Status
Not open for further replies.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's time to leave here........it's becoming more and more like Facebook than a reef forum.
Too much squabbling between people, people actually try to drag you into an argument.

Links from other threads inserted into newer threads should not be allowed as it doesn't pertain to the current thread. Most are then taken out of context. I'm talking about things people say being used against them in another thread. People looking to get that like button hit for their ego and trying to undercut someone's integrity.

There's so much bad information being tossed around that when someone does need a little advice they find hundreds of different solutions. Most wrong , some right, but the person asking has no idea which way to turn.

There are a lot of well informed people on here that help so much. Unfortunately most on here are looking to have their opinions heard at any cost. It wouldn't bother me one bit if they took the like button away entirely.
Only the people that want to actually help will post then. All the ones that live for the like button would fall to the wayside.

I know this is a social media site, but it shouldn't be. It should be about what it was started for. Good honest information about the reefing hobby to share and help.

I'm remember back in the early days of reefing. People would share information on how to do things with no ill feelings arguing, etc.

Nowadays it's all about the quick easy fix to a solution instead of patience and learning how to do things right.

It's taken me about 4 years to get my tank right after a long hiatus from the hobby. I looked to R2R for much of my advice. But I read and read and read instead of asking for advice. I knew most of the advice I asked for was going to be wrong. I figured things out by trial and error and by picking through what was bad info and what was good.
I learned which people I could depend on and which ones not to.

So thanks to R2R for that help with my success. I certainly did learn much here. It's just all the stuff that comes with it that leaves a bad taste.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you already had that this place pegged as being no good from the get go.
"I read and read and read instead of asking for advice. I knew most of the advice I asked for was going to be wrong. I figured things out by trial and error and by picking through what was bad info and what was good.
I learned which people I could depend on and which ones not to."

Sounds like maybe you should have asked. The cast amount of info on here can make a sane person go insane.

I feel that R2R is a great place and community for us reef keepers.

Obviously, your rightfully entitled to your opinion.

Hope you have a great day.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is directed at a very specific set of people whom argue here often. I could very well be wrong but... i do get it. It is up to people to rely on research when making a decision. I can think of a few messages when I asked about dinos, was even questioned if I was ready to even take care of coral lol. Ultimately I used my own brain to make a decision on how to approach it. I got several types of advice. Mostly all good advice . It is a helpful place to get ideas

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm taking things wrong, but this is what I'm talking about. People telling you what you should be thinking and how to act. Forcing their opinion. Trying to make someone look bad and wrong. I don't need this. I'm a grown man that made it to ripe old age of 65. I've learned a lot in my life., especially about people. I chose to read and read instead of asking because of all the bad info being thrown around on forums like this. This makes me a bad person and wrong? I don't need this.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to take it all with a grain of salt, there will always be fish stores that give conflicting information, and R2R isn't much different as it's a community driven by the people.
One thing that bothers me is when these bot like accounts find every new R2R thread from the years prior welcoming members who (in some cases) haven't even been online in months.
Just for a welcome badge I guess? Idk clogs things up
1634131001503.jpeg

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked to R2R for much of my advice. But I read and read and read instead of asking for advice. I knew most of the advice I asked for was going to be wrong.
I think that's what all of us are still doing. We share our experiences and knowledge to help each other, not for likes.

You "read and read" instead of asking for advice — if no one asked for advice, this forum would be dead. I feel we share and share alike as a community, researching conflicting advice and sharing our results and experience. I'm not sure why you would have a problem with people reacting to a post. It serves a purpose.

I actually joined a bunch of reefing Facebook groups before joining R2R, and they were largely unhelpful with loads of bad advice. I barely even go on fb now since becoming active here.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared to most online groups I think that the amount of arguing back and forth on this forum is fairly mild. The mods in my opinion do a good job of limiting any kind of personal attacks.

The like button is a necessary evil of the forum. You mentioned new reefers not knowing what information to trust when they ask a question, but in my opinion the like button helps add credibility to any specific person's response. As for people giving wrong information, it is unfortunately going to happen when you ask a question to a large public group. All information given online should just be used as a starting point for research for the person who asked the question, instead of just being taken at face value IMO.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately on an internet forum you’re going to get a lot of opinions from a lot of people with varying degrees of experience and knowledge. If that’s not what you want, then there are books, published studies, and things like that. If you knew that most the information you would receive here would be bad, then it sounds like you knew what you were signing up for. If you have a particular gripe with someone that pointed out a contradiction you made, then I don’t think it was necessary for them to do that, or for you to start this thread. You pick through the good and bad info, like you said. Try to verify things that you’re told. Nah nah none of what you hear. But what information does this thread provide? Complaining about the forum on the forum is just social media.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Society today is for better or worse, much different than it was 20, 30 years ago.

I have seen very little squabbling, lots of conflicting opinions, lots of wrong ones, but as more experiments and experience take place, less is cut and dry.

The more we learn, the less we know.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Society today is for better or worse, much different than it was 20, 30 years ago.

I have seen very little squabbling, lots of conflicting opinions, lots of wrong ones, but as more experiments and experience take place, less is cut and dry.

The more we learn, the less we know.
Society has changed because of the ease of sharing information, which obviously has its ups and downs. When I first started in this hobby everything I knew had to come from someone at the lfs, from a book, or my own trial and error. Being able to find answers to questions, even if you have to wade through the bad answers, is a life saver.

It's the people who know the least that think they know the most, because they don't know enough to know they don't know very much (wow that's a lot of knows in one sentence). I believe this is the bases of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it! Is it really that hard for people to understand what I wrote and that I'm still not looking for advice or help with this? I'll pick through all that respond and decipher what's relevant and what's not. I vented. I didn't ask for help. There's some that will agree and others won't. Then there's the others that will tell you why your wrong and why your wrong. Y'all just comfirming things I wrote.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it! Is it really that hard for people to understand what I wrote and that I'm still not looking for advice or help with this? I'll pick through all that respond and decipher what's relevant and what's not. I vented. I didn't ask for help. There's some that will agree and others won't. Then there's the others that will tell you why your wrong and why your wrong. Y'all just comfirming things I wrote.
Teddy Bear Hug GIF

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there you have it - that’s social media!

How you respond is totally up to you!!!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally enjoy the forum. The “like” button is what it is. Doesn’t affect me one bit. That said, I totally get where your coming from. There are people I’ve put on ignore here due to the information or lack there of they give in threads. There’s others, some with several thousand posts, that seem to just post to a thread with complete misinformation that’s usually taken by the OP as a good word due to post count.

That said, it seemed back in the day, your information came from people who had read, X book or Y authors book series. Now, good luck trying to find those books without a bunch of other things popping up in between.

Unfortunately, everyone is going to post from their own experience and as mentioned above:
It's the people who know the least that think they know the most, because they don't know enough to know they don't know very much (wow that's a lot of knows in one sentence). I believe this is the bases of the Dunning-Kruger effect.”

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious what the point of the thread was if it is wrong for others to share responses? I don't see toxicity on this thread, but that is just my own opinion and apparently should not be shared here because it confirms the toxicity of R2R.

I am genuinely confused how this thread can be of any help if there is no discussion about how to alleviate the issue?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally enjoy the forum. The “like” button is what it is. Doesn’t affect me one bit. That said, I totally get where your coming from. There are people I’ve put on ignore here due to the information or lack there of they give in threads. There’s others, some with several thousand posts, that seem to just post to a thread with complete misinformation that’s usually taken by the OP as a good word due to post count.

That said, it seemed back in the day, your information came from people who had read, X book or Y authors book series. Now, good luck trying to find those books without a bunch of other things popping up in between.

Unfortunately, everyone is going to post from their own experience and as mentioned above:
It's the people who know the least that think they know the most, because they don't know enough to know they don't know very much (wow that's a lot of knows in one sentence). I believe this is the bases of the Dunning-Kruger effect.”
You hit the nail on the head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back