reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on ph probe integration in reef-pi right now. The ezo (ph circuit) driver part is done and being tested.
I realized I need a ph probe holder now, otherwise i dont have an easy way to keep the probe in backchamber. Probably I'll order something from amazon. I wish I had a 3d printer, stuff like that are perfect for 3d printing :)

I like the eshopps and bubble magnus ones the magnets are easier to set height than the plastic clips of other 3rd party ones. And i personally would not trust suction cups for probes lol.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting the IM custom cradle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6ROUJ2/
I couldn't find anything good for single probe :-/

That's a pretty nice looking probe holder! I would try that out if I needed one. Here's a picture I found of it in action - apparently it can even be used as a float switch mount. Not sure how though. Cool!
upload_2018-2-24_7-47-23.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just merged the first set of code for ph probe UI and monitoring in reef-pi: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/315
Here is a work in progress screen shot from my development version (ph values are faked).
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.19.45 AM.png

Still there is a lot to do , from adding support for alerts to equipment control etc. But this time I have added support for multiple probes from ground up (unlike the temp and ato sensor , which is only one) and also ability to edit details of existing probe.

During the development I realized that now (post 1.0 release) its considerable work to get a whole new sub-system in reef-pi. This is because during 1.0 development we introduced all the alerting, charting logic etc. So, it not jus about reading a ph, but a whole lot other things that needs to be done for a new module to be of same strength as the other modules/sub-system. I think its a good thing :)

anyway.. still a lot to do, but given there are already significant amount of changes, i might cut a minor release which will include the ph intergration and improved camera module (with motion integration for streaming video),

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Reef-pi only supports one float switch (ato)? I was hoping to add a 2nd float, to turn off the ato pump if the 1st ato float gets stuck on the on position.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-pi only supports one float switch (ato)? I was hoping to add a 2nd float, to turn off the ato pump if the 1st ato float gets stuck on the on position.
Yeah, currently only one. I am planning to change that soon, and add support for multiple ato and temperature sensor support

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Yeah, currently only one. I am planning to change that soon, and add support for multiple ato and temperature sensor support

When connecting a float switch, can I directly connect it to the rpi? If so, does a specific GPIO pin nee to be used? And I assume the 2nd float cable simply connects to a GND port?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When connecting a float switch, can I directly connect it to the rpi? If so, does a specific GPIO pin nee to be used? And I assume the 2nd float cable simply connects to a GND port?
Thanks!
You can connect it directly to pi. You have to use one of the GPIO. I dont know a way of not using gpio, as reef-pi has to monitor the state of this GPIO and check for digital input (1 or 0).
You can definitely bypass reef-pi and everything on do a simple gravity fed , or something in between (minimal circuit to support the float switch input to drive an ato pump or any other relay). This route will not require GPIO (or even pi or any software) , but then you wont get to see the pattern or act upon it.

I see value and reason for choosing any of the possible way. I personally use reef-pi with photo sensor. I have tested with floatswitch as well (to validate the reef-pi works with them) . I might employ a float switch based water level monitor permanently in one of my build, but it will probably act as a second safeguard or to do support something more complicated from reef-pi's standpoint

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a work-around until multiple floats are supported, you could connect two floats in series. In normal operation the top float would always be down/on. It would only be used if the bottom float did not turn the pump off.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
You can connect it directly to pi. You have to use one of the GPIO. I dont know a way of not using gpio, as reef-pi has to monitor the state of this GPIO and check for digital input (1 or 0).
You can definitely bypass reef-pi and everything on do a simple gravity fed , or something in between (minimal circuit to support the float switch input to drive an ato pump or any other relay). This route will not require GPIO (or even pi or any software) , but then you wont get to see the pattern or act upon it.

I see value and reason for choosing any of the possible way. I personally use reef-pi with photo sensor. I have tested with floatswitch as well (to validate the reef-pi works with them) . I might employ a float switch based water level monitor permanently in one of my build, but it will probably act as a second safeguard or to do support something more complicated from reef-pi's standpoint

I only ask because the float isn't working with reef-pi, for some reason. Reef-pi turns on the ato, but never shuts off. I know it's a working float, but I guess I'll try another, just to be safe.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ask because the float isn't working with reef-pi, for some reason. Reef-pi turns on the ato, but never shuts off. I know it's a working float, but I guess I'll try another, just to be safe.
What version you are running ? I know there was a bug in one of the early versions.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
What version you are running ? I know there was a bug in one of the early versions.

I'm running ver 1.3. The other weird thing is the float only turns on the ATO pump AFTER a reboot. Every thing else works flawlessly (light timers, temp monitoring, etc.).

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't suggest to downgrade, anything 1.2 or above should work, including 1.3.

Can you run a set of tests, with the version you have installed .
1) Keep everything connected, and remove the ato pump from outlet. i.e. let the ato controller turn on/off outlet, but dont attach anything to it
2) Set the ato check frequency to something smaller, like 5 second. and set the ato pump as control equipment
3) Open a raspberry pi terminal and check the log (sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service)
3) Take the float switch and a cup of water, dip the float switch (keep it there for 5 second) and the lift it up

what you see in the log? do you see reef-pi correctly turning on/off log ?
here is a sample configuration

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 4.39.38 PM.png

Also, can you share your ato config and the wiring of float switch

Your setup should work, i think we are missing something small (like the wiring) or theres a bug in reef-pi ATO logic. But we should be able to track it down,

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
1) I removed the pump from my ATO outlet
2) I set the check freq to 5 sec
3-4) I opened the log. It read, "ATO sub-system: sensor value 0". After I dipped my float into water the zero value did not change
5) I attached my ATO config snip. The float has two wires. I plugged one into a GND and the other to GPIO12 (physical pin 33). I even swapped the cables, just in case I had them backwards.
ATO.PNG

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I unplugged my float and the log is still reading "sensor value: 0". Is that normal? If the sensor were unplugged I thought it wouldn't be able to read any value and give some "sensor disconnected" error.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unplugged my float and the log is still reading "sensor value: 0". Is that normal? If the sensor were unplugged I thought it wouldn't be able to read any value and give some "sensor disconnected" error.
Error is not normal. Absence of error logging is normal.

Log should never say error while reading sensor (in this case a GPIO pin number, specified in the ATO UI). It should either read 0 or 1 depending upon the state (sensor is inside or outside the water). Depending upon how the float switch wired , or type of photoelectric sensor , 1 or 0 value may differ for different states (this is why reef-pi has a reverse option in the UI, same as outlets). What you should definitely see is a flip flop of 1 and 0 as you move the sensor (of floatswitch) inside and outside water. If this is not happening, then we have to look at the wiring, its a hardware/electronics issue.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you have wired? I noticed you have gpio 13 is it connected to gpio13 or pin 13?
bf1cdee461e6e5c29035163224ceb219.jpg
. Try wiring to the default pin listed here and select 25 as pin. See if that helps. The pin number is the gpio number not the pin number.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so i went through your posts one more time, :)
and i think the wiring is not right. One end of the floatswitch should go to GPIO pin (sensor) and the other end of the float switch should go to a 3.3 v or 5v power rail. You should connect a 4.7k (or 10k) resistor from the 5v- floatswitch pin to GND.

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/34947/reed-switch-wiring

eMhX21k.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back