Reef flare pro moonlighting or any equivalent LED

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayadog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayadog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2025
Messages
1,252
Reaction score
1,162
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“When I first started years ago… been a minute, etc.” … I did a “nano upgrade” recently (20long->55long). Nano because 55 still feels small and the long doesn’t help. Regardless… I had a t5 fixture but decided I wanted to try these new fangled LEDs.

Is any typical reef quality LED nowadays suitable for moonlighting? I.e. does it suffice to open my reef flare app (smartreef360) and add severely dim blue spectrum-only time points outside of daytime photoperiod(s)? <-just a jumping off point. Would that be a general idea of how it’s done? I did find, elsewhere, a dim as heck white light spectrum might be used? Is this how it’s done nowadays without a separate fixture?

My old t5s had a 4diode box between each pair of t5 bulbs. I would like to replicate that for viewing purposes while not resorting back to that fixture. I’m not concerned about moon cycles or spawning for right now, I just want to see some weird night life again.
 
Most common led lights with moonlights are blue, at 10% or less power. Kessil has the option red or blue, and i find red to be the most useful, cause apparently fish can't see in the red spectrum.
For me the blues are a but too bright. The ap9x also has a moon cycle, so it varies the brightness, to include a new moon with 0 light. The ai prime(16hd) has the same.
 
Thanks for the reply! I’ll do what I do at work and ask a question but also research it myself. I guess I’m curious more about the low level blue light. Is it enough for zooxanthellae to photosynthesize or do they have a rest period during prolonged low levels of light. I guess what I’m wondering and will go look up is: do they need to “turn off” in the home aquaria to get a break and release free radicals or ramp up respiration or anything like that?

I am stupid because I didn’t even think of using red light. I use a red headlamp to check on my tank before lights pop on. I had tunnel vision from a previous blue led moonlight my t5s had. Thanks again! I’m going to look into the programs for those lights!
 
Chillax bruh, you're not stupid. Otherwise youd be asking why your goldfish keep dying when you throw them into the reef tank... must be somekind of disease...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new