reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had lots of wind over the weekend and I know we lost power 2 or 3 times. I have 3 temp probes all wired directly but mine have been solid since I started using them, no anomalies. The splitter should work did both temp probes spike or just one? Looks like it was just one, if so I would just switch the probe ports and see if the spike follows the probe maybe you identify that way if it's a probe or the splitter.
Both. Probably the splitter

Kremins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I learned my lesson about Pi and VNC tonight. Went to finish up configuration and logged into VNC which basically killed all processing on the Pi. After dismantling the whole thing down to barebones equipment I finally found the culprit. SSH it is from now on.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph-jpg.991366

When calibrating the PH probe. The low and high will not drop down. Is this a problem with my build ? Low and high are greyed out.

Zekth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I learned my lesson about Pi and VNC tonight. Went to finish up configuration and logged into VNC which basically killed all processing on the Pi. After dismantling the whole thing down to barebones equipment I finally found the culprit. SSH it is from now on.

SSH is definitely the best way IMO.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best ways to cut clean ventilation slots for a small case mounted fan...aaaaand GO!!

(I have a dremel but it tends to melt/tear the material more than do a clean cut)

Sawzall! :)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, I know most users may have little experience with Linux but for instances like this I try to only load what is needed to run. More software more potential complications, while it may be a small learning curve the cli is your better option, no gui just ssh. You should be able to run whatever software and it work but for server type applications I tend to go bare bones.

Just my .02 worth been there done that, if you need help doing something from the command line just post the question or feel free to PM me, should be able to help out.

Welcome! :)

Last edited:

Kremins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Temp Sensor and Heater control. What should I set my Heater threshold to be if I want the Temp sensor to control it? Heater is currently set to 78 degrees.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Temp Sensor and Heater control. What should I set my Heater threshold to be if I want the Temp sensor to control it? Heater is currently set to 78 degrees.
If you are getting started with this, then just configure reef-pi to only monitor the temperature and not control heater (I,e, keep heater always on), that will uncover the heaters own thermostat behavior , depending upon you heater strength , tank volume and ambient temperature (you can use another sensor to measure that) your tank temperature swing will be different . After that you can use either reef-pi as failsafe mechanism by keeping reef-pi ‘s threshold more relaxed but still within safe limits , which will let reef-pi keep the heater always on, and let the heaters thermostat take control mostly, and if it does fail, reef-pi will turn it off (and alert , if configured )..... or you can configure reef-pi to more precisely control temperature by fine tuning the threshold , and adjusting the heater to slightly higher temperature , this will make reef-pi control the on /off. This will incur lesser lifespan of heater and relay due to lot more on/off . Currently reef-pi does not employ hysteresis (something I plan to implement in 3.0) which greatly reduces this frequent on/off. I use the later mechanism for my pico tank ..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best ways to cut clean ventilation slots for a small case mounted fan...aaaaand GO!!

(I have a dremel but it tends to melt/tear the material more than do a clean cut)
I use scrollsaw ... I know it’s not the right tool , but it fascinates me :) . Plywood and scrollshaw is a deadly combination , till i started using plastic enclosure, I think I’ll still go with plywood based stuff for dc on,y setup and things that require arbitrary shapes ....

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature spike for the last 3 nights at the exact same time (2034 EST). Also, the temperature probes have been falling in and out, but not at the times of the spikes. I will replace the splitter as a means of troubleshooting, but the temp spikes are kinda alarming.

temp probe error.JPG

2034.JPG
Is this a genuine spike or sensor malfunction? Do you have any extra sensor ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi zero ? Or pi 3 ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 Second interval. It's been good until this weekend. The reef-pi has been restarted a couple of times, and I have the temperature probes, both with the 3.5mm jack, but going into a basic headphone splitter.
Why reef-pi was restarted ? Was it induced by you ? Or something unknown ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back