Reef moonshiners program

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to buy Excel, you can use OpenOffice which is free. I would assume that there are other free options for an excel file also.

Yeah, that's what I used.

I'm a programmer, so I'm thinking about just making my own version of it.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just started doing this method this week.

My initial impressions are that I like the bottles and the way things came. Everything I needed was included, even though I didn't realize I needed them. Dosing is not difficult, however I do not understand when he talks about weighing things.

The initial cost was high($400ish), but I was expecting that, so there was no shock for that involved. When I look at what I had been paying for the additives from tropic marine and the amount I get, it doesn't seem out of line. It's just a bunch at a time. I think over time it will be cheaper and less wasteful.

I dislike that the support and such is tied to facebook as I do not use facebook, nor do I have any interest in this. I understand he's turning something he figured out into a business, but IMO he needs to get his own forum for users. It's really really really easy and cheap. Very much a turn off that he uses facebook.

I also dislike that the calculator is tied to excel, another thing I don't have and have no desire to buy. Again I understand that he's a guy turning this into a business etc, but it's just not good to require that kind of thing. In the event he posts here, I would happily write the equivalent in php, which could then be uploaded to his website and people wouldn't be forced to use that. And perhaps a printer friendly page with the dosing instructions.

I agree he needs his own forum...........it would do wonders for his business and for users. The facebook info was mostly garbage and useless.

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am looking to start the RM program. I had an ICP done from triton about 2 weeks ago. Can I use these results as a starting point and put my results in the RM assessment tool to figure out what I need to get started? I am currently dosing TM A and K and doing 10 percent weekly water changes on an SPS dominant 150 gallon. I am looking to take my tank to the next level and looking forward to starting this program.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start the RM program. I had an ICP done from triton about 2 weeks ago. Can I use these results as a starting point and put my results in the RM assessment tool to figure out what I need to get started? I am currently dosing TM A and K and doing 10 percent weekly water changes on an SPS dominant 150 gallon. I am looking to take my tank to the next level and looking forward to starting this program.
Yes you can, the only thing you won't have is Floride readings.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
as @Falcar mentioned, you can! but fluoride in the RM program is very important as Andre has mentioned. i would suggest to follow the program as closely as you can for best results!

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotcha. Im going to order an ATI test and all the elements from RM. is the ATI test monthly from the start or is there a correction period? I am currently reading through the handbook and assessment tool to get my bearings.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gotcha. Im going to order an ATI test and all the elements from RM. is the ATI test monthly from the start or is there a correction period? I am currently reading through the handbook and assessment tool to get my bearings.
they recommend doing it monthly just to learn the trend of what your tank uses/needs. some after some time do bi-monthly or every 6 months after they learn their trends.

i would wait for the ATI ICP results to know exactly what elements you’ll be needing before purchasing any elements. this way you’ll save more on the initial cost. if you have the funds to buy EVERY element, more power to you! ;)

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, I'll run the ATI first. In addition to the RM elements if I am reading this correctly I also should be ready to purchase some of the Brightwell products as well for potassium and strontium? Seachem for Iodine

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll run the ATI first. In addition to the RM elements if I am reading this correctly I also should be ready to purchase some of the Brightwell products as well for potassium and strontium? Seachem for Iodine

I use both the Brightwell products for Potassium and Strontium and Seachem for Iodine.

You'll want to wait to order the RM stuff until you know what you need. The ordering process is easy, but the shipping is on the high side (for me at least, $17) so you'll want to get what you need, instead of having most and then having to place two orders.

On the flip side, if you don't mind paying for shipping, you could start the dailies right away while waiting on your ICP, but personally I would just wait!

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that Reef Moonshiners recommends Brightwell Strontion-P for strontium, but I already have a full bottle of Seachem Strontium Advanced Powder.

Can you help me out with the conversion between the two products?
Thanks a lot!

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This are my calculations, which would like to validate and hope they end up being useful for others:

Brightwell Strontion-P Powder:
0.35g of powder will increase 1ppm in a 50 gallon system.
1g of powder will increase 2.86ppm in a 50 gallon system.

Seachem Reef Advantage Strontium Powder:
6.7g of powder will increase 1ppm in a 50 gallon system.

Seachem Reef Strontium Liquid:
20ml of liquid will increase 1ppm in a 50 gallon system.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This are my calculations, which would like to validate and hope they end up being useful for others:

Brightwell Strontion-P Powder:
0.35g of powder will increase 1ppm in a 50 gallon system.
1g of powder will increase 2.86ppm in a 50 gallon system.

Seachem Reef Advantage Strontium Powder:
6.7g of powder will increase 1ppm in a 50 gallon system.

Seachem Reef Strontium Liquid:
20ml of liquid will increase 1ppm in a 50 gallon system.

You'd probably get better responses on the facebook group.

chevy-chase.gif

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Reef Moonshiners Program for 8 months on my 400gallon system. I initially was also doing small continuous water changes but have not done water changes in about 6 months. I have been using ATI ICP testing for over a year now and have experienced great results, good color, good growth, consistent measurements with most elements. The biggest thing that I have learned from this system is to stick with the rule if you don't test it, don't dose it. Before starting moonshiners I dosed Red Sea products with some success but noticed dangerous levels of a few elements when I started ICP testing. I have used Triton ICP testing, ATI testing and both of their elements. I also tried the Corlavue test and they lost my sample. After doing a lot of research and calculations I have seen issues and weaknesses with all of the systems except for Reef Moonshiners. ATIs tests are the best value and superior to Triton in all ways with the new exception that Triton has a quicker turnaround with their new US based testing but it lacks some of the tests that I need /like including Fluorine, Nitrate, Phosphate. ATI appears to be less expensive on the surface but their concentrations are very low with Triton being 2-10x more concentrated with various elements which offsets the savings compared to Triton. I will address Reef moonshiners in the follow up post below.
I have the same size tank. It looks like the initial cost is around 420. The ATI test are 45 a month. What are the most used elements each month and do you know how much you spend on them? Thanks

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank. It looks like the initial cost is around 420. The ATI test are 45 a month. What are the most used elements each month and do you know how much you spend on them? Thanks
You don't need to test every month. I probably test every 3-4 months and it works fine. Fluorine is the one you'll probably dose the most volume. Rubidium is a monthly dose (for me). Other than that it really depends on your levels for other various elements. Some will be daily dosed in drops/day. Most will be dosed as needed when you run the ATI tests. It has been an overall positive experience for me as well.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion if you want a feel for which elements are consumed the fastest. Download the calculator. Enter your tank volume, and type Half the recommended range of Every element into the tool. At the very bottom, it will tell you how much to dose. You'll immediately see Nickel and Zinc can be ZERO, and you still dose very small amounts (single digit ml's). And elements like Bromine and Boron can get consumed 100's of ml per month.

In my 350 gallon setup, I've gone through whole bottles of an element in a single month - and wish I'd ordered more than one up front.

You clearly only need a single bottle of the Daily elements (Cobalt, Chrome, Iron, Manganese, + Iodine). They're 2 drops here, and 5 drops there, kind of elements.

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to test every month. I probably test every 3-4 months and it works fine. Fluorine is the one you'll probably dose the most volume. Rubidium is a monthly dose (for me). Other than that it really depends on your levels for other various elements. Some will be daily dosed in drops/day. Most will be dosed as needed when you run the ATI tests. It has been an overall positive experience for me as well.
Thanks McPuff! Lol

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion if you want a feel for which elements are consumed the fastest. Download the calculator. Enter your tank volume, and type Half the recommended range of Every element into the tool. At the very bottom, it will tell you how much to dose. You'll immediately see Nickel and Zinc can be ZERO, and you still dose very small amounts (single digit ml's). And elements like Bromine and Boron can get consumed 100's of ml per month.

In my 350 gallon setup, I've gone through whole bottles of an element in a single month - and wish I'd ordered more than one up front.

You clearly only need a single bottle of the Daily elements (Cobalt, Chrome, Iron, Manganese, + Iodine). They're 2 drops here, and 5 drops there, kind of elements.
Thanks and helpful! Do you do monthly ATI water samples? And do you dose the mud and vitamin supplement from moonshiners?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Initial purchase plan $4-500. Most of the elements last a very long time. I just barely reordered some of them and I'm going on 19 months. 16 months on a 120g tank and the last 3 months on a 250g.

As for testing, I found monthly for the first few months very beneficial. It gave me a pulse on which elements were depleting the quickest. Then I moved to every 6ish weeks. By the time I was taking my 120 down, I was testing every 2 months. I'm back to monthly on my new 250 so I can get a pulse again on what this tank is going through.

They might be on Andre's site but I could sure use a couple elements by the gallon to save in bulk.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back