reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Tenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk about connectors... when I used to build 100w COB LED's I would always go for these type of connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Black-...=item5d79177140:g:DX0AAOSw43haOwvN:rk:20:pf:0

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Pin-IP68...ac168df4:m:mpjhAQZRL1tSNhhv1pCpYIg:rk:59:pf:0

Depending on how much voltage and how many pins I would need. I prefer the first ones as they are easier to just connect into and then add marine grade heat shrink.

I have some left over ones (like the first link) that I plan on using for the temperature probes for the reefpi.

Just throwing it out there for someone looking for an easy waterproof connector. So much better than the automotive style ones... I hate those.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk about connectors... when I used to build 100w COB LED's I would always go for these type of connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Black-...=item5d79177140:g:DX0AAOSw43haOwvN:rk:20:pf:0

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Pin-IP68...ac168df4:m:mpjhAQZRL1tSNhhv1pCpYIg:rk:59:pf:0

Depending on how much voltage and how many pins I would need. I prefer the first ones as they are easier to just connect into and then add marine grade heat shrink.

I have some left over ones (like the first link) that I plan on using for the temperature probes for the reefpi.

Just throwing it out there for someone looking for an easy waterproof connector. So much better than the automotive style ones... I hate those.
Those are great! Looks like the same connectors my main pump uses that I just bought an extension cable for.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

These are mini DIN connectors, I think. Mini xlr is also somewhat similar

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

The first one is what I was trying to recommend via one of the links I provided. I didn't have the time to look them up on the sites though. Thanks for providing the ebay links! @Tenny

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo, got a situation on my hands. What is the latest stable release? I tried updating to 2.0 today & it won't work at all. It's not letting me add equipment to my outlets, so I can't set timers up. Leaving for a week tomorrow & I'm definitely coming back to a dead tank if I don't get this fixed, lol. I know I probably shouldn't have messed with this the day before leaving, but I make bad decisions.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo, got a situation on my hands. What is the latest stable release? I tried updating to 2.0 today & it won't work at all. It's not letting me add equipment to my outlets, so I can't set timers up. Leaving for a week tomorrow & I'm definitely coming back to a dead tank if I don't get this fixed, lol. I know I probably shouldn't have messed with this the day before leaving, but I make bad decisions.
What version you are using?
I would say install 2.0.0-rc3 and reconfigure your setup.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of nitnoy not important. But is there a way to order the connectors list. I was doing 1., 2., 3., etc which only works till 9. The motor lines for some reason appear where ever they want no matter what I name them. Not super important. Just helps me keep equipment organized.
aea64b2e8e11d4d9f5ab6c032c3a84fb.jpg

Toby Lever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, here goes. I am no wiring genius!

I am going to get started on a Reef-pi build but going to do it step by step (ato, power control, temp control to follow) as Im Reefing on a tight budget although not sure that is possible! ££££$$$$$

First step is to convert my two channel blue/white led light (until I can afford a better light setup) into timer controlled by adding 2x 12v relays after the power supply. There are three wires to the lamp from the power supply to the lamp. Im assuming a wire for each channel and a common ground?

Any guidance on what initially I need to procure and how best to wire it would be much appreciated. Not 100% sure that this is the correct relay?

Many thanks
Toby

- Raspberry Pi Zero WH (with pre-soldered header)
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-zero-wh-with-pre-soldered-header
- 5V 3A Micro USB Mains Power Supply 3 Pin for Raspberry Pi
- 2 channel 12v relay
relay.JPG
- SD Card
- Jumper wires
- Project box
- Pair of IP65 3pin wired plug/socket to match the connectors . (Save cutting the existing cable)

My light but its a 900mm long one.

Stretch Lamp.JPG

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of nitnoy not important. But is there a way to order the connectors list. I was doing 1., 2., 3., etc which only works till 9. The motor lines for some reason appear where ever they want no matter what I name them. Not super important. Just helps me keep equipment organized.
aea64b2e8e11d4d9f5ab6c032c3a84fb.jpg

Try numbering them 01, 02, 03, etc. Without the zero in front of your single digits, 10 is seen as the number after 1, 20 would be seen as the number after 2 and so on.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try numbering them 01, 02, 03, etc. Without the zero in front of your single digits, 10 is seen as the number after 1, 20 would be seen as the number after 2 and so on.

Its strange, the "motor" connectors appear wherever they want regardless of what you name them. Its not a big deal just my OCD kicking in lol

@Ranjib are there any future plans to create a dashboard/graph/log for doser use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its strange, the "motor" connectors appear wherever they want regardless of what you name them. Its not a big deal just my OCD kicking in lol

@Ranjib are there any future plans to create a dashboard/graph/log for doser use?
Yeah, I have to come up with some ideas around this. Exactly what you would like to see? Its a timer + duration + speed thing

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back