reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any recommended sunrise / sunset hours and percentages for blues and whites?

I no longer use my black box, but i had mine at 30% white 100% blue. For sps.

As far as sunrise sunset. Set the time based on your viewing schedule. The amount of ramp time depends how subtle you want it. I have mine at a 2 hour ramp. Starting at 7:30 9:30 is max light till 7:30 pm. All off at 9:30

I would move on towards the light forum for more specifics, where saltyfilmfolks or danariddle are more the experts on lighting intensity and duration.

f9c6e7211615d4d01cd0541361fb2f34.jpg

How my ai’s are programed for sps.

denierlexiese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the vertical line, purple line, blue line, light blue line, and green line? Do you have 4 channels of light, and what do they all represent?

How did the sps do under 30% with the black boxes? How many lights did you have for how big a tank? Did you run your blackboxes the same hours as your new lights?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the vertical line, purple line, blue line, light blue line, and green line? Do you have 4 channels of light, and what do they all represent?

How did the sps do under 30% with the black boxes? How many lights did you have for how big a tank? Did you run your blackboxes the same hours as your new lights?

My current light has more channels than a black box is all, green and red are set to like 4% i think.

Most coral pur is in the blue/violet range. Red light is filtered out entirely by 100m. Red/green in higher amounts tend to lead to algae growth. Why white was only at 30% and blue at 100%

Its was a 20 gallon long 1 light 10 inches above the tank gave almost complete coverage of the tank, small amount of shadow on either end 1.5 inches or so put softies there.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really depends upon youblight strength (wattage), livestock (mixed reef , sps dominant , softies etc) and positioning of the light. You want 50-100 par for softies, 150+ for sps. Brs has a video on black box and corresponding par values, that can be you starting point, and then calculate back your percentage depending upon your livestock. This is very crude though

binay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib am facing an issue with equpiment that is timer based. The relays for ato and temperature control work fine.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib am facing an issue with equpiment that is timer based. The relays for ato and temperature control work fine.
Can you elaborate ? What issue it is. What version of reef-pi, etc. I need details to replicate this on my side, then its easier for me to fix the bug, if present

binay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1522252924488240042607.jpg
Am using version 1.4 . The equipment does not turn on/ off based on time .
15222527975141201984100.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does reef-pi UI shows the current time of the controller correctly. Its visible at the bottom of the UI, refresh the page to get recent data

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 1.22.51 PM.png

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting telemetry, I can the following error when I click on the Reload button. What could be the reason?

{"error":"Failed to reload reef-pi. Output:. Error: signal: terminated"}

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting telemetry, I can the following error when I click on the Reload button. What could be the reason?

{"error":"Failed to reload reef-pi. Output:. Error: signal: terminated"}
this is benign. its just a lazy glitch that I have not fixed. When you reload the controller (thats running inside raspberry pi), it goes out of contact with the UI (code running in your browser) for a short period of time, hence that error. I have to add logic in front end code, that for some operations, it should not wait for response (like reload/reboot/poweroff etc).

binay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the issue that i am unable to get timer to switch on / off equipment

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the issue that i am unable to get timer to switch on / off equipment
As of now, I am not sure about this. I'll try to reproduce it this weekend. Your wiring looks correct, since manual on/off is working. This is likely a bug in software or something else. All I can suggest is another round of checks, with this to understand what was reef-pi doing during that time, given your on/off works, to dig deeper. If you prefer, you can also open an issue again reef-pi code repository, that will allow us to track it specifically, but it will involve you logging in to github etc.

Code:
journalctl -u reef-pi --no-pager  --since "2018-03-30 10:04" --until "2018-03-30 10:06"

Change the above command to use specific time period when you expect the timer to go on/off, so the above command is a good for troubleshooting a timer that supposed to go on or off at 10:05 every day. reef-pi job specification.

BTW, i found a different UI bug on timer while investigating this, it should not impact any existing timers, but creating new timer was not working as I expected from UI. I'll fix that soon,

binay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now, I am not sure about this. I'll try to reproduce it this weekend. Your wiring looks correct, since manual on/off is working. This is likely a bug in software or something else. All I can suggest is another round of checks, with this to understand what was reef-pi doing during that time, given your on/off works, to dig deeper. If you prefer, you can also open an issue again reef-pi code repository, that will allow us to track it specifically, but it will involve you logging in to github etc.

Code:
journalctl -u reef-pi --no-pager  --since "2018-03-30 10:04" --until "2018-03-30 10:06"

Change the above command to use specific time period when you expect the timer to go on/off, so the above command is a good for troubleshooting a timer that supposed to go on or off at 10:05 every day. reef-pi job specification.

BTW, i found a different UI bug on timer while investigating this, it should not impact any existing timers, but creating new timer was not working as I expected from UI. I'll fix that soon,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back