reef-pi 6.0 - release announcement

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess @robsworld78 your going to have to write a new reefpi manual Considering yours is the only real manual. Hope this doesn’t hurt your sales.

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been runn reefpi with a pi4 been wating for driver for esp32 now it hear but have no clue how to set it up how o config the esp32. I know how to install tasmota and esphome on esp32 and config them and use Mqtt with nodered and home assent but have no idea how to get the esp32 and reefpi setup under the reefpi driver. i have search the Adafruit and github for instruction with no luck. Can we get some basic insulation - setup instructions please. @Ranjib

Moises Longhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Então, eu tenho executado o reefpi com um pi4 esperando pelo driver para o esp32 agora ouço, mas não tenho ideia de como configurá-lo como configurar o esp32. Eu sei como instalar tasmota e esphome no esp32 e configurá-los e usar Mqtt com nodered e home assent, mas não tenho ideia de como obter a configuração do esp32 e reefpi no driver reefpi. Eu procurei no Adafruit e no github por instruções sem sorte. Podemos obter algumas instruções básicas de isolamento - configuração, por favor. @Ranjib

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly that's not very helpful by itself.

Looks like it might be written using the Arduino IDE ( .ino file), so one would probably connect the ESP32 to a PC, download the Arduino Core for ESP32 and all of the necessary libraries and write that compiled code to the ESP32 using the Arduino IDE.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like it might be written using the Arduino IDE ( .ino file), so one would probably connect the ESP32 to a PC, download the Arduino Core for ESP32 and all of the necessary libraries and write that compiled code to the ESP32 using the Arduino IDE.
Spot on. Connect Esp32 with pc and use arduino ide to compile and upload that sketch. The pin out (which pin is responsible for inlet, outlet, pwm and analog input) are declared at the top of the sketch. Configure it according to your physical setup .and then once Esp32 is running use reef-pi to add the new Esp32 driver with the same pin configuration . And that’s it , now you can setup connectors using the new driver and attach equipment , ph prob etc.

the one wire (temperature ) pin is special (0th element in analog input pins) and is used through ph module in reef-pi (since that’s the only module that takes analog input )

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been runn reefpi with a pi4 been wating for driver for esp32 now it hear but have no clue how to set it up how o config the esp32. I know how to install tasmota and esphome on esp32 and config them and use Mqtt with nodered and home assent but have no idea how to get the esp32 and reefpi setup under the reefpi driver. i have search the Adafruit and github for instruction with no luck. Can we get some basic insulation - setup instructions please. @Ranjib
Yeah. I need time to get to the docs , I have started the work, but it’s far from done.

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read me text ESP32 based reef-pi driver firmware that allows outlet, pwm, inlet and analog input interface. I know what it dose I need to know how and what to install on the ESP32 and how to configure it.

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you my friend.for a supposed DIY controller allowing the general reefing community to be able to build themselves with cheap off the shelf electronics I did realize I would have to become a computer programmer learn multiple programming language. At least the Arduino IDE i am some what familiar with it and there are tons of info and resources.

andieasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1670634211067.png

sorry to bother you, but i have this warning while compiling the ino file. could you give me some advice.
im sorry, but im not really a programmer. thank you for any help

andieasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1670634211067.png

sorry to bother you, but i have this warning while compiling the ino file. could you give me some advice.
im sorry, but im not really a programmer. thank you for any help
Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows Store 1.8.57.0) (Windows 10), Board: "DOIT ESP32 DEVKIT V1, 80MHz, 921600, None, Disabled"

reef-pi:1819:172: error: unterminated comment

<td id="LC57" class="blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"> server.<span class="pl-c1">on</span>(<span class="pl-s"><span class="pl-pds">&quot;</span>/outlets/*<span class="pl-pds">&quot;</span></span>, HTTP_POST, switchOutlet);</td>

^

exit status 1

unterminated comment

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

this is the error message. any help please, thank you:smiling-face-with-halo::smiling-face-with-halo::smiling-face-with-halo:

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I downloaded the latest version of arduino 2.? First thing it asks it the chose a board. But nowhere could I find esp32 so a little help please.

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you detailed instructions later when I’m back home.
Thank you but don’t worry about it. Windows 10 updated again now half my program will not run the change the OpenGL dll files again and now magically my video graphics card doesn’t support OpenGL 2.0 anymore. So im in the process of trying to save all my old program file before I wipe it and install Linux on it.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, while I am working on some instructions, can somebody recommend a version of the ESP or a particular vendor that's good in his oppinion ?

I'm looking at cost effectiveness and adaptability, e.g. how easy/cost effective it is to source (shipping to germany) and whether there are usefull features that others do not have (e.g. a buck-boost converter that allows operation on battery for example, etc.)

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on. Connect Esp32 with pc and use arduino ide to compile and upload that sketch. The pin out (which pin is responsible for inlet, outlet, pwm and analog input) are declared at the top of the sketch. Configure it according to your physical setup .and then once Esp32 is running use reef-pi to add the new Esp32 driver with the same pin configuration . And that’s it , now you can setup connectors using the new driver and attach equipment , ph prob etc.

the one wire (temperature ) pin is special (0th element in analog input pins) and is used through ph module in reef-pi (since that’s the only module that takes analog input )
Got the code and the ESP32-Arduino core installed, but could you please provide which Libraries you included ? A quick search for AsyncTCP and AsyncWebServer for ESP32 for example resulted in 3 libraries each for slightly different platforms :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, I think I found the Asynchronous Libraries:
GitHub - me-no-dev/AsyncTCP: Async TCP Library for ESP32
GitHub - me-no-dev/ESPAsyncWebServer: Async Web Server for ESP8266 and ESP32
Those two are absolutely attrocious for the end-user as there are no release versions and you can download the files only with difficulties or by installing a coding environment that the end user doesn't need at all. Would be better to find a way to deploy the ESP32 module in one go and handle the pin settings remotely or with a settings file.

Next up: Where the hell can I find those two ? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Code:
#include <TokenIterator.h>
#include <UrlTokenBindings.h>

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing: I installed Reef-Pi 6.0. Since then I encounter a continuously higher CPU load with only a miniscule increase in Memory load:
1671031621193.png

You see a lot of spikes when I boot up the system, since I am still building it and power it down when I don't need it.
The increase in average CPU load in the middle on the left graph happened exactly on the update on the 13th of dec at 15:55.

I did experiment with lights I believe, creating two on the Raspi PWM pins and deleting them again. However, I'm not sure if that's the culprit, since I have done that several times during the 5.3 times before, and there it didn't have an effect, as you can see.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back