reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dizzy from reading lol. But I got Reef-pi installed, VNC, and remote access all worked out and am ready to start planning the build. I have read so much info today my brain feels like mush but I looked over all the schematics and am confident with power control, temp, and ATO on parts to buy and and how to build it. @Ranjib I looked over the EZO datasheet and its very straight forward and should be an easy addition I do have a few questions and I hate to ask these this far along because I am sure they are repeats.

The EZO uses pins 3 and 5 So I am a little hazy on building a doser circuit using PWM if you are using a PH probe. This one appears to make use of the scl pin 5 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...-on-raspberry-pi.289256/page-304#post-5069339 but the adafruit lesson appears to use a software based PWM and a regular input?

I already have a BRS lab grade probe. Is this sufficient or do I need to get a new one?

I have been through the documents over and over again. I cannot find if you are using a LM2596 to break out the power where the 5 volt lead connects to on the rasberry itself. In the diagrams it goes to the lower 5 volt power bar and stops. Do you have to cut up a micro usb cable?

I really liked the idea of the perma prot hat but I dont think its going to have enough room to set up PH, power, ATO, temp, and doser. I am thinking to build everything on a full size Perma bread board. Does a standard IDE cable by chance fir the Rasberry pins?

I see a lot of builds using 2 LM2596's is there a reason for this as two separate power supplies due to total power consumption?

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a slim = 1 percent or better chance that any smart service (alexa) or (siri) would be intergrated into reef-pi?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a slim = 1 percent or better chance that any smart service (alexa) or (siri) would be intergrated into reef-pi?
Actually , this should be trivial. I have a amazon echo at home, but not using it. Since reef-pi has API, i think we just have to write an alexa skill for reef-pi using that.

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually , this should be trivial. I have a amazon echo at home, but not using it. Since reef-pi has API, i think we just have to write an alexa skill for reef-pi using that.

O that would be sweet! Even if its just to cut the pumps off for maintaince. It would be sweet!

Zekth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O that would be sweet! Even if its just to cut the pumps off for maintaince. It would be sweet!

As far as i know, Alexa API is based on Amazon Lambda functions which is not free and cloud tied.
Another solution instead of smart device like this could be to have shortcuts for macros on a mobile APP. Is that what you need/want? Also publishing mobile apps cost money but it's not consumption based like lambda functions.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as i know, Alexa API is based on Amazon Lambda functions which is not free and cloud tied.
Another solution instead of smart device like this could be to have shortcuts for macros on a mobile APP. Is that what you need/want? Also publishing mobile apps cost money but it's not consumption based like lambda functions.
Dang! What about google aiy voice kit?
https://aiyprojects.withgoogle.com/voice/

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi dashboard on adafruit.io (external). Lighting is set to diurnal cycle
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.10.34 PM.png

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I want that. how do I get that? I have figured out the ATO but my temperatures are not showing data.

ato usage.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I want that. how do I get that? I have figured out the ATO but my temperatures are not showing data.

ato usage.JPG
Can you see latest temperature reading in your reef-pi dashboard? If so, it means something has change . There was a bug in reef-pi which will impact the data emission if temperature sensor name is updated. Its fixed now, but as an work around , if you restart reef-pi it should recreate the new feeds (with new names). If this is the case, you should see errors in reef-pi log (Failed to emit data to adafruit.io ... etc)

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info and guides on reef-pi. This will be my winter project, and am looking forward to playing around with it, and seeing what other controllers and gadgets are added in the future.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I am not getting any of the io.adafruit feeds. I deleted what I had a redid them all but still no feeds of data. how can I reset it completely and start over?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I am not getting any of the io.adafruit feeds. I deleted what I had a redid them all but still no feeds of data. how can I reset it completely and start over?
What version of reef-pi you are running?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back