reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Can a 2 wire temperature probe be used with reef pi?

I have 2 temperature probes:

like this from an old aqua controller 3
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/temp...B-YzbzSGaSi7HXqvVKsDteOHm7NQ1xkhoCtcUQAvD_BwE

or this one from my reefkeeper which is a 2 wire temperature probe ( black and red ) with a molex connector

or do I have to use the reefpi temperature build?

Thank you
reef-pi can support multiple temperature probe. but these reefkeeper probes wont work, you'll need ds18b20 probes. They are lot cheaper though,

Tenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not coming up? You mean reef-pi is not working ? like web page is not working? The log shows it started and temperature probe is already working..
No, it's fine now.

I was just thinking maybe it was waiting for a i2c at boot and it skipped it because it was slow and thus reefpi was throwing that error. But that wasn't the case. All is good now :)

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this thread is out of control (but that is a good thing).
A guy cant simply leave the country for two weeks without coming back and being 20+ pages and two releases behind.;Jawdrop

LOL. So much going on but so much useful info.

I just completed my Reef-pi brain box. With temp, ATO, power, and doser using the TB6612 motor driver. I used two DSUB connectors to run to the relay remote box and to my doser box. I still need to test the doser portion but am not sure how to configure the pwm outlets in reef-pi. I know it was posted somewhere in here how to set it up so I need to do some searching to find it.
483ed3f0882519ed20c59b3faf18cff9.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just completed my Reef-pi brain box. With temp, ATO, power, and doser using the TB6612 motor driver. I used two DSUB connectors to run to the relay remote box and to my doser box. I still need to test the doser portion but am not sure how to configure the pwm outlets in reef-pi. I know it was posted somewhere in here how to set it up so I need to do some searching to find it.
Dosing controller guide will be published soon, till then you can use this draft version. Make sure you have enabled pwm (explained in the very first guide).
@Diamond1 you may find this useful as well, i had to readjust the connections to retrofit my existing build (since I am using it to explain the build process).

Attachments

• reef-pi Guide 7_ Dosing Controller.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 340

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing controller guide will be published soon, till then you can use this draft version. Make sure you have enabled pwm (explained in the very first guide).
@Diamond1 you may find this useful as well, i had to readjust the connections to retrofit my existing build (since I am using it to explain the build process).

Thanks so much for this it answered a few of my questions. I didn't know about programing the virtual equipment.
Very well written and easy to understand.
Unfortunately my new rpi is toast. It started acting funny today and went downhill from there now I cant get it to boot and when it's plugged in it is getting very hot. To the point of not being able to touch it. This happened after I took it out of the case, removed the pi hat and was messing with my temp probe.
I'll be ordering a new one this week.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This looks great!

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting started with reef-pi

I have been going thru the guides but I am getting an issue now when creating a jack.

I get the following error:
upload_2018-11-18_23-26-2.png

I can create the light on the test without error but the light is off and nothing happened with dimmer:

upload_2018-11-18_23-28-23.png

What am i doing wrong?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Ranjib do you sleep lol. Thanks for this. I am a first time go! Tested with an LED and all works as expected. :)

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into this as well. Mars Aqua use 0-10v analog dimming . The dimmer is different than that ( on mine at least) They have VDM connection but this wiring should work.
As you said, it may be different on the Mars Aqua, but the SB light would not work when I had a RC filter on the circuit, so it is running on straight 10V PWM right now.
These do go below 10%, and if you start off with just blue, it works well as Sunset/Sunrise.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I love reading through your breeding posts. Did the clown pairs started spawning ?

Unfortunately NONE of my clownfish have spawned. I have around 8 pairs and you’d think those odds I have some action! But not...I just have to be patient. The reason is that they are just too young. Generally speaking, they need to be over 2yrs old. 3 of my pairs are just now getting to that point. I’m totally captivated with aquaculture and breeding marine ornamental critters. I got kinda bored with just corals so I bought a Clarkii pair as my very first clownfish. This was a couple of years ago. My other assorted clowns are still a little young to spawn.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it with the stereo plugs! I had a 3rd one fail on me today. I dont know why these things are giving me such an issue but I have to fiddle with the plug, reboot, fiddle reboot, then it finally works and I dont dare move it. Two plugs no longer holds the male end tightly, one shorted internally, and the two I have mounted are so finicky I hate unplugging them unless I absolutely have to. I want something round because cutting square holes is a pain, otherwise I would do RJ11 or Molex. I am thinking about switching to Mini-DIN plugs If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears.

images

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it with the stereo plugs! I had a 3rd one fail on me today. I dont know why these things are giving me such an issue but I have to fiddle with the plug, reboot, fiddle reboot, then it finally works and I dont dare move it. Two plugs no longer holds the male end tightly, one shorted internally, and the two I have mounted are so finicky I hate unplugging them unless I absolutely have to. I want something round because cutting square holes is a pain, otherwise I would do RJ11 or Molex. I am thinking about switching to Mini-DIN plugs If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears.

images

@b4tn - Have you considered using waterproof round connectors instead of the standard speaker connectors?
I'm fairly sure you'll find something to use in this link...

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/circular-connectors/436?FV=fffc0272,fffc02c4,ffe001b4&quantity=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&k=waterproof+connector&pageSize=500&pkeyword=waterproof+connector

Or, if you prefer to move to RJ45, here are some other options...

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/modular-connectors-adapters/379?utm_adgroup=Connectors & Interconnects

Here is another link to circular waterproof connectors. Oh, and if you do not find anything here, Mouser will probably have a good alternative.

https://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=152643603

If you find nothing to suit your application in either of the above links, hopefully you'll get some ideas, at least.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

images
I used this style, male and female panel mount non solder plugs and haven't had any issues with them. https://www.amazon.com/LUTIONS-8inc...s=3.5+plug&dpPl=1&dpID=41MgumQRW+L&ref=plSrch . If that isn't what you want, there is nothing saying you can't use terminal strips like https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...nal+strips&dpPl=1&dpID=41dWHWEBPfL&ref=plSrch

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So What I am having an issue with is not the male end. Those from adafruit are solid pieces. Its the female ends that are failing on me. I have ordered two sets from adafruit now and looks like all the ones on amazon are basically the same thing.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a random question guys. As I posted earlier, I breed fish and shrimp. I would like to ask if there is any other breeders, just to se Thier setup. It will be a little different than just reef tank. So any breeders here?

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So What I am having an issue with is not the male end. Those from adafruit are solid pieces. Its the female ends that are failing on me. I have ordered two sets from adafruit now and looks like all the ones on amazon are basically the same thing.
I didn't link to the female end, they look like the males with the screw down with connectors. Unfortunately, soldering the connectors weakens the cheap metal that the innards are made from.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How were you able to post this? I can never post files like that here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back