other products. Acropower was one of them, however, I am running an entire Red Sea dosing line up. So I wanted to keep it in the same company.

Is your return pump feeding any filter media reactors?

I had a gfo reactor attached to it when I first got it, the pump was too strong at the setting I had it at for the gfo to be really effective.(slower tumble = better I learned) So yes I have had one before, but not currently attached to the pump. Im still running GFO and carbon and my water still gets green using my method. I dose 4ml off the top of my head or whatever 2 pretty much full plastic "syringes" are. I also mix my part A/B(it says you can)
My sump set up is first slot, sock,next slot is carbon(bags), next slot is GFO reactor in, next slot is return pump and GFO reactor out. So when I put it into the last slot, there is not way it really get used up by my gfo/carbon at my flow rate. Maybe if I had a lower flow rate I would worry, but I dont. :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your supposed to refrigerate them??? :) I never did either. Didn’t use it but a few bottles a few times but never noticed a funny smell or anything so that’s good!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your supposed to refrigerate them??? :) I never did either. Didn’t use it but a few bottles a few times but never noticed a funny smell or anything so that’s good!
Yup. Right there on the label.

My Reef Energy B smells a little funny, but the corals don't seem to mind :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the brightwell stuff is only one specific amino if I remember correctly. I used it before when I had no readable nutrients but I like the a and b a lot more for the same purpose. Honestly none of its needed if I feed well but nice to have something on hand when I get lazy or busy.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only location I found good for Reef Engery was the trash. Caused too many issues with algae, cyano and dinos.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back