reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be comfortable relying on WiFi for critical aquarium equipment.
I have the same concern as well, but I think theres some good mechanism in place now. I am using google wifi routers (two of them) to build a mesh network at home/garage. Each of these little beasts can easily support 12-15 devices. So theres redundancy as well as isolation from my comcast/xfinity router. Which means my devices (reef-pi, model railroad controller, octoprint, garage controller, terrrarium controller etc etc) will continue function even if comcast router dies or disconnect from internet. This also gives me the ability to watch their health state from mobile app anywhere in the world and poke a hole (port forward) on-demand, without relying on xfinity's expensive packages (my xfinity ??). Its still need to be proven for long term usage, as i just introduced this in less than a month before, but i think this is something reliable enough that I can recommend. I'll keep you all posted about my learning

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI friends, I'm bala from INDIA

First of all I thank everyone how contributed their work on REEF-pi. I never think I will have automation in my aquarium. I get to know reef-pi by watching one youtube channel named Rickets Reef.

Basically I don’t know anything about electronic and programing. By seeing the support you peoples are giving. I simply ordered every items to make Reef-pi. I love to make DIY, but I never tried any DIY in electrical.

I’m having 70G main tank and 40G sump. For that I started MY reef-pi built, by Step by step Guide from reef-pi.github and reef2reef website. I successfully connected 2 temperature probe, 1 float switch, and 1 small LES to test.

Screenshot (121).png

In that I come across with some problem

1) I added one led in GPIO pin 21 and added it in equipment. if I triggered the float switch LED is turning on , but when I manually turn on the led (in Equipment) it is turning on and automatically going off after few seconds, and I try set that equipment as heater, same problem over there , turning off in few seconds ....

2) I got pca9685 to control my DIY light, in that I don’t know what is the name of the pins in pca9685 to enter in jacks option. In reef-pi.github website they entered as pin 0, 1 and 2,3 and 4,5 and 12 .how they are defining 0,1 as pin number
how to find pin number for 16 pin in pca9685

Screenshot (123).png

How did you get your metrics to display side by side?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep might be. I have 2 27 inch monitors and it works fine on either of mine but I prefer one column

looking to upgrade my rig this year, and I'd probably get new monitors as well. How goes your reef-pi?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about PWM controlling a 6v 300 ma led module?
ULN2803A IC to gate the 6v 300ma power, and Pi or pca9685 for pwm. You can also use most logic level mosfets (the one I showed in adafruit guide).

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULN2803A IC to gate the 6v 300ma power, and Pi or pca9685 for pwm. You can also use most logic level mosfets (the one I showed in adafruit guide).
OK I was just about to ask that so I can use either a ULN2803 or an N-channel MOSFET. Since I already have a ULN2803 @ 12v with 4 free slots I suppose I should try to maybe find 12v led lights and use the existing setup.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same concern as well, but I think theres some good mechanism in place now. I am using google wifi routers (two of them) to build a mesh network at home/garage. Each of these little beasts can easily support 12-15 devices. So theres redundancy as well as isolation from my comcast/xfinity router. Which means my devices (reef-pi, model railroad controller, octoprint, garage controller, terrrarium controller etc etc) will continue function even if comcast router dies or disconnect from internet. This also gives me the ability to watch their health state from mobile app anywhere in the world and poke a hole (port forward) on-demand, without relying on xfinity's expensive packages (my xfinity ??). Its still need to be proven for long term usage, as i just introduced this in less than a month before, but i think this is something reliable enough that I can recommend. I'll keep you all posted about my learning
With many of these devices having power monitoring, would it be possible to get some validation checks on whether devices are actually turned on/off when reef-pi tells them to? Additionally some monitoring of pumps and such as they start pulling more power when they are getting dirty.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back