reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been following this project for some time. Great work!!!

I tried to instal 2.4 to a pi 2b+, according to the reef-pi Guide 1: Setup and Demonstration: with updated Raspbian 4.14, systemctl enabled, one wire and I2C selected, /boot/config.txt updated. It works great, only when I use the "enable PCA9685" and reboot, then load Reef-pi in my browser it hangs with a white page and the wording: loading...

When resetting the database I can load reef-pi again in my browser.
Welcome to reef2reef :)

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Browser that is build in to raspbian, and Chrome for android.

The log was empty but that can be because i reset the database, i will try Again.

DirtDiggler2823

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I should be available to begin testing on the wireless plugs in a month or so. Is that a functionality I can implement on my end, or will it require extensive work in the CLI?

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

DirtDiggler2823

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The pH probe is doing well. I do get this error almost daily though: ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pico-pHError:write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error

pH History.JPG

DirtDiggler2823

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Noticed the resources getting used up pretty quickly recently, and when I went to log into the reef-pi, the UI was missing a lot of items. I went to reboot, and that action was delayed by about 10 seconds. I have the pH probe polling at 90 second intervals. Is that too frequent? Should I change it to hourly, or every 30 minutes?

memory creep.JPG

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Noticed the resources getting used up pretty quickly recently, and when I went to log into the reef-pi, the UI was missing a lot of items. I went to reboot, and that action was delayed by about 10 seconds. I have the pH probe polling at 90 second intervals. Is that too frequent? Should I change it to hourly, or every 30 minutes?

memory creep.JPG
We have to cross check if the culprit is reef-pi or something else running on pi. Assuming its reef-pi, I am noticing 20% memory usage increase in past 10 days. Is that assessment correct? Can you share some details around what all you have configured on the reef-pi? I can then reproduce and fix the issue. I am specifically looking at timer, lights, ato, temp controller, ph etc.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Other than the hardware, what changes are required in the reef-pi?
You need to execute a command to create the tplink driver using API (similar to ph calibration), thats all, then you can create outlet using that driver and associate it with an equipment using the normal UI

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Browser that is build in to raspbian, and Chrome for android.

The log was empty but that can be because i reset the database, i will try Again.
This is still an issue?

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
I have 3.0 and use chrome exclusively to access...3 temp sensors, 2 heater controllers ph board all reading at 60 seconds...8 outlets and 2 macros and 4 lighting pca9685 channels...steady 8 percent mem usage

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
This is still an issue?
Here are the logs:
upload_2019-6-14_7-44-8.png

It looks like a PCA9685 needs to be connected when enabling the PCA9685 option. Only then I do not expect that reef pi does not start, rather gives an error.
Can someone try the same? I have nothing connected to the PI, running 2.4 with raspbian 4.14. From a blank install just enable the "PCA9685" update and reboot.
Deleting the database afterward brings you back to a functioning reef-pi, Thanks!!

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
what command is used to create the driver?
create a file with following data (kasa.json) . Type "hs1xx" is important, this tells reef-pi that its a kasa smartplug. Change the SMART_PLUG_IP with your smar plug's IP (check your router or kasa app to get the ip ).
Code:
{"name":"KasaTest","type":"hs1xx","config":{"address":"SMART_PLUG_IP:9999"}}
Then use reef-pi api to create a new driver. Use appropriate reef-pi ip. You'll need to create the cookie.txt file using auth/signin api. if its there, it can be reused.
Code:
curl -X PUT -d @kasa.json  http://REEF_PI_IP/api/drivers -b cookie.txt
After this you should see a new driver name kasa is visible in Configuration -> Drivers section. You can go to connectors and create outlet and associate the new driver from UI . Let me know how it goes . I was ecstatic to see this working :)

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Here are the logs:
upload_2019-6-14_7-44-8.png

It looks like a PCA9685 needs to be connected when enabling the PCA9685 option. Only then I do not expect that reef pi does not start, rather gives an error.
Can someone try the same? I have nothing connected to the PI, running 2.4 with raspbian 4.14. From a blank install just enable the "PCA9685" update and reboot.
Deleting the database afterward brings you back to a functioning reef-pi, Thanks!!
this is a bug. :-( . We'll have to fix it.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
create a file with following data (kasa.json) . Type "hs1xx" is important, this tells reef-pi that its a kasa smartplug. Change the SMART_PLUG_IP with your smar plug's IP (check your router or kasa app to get the ip ).
Code:
{"name":"KasaTest","type":"hs1xx","config":{"address":"SMART_PLUG_IP:9999"}}
Then use reef-pi api to create a new driver. Use appropriate reef-pi ip. You'll need to create the cookie.txt file using auth/signin api. if its there, it can be reused.
Code:
curl -X PUT -d @kasa.json  http://REEF_PI_IP/api/drivers -b cookie.txt
After this you should see a new driver name kasa is visible in Configuration -> Drivers section. You can go to connectors and create outlet and associate the new driver from UI . Let me know how it goes . I was ecstatic to see this working :)
I just noticed this driver support was landed soon after the 3.0 alpha prerelease, so this is not present in rhat release. Are you building from master? If not, you have to wait till I cut a new release of build from master.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
I just noticed this driver support was landed soon after the 3.0 alpha prerelease, so this is not present in rhat release. Are you building from master? If not, you have to wait till I cut a new release of build from master.
I'm building from source. I'll test later today.

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

Will you watch revhtree on the LIVE #askBRStv show?

• Yes I'll tune in live at 1:30pm est!

Votes: 102 34.3%
  • No I'll have to catch the rerun!

Votes: 162 54.5%
  • Neither, I choose to make revhtree sad...

Votes: 33 11.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!