Reef moonshiners program

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only purchased what I needed at the beginning. So send in your ATI test, get the results and go by the recommended shopping list and go from there. You can buy the Iodide, potassium, calcium, strontium ahead of time and mix them yourself. I only purchased what I needed from Andre (minus the brightwell stuff) and it was less than $300. Don't buy what you don't need. The dailies are needed, manganese, chromium, cobalt, iron, vanadium, iodide (and rubidium if you want?) Zinc and Nickel will last you a very long time.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I only purchased what I needed at the beginning. So send in your ATI test, get the results and go by the recommended shopping list and go from there. You can buy the Iodide, potassium, calcium, strontium ahead of time and mix them yourself. I only purchased what I needed from Andre (minus the brightwell stuff) and it was less than $300. Don't buy what you don't need. The dailies are needed, manganese, chromium, cobalt, iron, vanadium, iodide (and rubidium if you want?) Zinc and Nickel will last you a very long time.
this is exactly what i did. haven't had any issues and i always have what i need!

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great idea!! Thanks

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if someone can help me with a conversion. I have a 1L bottle of Triton Flouride I would love to not just throw away, but there seems to be very little out there about the concentration. Been doing RM for a few months now and seeing great results, any help would be appreciated. Thx!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wondering if someone can help me with a conversion. I have a 1L bottle of Triton Flouride I would love to not just throw away, but there seems to be very little out there about the concentration. Been doing RM for a few months now and seeing great results, any help would be appreciated. Thx!
@PSXerholic

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Join the FB group and post your question there, you'll get more responses, as that's where most followers are located/following.

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does triton give you dosing instructions on raising x for y liters? I doubt Andre has a conversion but one never knows.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PSXerholic been on the program about 6 months now, with 5 icp tests, everything is good i have been following instructions to a T. Started liquid mud and vitaminx at around month 4

With elevated potassium and needing to boost iodine a few points what do you recommend over using the seachem reef iodide to not raise potassium any further?

Is there even a potassium free iodide?

Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PSXerholic been on the program about 6 months now, with 5 icp tests, everything is good i have been following instructions to a T. Started liquid mud and vitaminx at around month 4

With elevated potassium and needing to boost iodine a few points what do you recommend over using the seachem reef iodide to not raise potassium any further?

Is there even a potassium free iodide?

Thank you

I cannot see KI having any substantial impact on potassium. Even if you dosed the whole NSW level of iodine every day, that is only adding 0.009 ppm of potassium every day. That’s 3 ppm per year even with no water changes to lower it.

of course, sodium iodide is also fine to dose.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got my first ICP test back and have ordered the appropriate corrective measures for the Moonshiner method. After receiving the elements needed (mine shortfalls were all over the place), today is the first day after using the correcting measures of doing the daily dosing. I can already see a RR Goldenrod responding very well, as well as a JF Vino Monti with some colors that I have never seen, and its only been less than a week. I have been told for a while that many successful SPS reefers use this method and I am super excited to see this through. TY @Biggestfish

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 some years of reefkeeping I am going to reef moonshiners!
It’s good to use brs calcium, mag and alk to keep those where they need to be until I test and use the brightwell to adjust correct?
I have found brs powder that I put in a jug with rodi waterto be easy unless someone has another suggestion.
I dose those just like normal plus whatever else I need after the Ati icp correct?
I have read the handbook twice just wanting to be clear.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s good to use brs calcium, mag and alk to keep those where they need to be until I test and use the brightwell to adjust correct?
I have found brs powder that I put in a jug with rodi waterto be easy unless someone has another suggestion.
I dose those just like normal plus whatever else I need after the Ati icp correct?

Just stick to using BRS. You don’t need to use Brightwell for the big three.

I ran RM for over 2 years using BRS additives

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I do, and use ! Im sticking with the brs alk cal and mag, but i also use the balling part C, So far so good! It was confusing at first even doing icp tests, but after the 3rd month or so it seems to make more sense and it's not as complicated as I was making it in my head. And the cost once everything is purchased is not to bad but it is a little expensive, I go through fluorine the most so with the first order I should have gotten several of those I've had to make another order just for that and bromine, but so far it seems to be working great or not hurting at all, I'm not 100% sure which yet:)

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will put alk cal and mag on a doser.
Do people buy dosers for all of them or just quickly dose from the bottle?
is it easier to just dose from the bottle?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The monthly corrections are easily done from the bottles with a graduated cylinder or something for measuring volume.

And the dailys are great in a eye dropper!

Attachments

• 20230323_162416.jpg
    20230323_162416.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 28

Charless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone. I just started the moonshine method (3) days ago. I had some major issues with my first test. I was all over the place with my numbers. But after a few emails and sharing my ATI test with @PSXerholic, I am well on my way to recovery. I am about to send off for my 2nd ATI test and expect great improvement from the 1st test. Acro’s have started to make a recovery from a color standpoint. Looking forward to the continued success. Will keep everyone posted. And thank you @Biggestfish for helping with my questions as well and I look forward to receiving my frag pack soon.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will put alk cal and mag on a doser.

Alkalinity and calcium on a doser. Magnesium doesn’t need to be added daily so just add by hand when testing says so.

Even on RM I never had to dose magnesium. I ran Tropic Marin Part C in conjunction with BRS 2 part and mag always stayed spot on for me.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity and calcium on a doser. Magnesium doesn’t need to be added daily so just add by hand when testing says so.

Even on RM I never had to dose magnesium. I ran Tropic Marin Part C in conjunction with BRS 2 part and mag always stayed spot on for me.
Thats because part C is in a mag solution right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back